Possible gains...

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are there any gains by converting a Gen II to side exit exhaust? I would think so due to no long having to travel around the rear axel. Does anyone know?

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, when Dodge went to the Gen II design with the exhaust routed out the rear of the vehicle, they actually GAINED 10 or 15 horses!! That was the reason for the increase in rated HP in the GEN II engines. I wouldn't change mine for sure!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It saves 36 lbs of weight. Louder Note. And cools the sills; No significant HP gain, intake / cats / mufflers matter

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I remember right, when Dodge went to the Gen II design with the exhaust routed out the rear of the vehicle, they actually GAINED 10 or 15 horses!! That was the reason for the increase in rated HP in the GEN II engines. I wouldn't change mine for sure!!

Not exactly true, sir...."Partial Credit' !

The 96 GEN 1 engine at 400HP added 15HP vs 92-95 Sidepipes, when the 96 gen 1 415HP went to rear exhaust. [But it was NOT a Gen 2 motor.] That 15HP was partially attributed to the rear exhaust, and mostly to the elimination of the Anti-Reverb intake cannisters on the 92-95. They were a restrictor intended to make the sidepipes quieter, so were not needed in 96/rear exit

The Gen 2 was a TOTALLY different motor, rated at 450HP. "Lightweight" vs G1, the only carry-over internal parts were some seals and bearings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm not claiming to be a good source of knowledge on the mechanics of vipers, yet, but I believe it was a redesign of the engine from Gen I to Gen II most notably the more aggressive cam.

Anyone with it done who has before and after numbers and sound info?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
THE YEAR MATTERS..... 96-97 gains more than 2001-2002 for example

I am quite confident that I did the 1st one, and about 30 more afterwards. It was done on a 1996 GTS # 0030, in July/Aug 1996. He wanted to look like show-car GTSs of VOI 1+2.
It Gained 20HP. [That said, adding the KNs and tubes added 15 of those 20 !]

Like I said, NOT a significant HP gain... Looks badass-costs $$$, sounds better, muffler matters. Owner is the guy who owns Russo-Steele auctions......

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well I have a '98 and my personal taste is for the Gen II but I did always love the side exhaust from the Gen I. I understand in general that exhaust will bump me about 20-40 hp (if I'm wrong please correct me)so i figure if it gives me at least the same results in performance but that added bad assness, then that's a route I would consider.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen2 with side exhaust is the best of both worlds IMO. im just too cheap to do it myself..lol