Poor Quality control issue

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took possession of my car in April. I didn't notice that the front emblem was severely crooked until I washed it after a few weeks. I thought I could deal with it but it looks awful. I went on a plant tour and saw about 5 people going over a new car with white gloves and clipboards. How in the world did they miss this? I guess I will have to take it all the way back to the dealer and have them straighten it out. What do you think?

Post Script- I am not a super picky person- it looks a lot worse in person than in this picture. I couldn't get a good angle on it since it was in garage and to close to the wall.

Attachments

• viper emblem.jpg
    viper emblem.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yikes :omg: That's severely crooked. I'm shocked it got through final inspection as well.

I would take it back post haste....good luck.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took possession of my car in April. I didn't notice that the front emblem was severely crooked until I washed it after a few weeks. ..... How in the world did they miss this? .............
I couldn't get a good angle on it since it was in garage and to close to the wall.

Did you mean to type "in the garage?" :smirk:

I'd say that they missed it the same way as a very picky owner might miss it for a few weeks.

I worked for many years in the space electronics industry with so many QA steps that it drove the price crazy due to slowing production, yet defects still get through. It is the nature of handmade products.

I'm sure that those people were focusing on paint defects, flaws in finish, etc. and didn't notice the angle of the emblem.

By the way, this is a manufacturing defect, not a QA issue, IMHO. ( I was in manufacturing; NOT, QA and was aggravated plenty by their sometimes not finding defects that were made by the manufacturing personnel. However, I totally understand that the cause is a manufacturing issue, often from overloading QA with defects or product.)

PS: I agree, have it fixed

( edit: oops, After rereading, I see that OP said "NOT a super picky person." My initial QA didn't catch that.)

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How in hell's creation did you miss that for TWO WEEKS? How in the hell did they miss that at the plant? That is buck wild ********....

SANCHOBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy fix....warm with a hair dryer,pull off , reposition. I replaced mine with a new one:dunno::D

Reaction score
I took possession of my car in April. I didn't notice that the front emblem was severely crooked until I washed it after a few weeks. I thought I could deal with it but it looks awful. I went on a plant tour and saw about 5 people going over a new car with white gloves and clipboards. How in the world did they miss this? I guess I will have to take it all the way back to the dealer and have them straighten it out. What do you think?

Post Script- I am not a super picky person- it looks a lot worse in person than in this picture. I couldn't get a good angle on it since it was in garage and to close to the wall.
Was there a repair done to the nose prior to delivery?

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy fix....warm with a hair dryer,pull off , reposition. I replaced mine with a new one:dunno::D

Yeah, I was thinking complete removal with the hairdryer and some fishing line, but now that I think about it, you might not even have to do the "pull off" step. I'd just warm it up and twist it a bit to the right and see if that works.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say that they missed it the same way as a very picky owner might miss it for a few weeks. [/SIZE][/FONT]

That's a little disingenuous. Folks at the plant are paid to catch that stuff. The dealership employees are as well. The only error the buyer made was in assuming that for a hundred grand, little things like this wouldn't happen.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OP's initial post does not say he picked the car up at the plant. If he did not pick it up at the plant, why is everyone assuming it happened at the plant as opposed to sometime during the delivery to the dealer or at the dealer? Or even after he picked it up when someone tried to steal the emblem and failed.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OP's initial post does not say he picked the car up at the plant. If he did not pick it up at the plant, why is everyone assuming it happened at the plant as opposed to sometime during the delivery to the dealer or at the dealer? Or even after he picked it up when someone tried to steal the emblem and failed.

Excellent points.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this ever gets to court, I'm recommending you to FCA.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it ***** and shouldn't happen, lets be fair - if thats the worst issue you have, then there isn't much to complain about. It should take 2 minutes to fix, most of that time will be waiting for the hair dryer to heat up sufficiently.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might not have happened at the plant. Teenagers around here have been stealing emblems and hood ornaments off of high-dollar cars for years. Could have had one of them attempt to steal your emblem, but couldn't get it off. Something to consider.

OP
OP
K

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry that I have not updated my post. I will try the hair dryer technique and twist the emblem into the proper position. I picked the car up at the dealer the day it was delivered. I suppose the emblem may have been tampered with at the dealership but highly doubt it as it was not in the public showroom and was only there for a few hours. There is no way someone tried to steal the emblem (as they did on my gen 3) since it was in my possesion because the vehicle has only been driven about 200 miles and never was left parked other than my locked garage. Unfortunately it is the rainy season here in Florida and I haven't had her out nearly as much as I would like to! No matter what the reason-totally unacceptable that a $100K car would have that flaw at delivery. I am not losing sleep over it but just thought it interesting to fellow owners. I will post the results of the ****-eyed emblem repair as soon as I can. Thanks to all that chimed in!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have no right to complain if you have billet silver, that's my fav color, but don't tell my car.

Seriously, good luck with trying something simple, I guess that can happen, guys have gotten cars with bolts missing, so, it is a human process, although, that's darn crooked, it is amazing it wasn't caught. Good luck and congrats on a beauty of a car.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your post. Since you picked up the car at the dealer, there is no data to suggest or prove that it was a manufacturing error. It is more likely that it happened during shipment; offloading the vehicle from the carrier; or, prepping the car at the dealership. In any event, it is a very easy fix. Enjoy your snake.

Sorry that I have not updated my post. I will try the hair dryer technique and twist the emblem into the proper position. I picked the car up at the dealer the day it was delivered. I suppose the emblem may have been tampered with at the dealership but highly doubt it as it was not in the public showroom and was only there for a few hours. There is no way someone tried to steal the emblem (as they did on my gen 3) since it was in my possesion because the vehicle has only been driven about 200 miles and never was left parked other than my locked garage. Unfortunately it is the rainy season here in Florida and I haven't had her out nearly as much as I would like to! No matter what the reason-totally unacceptable that a $100K car would have that flaw at delivery. I am not losing sleep over it but just thought it interesting to fellow owners. I will post the results of the ****-eyed emblem repair as soon as I can. Thanks to all that chimed in!

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2014 GTS had small jelled particles in the clear coat. There were between 5 or 6 per sq. in. over 2/3 of the lower fascia. How is it the painter-- Q C at Pre Fix--Q C at the Viper plant didn't catch it. There was
an oil filter leak and just yesterday I went to open the rear deck lid and the little button was GONE. Q C isn't working at Viper

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you buy your car new? If you picked up your car from a dealer, it is more likely that everything you described happened during the unloading of the vehicle at the dealer and afterwards. I would guess the front fascia was damaged during transportation and/or unloading and the dealer had it fixed by a less than competent body shop. The oil filter leak and the button issue could have also happened at the dealer.

One of the good dealers who sponsor this site would have done a detailed inspection of the car; picked up any issues;and, taken care of them before releasing the car to you. Unfortunately, not all dealers are created equal.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is HAND BUILT.....by highly distracted PEOPLE. Of course $hit is gonna happen.

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantak I respect you defending dealers many good few not so good. I did buy the car new-- oil drip on garage floor they replaced the filter. Its possible the dealer (or) repainted the fascia if so they did a good
job matching the GTS stripes and color (no bump) im sure they would have seen the jelled particles. I used the deck lid button many times before it disappeared. Don't get me wrong I like my Viper(s) I just
think there is room for QC improvement.