PLEASE Check Tire Pressure

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Pirelli P-Zero's and 29 is recommended. That's what I've been running for a few years.

Finally!!! Thank you brother, that's what I needed to know!

GALA-96-GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same deal here. All hold 31 except for left front. Sometimes it holds for pressure for three weeks and then suddenly goes to 20. Sometimes it drops to 20 in a day. Some kinda voodoo hex I'm thinkin'.

:confused:

DrumrBoy,

I had the same problem with my rear passenger side tire. Take your car to a local tire shop and have them replace the valve stem. This seemed to fix the problem with my car.

S

SUN RA KAT

You should all change the air in your tires.

I did a few weeks ago - put in fall air to compensate for the lower fall temperatures and it should be good for early spring, too.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:

I can not believe all the money everybody puts in their cars, and they don't watch their tire pressure. That one day you decide to go 150 mph, and you did not notice that there was a screw in your tire, and you started out with only 15psi in your tire??? That is why I installed the "Smart Tire" system on my car. The next time you change tires, or if you just want piece of mind, the Smart Tire system is a band that runs around the center of your rim, and it gives you pressure within 1/2 a pound and Temp of each tire as well. It also has alarms that go off if it exceeds a certain drop in pressure or rise in temperature. I pull out of my garage, and every tire is 29 psi exactly. Then after driving 15 minutes they are up to 32 PSI and it is only 60 degrees out. It sure gives me piece of mind, knowing I can read any tire's pressure within 1/2psi at any time. especially before I am going to go fast.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I installed the "Smart Tire" system on my car. The next time you change tires, or if you just want piece of mind, the Smart Tire system is a band that runs around the center of your rim, and it gives you pressure within 1/2 a pound and Temp of each tire as well. It also has alarms that go off if it exceeds a certain drop in pressure or rise in temperature. I pull out of my garage, and every tire is 29 psi exactly. Then after driving 15 minutes they are up to 32 PSI and it is only 60 degrees out. It sure gives me piece of mind, knowing I can read any tire's pressure within 1/2psi at any time. especially before I am going to go fast.
I bet you also want cruise control and traction control. :D Oh yeah, I've driven my GTS at 160mph with a plugged rear.

I've also heard that the more smart devices attached to the car, the greater the chances of developing degenerative brain diseases such as Parkinsons. :eek: ROTFLMAO. That is why I drive a dumb 97.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: I guess Larry Macedo's concern of it being very dangerous does not apply to you??? A good friend of mine installed this system before I did, and the second time he was out on the track at Thunderhill, he had his alarm go off, and he had no intention of coming in, but when he did he had picked up a big metal object on the track that cut his tire. It had only 8 psi when he got into the pits. That sold me. So you can be brave "Toolman", and I will be safe. How did you get the name "Toolman", if you are already not anal about having lots of tools???

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
31.5 in all four corners.
Got Venom, could you please provide us with more details or a link to the system you are using? I find it interesting.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Smartire system a few months ago. The sensors I got are part of the valve stem unit instead of band-mounting to the inside rim. I recommend getting the optional pressure/temp display unit.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteHow did you get the name "Toolman", if you are already not anal about having lots of tools???

[/QUOTE]
That's a long story. But what has having lots of tools got to do with installing sensors and gadgets in the car? I do a visual check on all my tires before I drive. And then follow it up with a tire pressure check on a weekly/monthly basis depending on the ride. I confess to having 22K miles on my tires.

For those that don't know, a simple way to detect low tire pressures in the front tires is vibrations in the steering wheel. Low tire pressures in the rear are harder to detect but a common sign is a softer ride and an uneven jounce. Another way to test is to take your hands of the wheel while braking on level ground. If the car turns to one side, that side has the low pressure.

So I use these methods to stay in touch with my rides. They are tried and tested and keep me ahead of a serious issue. I have detected engine issues well before OBDII did. That's why I like my car dumb. Sensors may be fine for some but if you don't have your basics right, their failure can have serious consequences.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Scott said: "Ive been running 35 psi per Jon B. Is that wrong???"

To me, it depends on the type of tires, and your planned use. But, IF you are running 35lbs. air pressure in your tires because they are the original XGT's...I say "that is wrong" since at this point those tires are so old (regardless of mileage) that they are a danger to your driving safety ...and should have been retired from sustained highway use (not to mention high speed usage !!!) long ago.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you get the name "Toolman", if you are already not anal about having lots of tools???
That's a long story.

This is a long thread, we have plenty of time...go for it.

For those that don't know, a simple way to detect low tire pressures in the front tires is vibrations in the steering wheel.

Just a thought...but could front tires being out of balance have anything to do with vibrations in the steering wheel?

Another way to test is to take your hands of the wheel while braking on level ground. If the car turns to one side, that side has the low pressure.

hmmmmm...I guess road surface and alignment aren't part of the equation.

So I use these methods to stay in touch with my rides. They are tried and tested and keep me ahead of a serious issue. I have detected engine issues well before OBDII did.

Who needs OBDII with you around. Next time someone has a check engine light they can just go to you. You should move out to California and get a job with the California Air Resource Board. We can use you instead of OBDII, a sniffer and a dyno for SMOGII testing.

That's why I like my car dumb.

With a PCM being at the center of your power, I would hardly call a 1997 Viper "dumb." I guess you would call a 1965 Shelby GT 350 a retard.

Sensors may be fine for some but if you don't have your basics right, their failure can have serious consequences.

It would then be fair to say that your opinion is that Indy teams, F1 teams and Nascar teams should ditch all of their sensors and that crew chiefs have no need to monitor telemetry from their racecars.

This is an excellent thread and tire pressure is extremely important. Just ask Ford and Firestone about tire pressure and Explorers. Also, don't forget to check the tire pressure in the spare tire. Last time I checked mine it was down to 15 PSI.

As for the Smart tire system. I've never heard of it but thanks to this thread I would consider using it in addition to checking visually and with a gauge.

Avi, dude, you crack me up. Thanks for the entertaining post. :D Forget the name "Toolman." That would just imply that you're a "tool." From now on you're known as "OBDIIman."

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: Dave, Good comeback on digital technology helping us do just about everything these days, and I don't even own an Ipod or a TIVO or a Blackberry or a .... Here is the link to Smartire

http://www.smartire.com/products/passenger/index.html

On the page it shows digital displays. The third one from the top fits right into the center vent on your Viper. I machined a few billet aluminum ones with the Viper logo milled into it, and it looks like OEM on my car and a few of my friends cars. Ted May at Valaya Racing has a few extra I gave him to install on peoples cars. It is so easy to use. They just mount a strap around the inside of your rim, with a lightweight sensor that gives very accurate information to you constantly. Of course the best time to do this is when you are getting new tires put on your car. Because I did not want to have them dismount and remount and re-balance and align etc. just to put this system in.