Powder coating brake calipers versus painting

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the advantage of powder coating something versus just painting it? G2 supposedly make a really good paint for painting calipers. It would be much less expensive than powder coating.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Powder coating is simply a much more durable coating. Regular paints take on brake dust, fade, and are much more susceptible to solvents than Powder Coating.

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Can anyone tell me what the advantage of powder coating something versus just painting it? G2 supposedly make a really good paint for painting calipers. It would be much less expensive than powder coating.

Powder coating is the process of coating a surface in which a powder material is applied using an electrostatic or compressed air method. The applied powder is then heated (cured) to its melting point, after which it flows to form a smooth film which dries to a firm, durable finish very resistent to scratches, cracking, peeling, UV rays and rust.

The unique application characteristics of powder coatings provide superior consistency and uniformity of finish without sags, drips, runs, or bubbles. They provide extremely tough, durable films, enhancing the high quality, value-added image of consumer products. In general, the performance properties, such as impact resistance, flexibility, and corrosion resistance, of powder coatings are better than with liquid paints. Powder coated parts resist cracking, peeling, and marring during handling and normal service use. In many cases, merchandise is specifically being advertised as "POWDER COATED" because of the quality image it projects.

:cool:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Powder coating is the process of coating a surface in which a powder material is applied using an electrostatic or compressed air method. The applied powder is then heated (cured) to its melting point, after which it flows to form a smooth film which dries to a firm, durable finish very resistent to scratches, cracking, peeling, UV rays and rust.

The unique application characteristics of powder coatings provide superior consistency and uniformity of finish without sags, drips, runs, or bubbles. They provide extremely tough, durable films, enhancing the high quality, value-added image of consumer products. In general, the performance properties, such as impact resistance, flexibility, and corrosion resistance, of powder coatings are better than with liquid paints. Powder coated parts resist cracking, peeling, and marring during handling and normal service use. In many cases, merchandise is specifically being advertised as "POWDER COATED" because of the quality image it projects.

:cool:

These are all the reasons why I coated my wheels!

416IMG_0890-med.JPG