Plug Wires

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I was putting on the Ceramic Coated Gen 2 Headers last weekend (fun job by the way..), found a burnt plug wire. I repaired it (runs much better now :p ) but noticed that they are about 5 years old and want to replace them. Was looking at the Magnecor 8.5 wires, I used them on my last car and was very impressed with the quality and fit.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get these in Canada? If I can find them up here saves the costs of bringing them in from the states (exchange, brokerage, shipping, etc). Alternatively, if I have to bring some in from the states, I saw a new set on e-bay for around $125US, is that a good price?

As usual, any input is appreciated!

Jay

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm....just checked partsrack.com and they only list the Magnecor's for $169....seem to recall some negative feedback (ok, too much e-bay for me) about the MSD's while searching through old threads the other day...will check

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After reading some more threads on plug wires, everyone seems to have a different opinion. JohnB at Partsrack seems to like the Magnecors, but Sean Roe supplies the MSD's for his supercharged customers. Then others say stock OEM works just fine. Since I have no heat shields on with the ceramic coated headers, I'd like to find a set that have pretty healthy boots. Cost is also an issue...don't mind paying a reasonable price for a decent wire, but I'm not super or turbo charged, so don't need overkill either....Red would be nice though!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If $$$ is not an issue, Nology Wires are by far the best and come shielded with high temp braiding and have their own grounding straps. Mean looking and performing wire =) We can get them to you at a good price if you'd like as well ;)

What's a "good price"? :confused: .

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Made a few calls this morning and this is what I found.

Dealing here in Canada......

My buddy at the dealership gets me stuff at his cost, which is dealer cost plus 10%. List on stock OEM replacement wires is $170, my/his cost is $120.

After a call to Magnecor, they apparantly don't even have a distributor in Canada, and after a few calls to local speed shops, no one seems to have them. Magnecor was nice enough to offer to sell me a set direct for $200US...

Everyone seems to have MSD's. Got prices from $170-200 Canadian from the 3 shops I called.

Add onto these prices our lovely 15% taxes of course.

Those $125 set of Magnecor's on e-bay are looking pretty good...although once I convert to Canadian, add shipping, brokerage fees and taxes I'm still at $200C easy!

Jay

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have MSD's on my car, and had them on two of my previous cars too. I like them.

And they're red....

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told to get the OEM wires by most people. I also called Chuck Tator, The Viper Wizard, at (914) 763-3136 and he said the same thing. He also shipped them to me with no shipping charge and 20% off.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS BLANK in your profile......

Wires do DIE, and they 'bleed' HP as soon as 10k-12k miles, Sooner w/ hot-headers or track use. We had a guy add Belanger headers/exhaust and wires and plugs..He happily proclaimed a 105 HP gain. 60 HP was plugs/wires ! He never noticed the loss over time.....

PartsRack urges you to consider MagneCor for several reasons, the best of which is their LIFETIME warranty! VCA $159 US.) And we will toss in a neat freebee!

We mail to CANADA (and worldwide) and are very "CREATIVE" in the export-NAFTA paperwork to minimize your taxes/duty. We offer MSD at $99, and OE if YOU insist. Heck, if you just want CHEAP we can even do used ! If you ask the big tuners, NO ONE recommends OE wires. Dodge Dealers love OE. Dodge-sponsored cars run OE. Duhhh.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Recently replaced my wires with a set I found Ebay. They are Mopar Performance 8.5 wires and cost $50. What is great about this set is that the wires are already have the fiberglass sock(see picture)and come with wire holders including long metal holders, I guess used for after market header setups :2tu: . The link below is the ebay auction I bought them from.

Mopar Performance Wires

A higher res in my gallery
8593DCP_1048-med.JPG

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wires do DIE, and they 'bleed' HP as soon as 10k-12k miles, Sooner w/ hot-headers or track use.

And they also make a tasty snack for our little rodent friends.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Will check into the link for the MP wires above, sounds like a great deal! Blues ok, matches the stripes on the car :2tu:

If they don't work out, will call Jon about the MSD's for $99 and "creative" :rolleyes: exporting to Canada, makes a big difference!

Jay

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm...the ones they have for my 94 are the MP Blue wires but they are only 7.5mm....they are also only $35.00...I don't mind spending $99 for the MSD's if they are really that much better, but does going from 7.5mm to 8.5mm make that much of a difference? Most the car will have done to it is the Gen2 headers already done, 3.55 gears (soon) and maybe 1.7 RR upgrade, that will probably be it unless I win the lottery or a supercharger/TT kit...:)

Jay

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MoPar (blue) Wires are notorious for NOISY STATIC esp in AM radio, despite their claims otherwise.

ORECA replaced wires every RACE... and Mopar GTS-R Insulated wires were sponsored, free. Of COURSE they used em !!!!!

I prefer MagnaCor

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had trouble with the MSD"s. After three weeks two wires broke down, arcing thru the boot. Then two more started miss firing. I replace them with Magnacor after a lot of headache trying to find the problem since I had just installed new wires.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just put on the Mopar wires today, nice quality wires, as said before they come with the metal holders and heat shielding. great wires especially minus the viper tax for only $50