Please help - strange steering feel

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2004 SRT 10. When I am backing down my driveway or turning into my driveway (anytime one wheel is higher than the other), I sometimes get this wierd feeling in the steering wheel. It is hard to explain but it feels like the front axle is being plucked like a ruber band. I can even feel it a little in the peddles.

I was assuming the source of the feeling was due to the springs/steering on the car being so tight.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about.

Please help.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Lack of PS fluid will make the pump whine when it pumps bubbles/air, but not this..

Definitely nothing wrong with the springs, even if if the noise does come from one of them.

-How does the car track at high speed?? check tires for uneven wear.
-Are you sure it is only when the wheels are uneven??
if so, try switching sides, see if the problem is in both sides.

I am pretty sure it is some loose part in one the suspension linkages. these test will point us in the right direction.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And remember if its hot the fan will be on, from memory it shares the PS fluid.

OP
OP
B

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could it be the struts or the rocker arms?? It is definitely not any type of pump or motor.

I only feel it when I am pulling down or up my driveway on an angle. It is as if something in the wheel well is being plucked so that it vibrates for an instant.

I am guessing by the responses that nobody has ever felt this before.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry meant to say it seems to cause a slight vibration on full lock when the fan is on on my car not sure why but I checked the fluid and the level is fine.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Bookie if you have no warranty you can have the alignment checked. And tell the technician to look for loose parts in the suspension.

Chances are something is jumping in and out of place.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote "And remember if its hot the fan will be on, from memory it shares the PS fluid. "

Yes the fan uses the same fluid and pump as the power steering and it does feel funny when the fan comes on.

Robbie

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has that strange sensation in the steering wheel when the car is hot and you turn the wheel tight while moving slowly. It's done it from day one. I think it's because the fan and power steering pump are now run off the same belt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery