Possible Buy?

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=161913133&dealer_id=&car_year=1995&make=DODGE&distance=any&max_price=35000&model=VIPER&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min_price=10000&address=45244&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=406

I found this on AutoTrader.com I am not sure if anyone has seen it before or not. It says OBO and the asking price is not a lot at all. I am going to call about it later on. ( Called but there was no answer. ) Anyone heard about it or reasearched it. It's not Green, but it is yellow. And we all know Yellow is the fastest color...lol

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is safe to say it's worth some time to investigate!!
Let us know what comes of it! Good luck!

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 95 - higher mileage problems ?

Ok, let's say I found this awesome Viper. And let's also presume that everything " checks out ". And let's presume I am SERIOUS about buying it. It has appx. 60k on it. Are there any problems ( particular to higher mileage 95s ) I need to know about?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember, only on this board is a 60k, 9 year old car thought of as "high miles".

Head gaskets are the only concern, and that wouldn't change if it had "low" miles.

Vettes with about the same components as a Viper commonly run 200k miles without any real problems.

There isn't any reason to think that a Viper would wear out any faster.

Where did all this low miles crap start anyway?

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So I should inquire specifically about head gaskets ? Also, regular maintnence records and so forth?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, ask if the head gaskets have been changed and if so, have they been changed to the new type.

There is a thread that has pictures of the underside of the engine, showing what leaking gaskets look like and showing how one can tell if the new, metal gaskets are in place.

The next question would be, "does everything work"?

The next question would be, "has it ever been hit"?
Some folks think getting hit and fixed doesn't mean wrecked. So don't just ask if it was ever wrecked.

As far as maintenance, sure, look to see that the oil has been changed at decent intervals.
It would be great to see that the cooling system had been flushed a few times as well as the brake fluid and rear end.

$35k sound's a little high for a 95 with 60k miles. I'd say that the price, with the head gaskets changed and in condition to pass your state inspection, should be no more than $30k.

UVBINBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

only Dimitrios would bring up the guys name

lol

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Francisco:

You may want to check with a lending institution first to see if they will lend to you. Many want to see an individual that has consistent employment before they give up the mean green. They may relax their rules a bit if you have a co-signor. You have probably already checked into that though......just a thought.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with the actual owner. I got the following information from him.

Body: There are no cracks or dents in the body. It has minor scratches. Mainly located in bottom of fascia and maybe sidesill area.

Brakes: Brakes are relatively new. They were " serviced " last year.

Tires: Rear tires are new with under 500 miles and front with under 1500.

Engine: It does not now nor has it ever leaked. However, the head gaskets have not been replaced. It has about 64,000 miles on the car.

Interior: Interior is relatively good condition. Only wearing is minor on seats. Stitching is still very good.

History: It has never been wrecked or anything needing to be " fixed ". This is second owner and has a signed paper stating this.

Extras: it comes with " Z-Mania windows. It has a aftermakret sound system. It has 2 amps, kicker speakers, and a 6 ( maybe 10 ) disc cd changer. it also comes with a Viper alarm.

So, now with all this info, what do you guy ( and gals ) think ?

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol...I don't knwo if I should say it or not until we come to a " final agreement ". It however would be bought relatively cheap.

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy it...I want you to have a Viper! You don't "WANT" a Viper anymore, you "NEED" a Viper!

I would say $25,000 to $27,500 would be a decent deal. I would not pay $30,500 -- no way. But this looks like the Viper that will get you started and it seems that the Viper community wants you to be an owner for sure! :2tu:

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I get one of these " jobs " I have been " offered "...then I WILL buy it. To me $30,500 seems like way more of a " starting point " as far as buying price.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, you have no idea man. I have now two cars that are a possibility. Had another job " offer " today. It is for $11/hour but is only for a month. NOw, while it would pad my account like $1,700+ , if I were to take it, I may not get the other job. That job offers up to $13/hour and would last a lot longer. I wouldn't be able to get a loan with a SHORT temp job. A longer, more permanent job yes. So I pray to God I get the other one...like I said, if I do...I AM BUYING IT!!!

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Possible Buy?...Insurance

Found out some " good news ". I went through Geico to check insurance for a 1995 Dodge Viper. I listed it under my own self, with my two tickets and one accident in past 5 years. Earlier on I listed max insurance would be $200 a month. Turns out it would be less then $200 a month. I can now figure putting the " saved " money from insurance into the finance charges.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So, you might be able to get a temp $11/hr job.
Better go get that Viper right away.

Look, the insurance alone will take over 10% of your pre tax income.
Are you crazy? You can't afford a Viper. You can't afford a Focus.
Sorry, but you are about to make a big mistake.

Anyone telling you to buy it isn't looking out for you. You will be very sorry if you buy an expensive car at this stage of your life.

Now all this changes if your parents are standing buy to bail you out. Is that the case?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe you're nuts. $11 an hour in a temp job is more than enough money to afford a Viper. Half the kids that work at McDonalds here have Vipers.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cisco - just wanna add that there is much more to the Viper than insurance and the actual car payments. you wanna do better than just breaking even...maintenance is gonna cost you too - oil changes, tires, tons of premium gas, busted half shafts (like me, lol) - it adds up...

i'm not saying dont do it, but make sure you factor at least another $400/month to own it "comfortably" -

i hope it works out for ya though -

mileage is perfect on it for what you want it for...i have the same mileage on my 94 as well...look more at condition and previous maintenence...if you're like me, you plan on driving the wheels off it

good luck

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Half the kids that work at McDonalds here have Vipers. [/quote ]LMFAO Craig,then where is your's or is it Daddy's. :rolleyes:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's the deal about Cisco, whatever he makes has double the buying power because he lives at home. So, 20 is equivalent to 40, etc. He can put a greater percentage of his income into his car. That's why he CAN afford a Viper.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's the deal about Cisco, whatever he makes has double the buying power because he lives at home. So, 20 is equivalent to 40, etc. He can put a greater percentage of his income into his car. That's why he CAN afford a Viper.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang