Power loss!!

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a '05 w/ just over 7K miles.

Last night went for a quick drive, and the car just did not sound right (tame exhaust) and seemed to have a major power loss on the low end, I mean I could barely spin the tires in low gears without flooring the car..

There are no codes, car is in top shape, never had a problem yet.

I guess Ill get the car to the shop next week, but I want to make sure the tech there is looking in the right direction, does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?

Reaction score
Are there any mods to the car? You might have a cat plugging but that should show a check engine light. The brakes could also be dragging for some reason.

OP
OP
K

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are there any mods to the car? You might have a cat plugging but that should show a check engine light. The brakes could also be dragging for some reason.

No, no mods- bought it from ya'll almost 3 years ago exactly. And, that is exactly how it feels, like the ebrake is up, and holding the car back.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens if you push in the clutch and take the car out of gear at speed? does the car slow down faster than normal?

sjohnso2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 04 with about 32,000 miles. Just got it a few weeks ago from a dealer. Starting having power loss at about 3500 rpm, didn't matter if I was in 1st or 2nd. The Dodge Viper tech checked it out and said both catylic converters were plugged up. They changed them out (luckily I got the extended Dodge warenty). Car seems to be ok now.

I am concerned as to why they fouled and have an appointment to go back and have them clean injectors, tune up, etc.

If anyone else has had fouled cataylic converters, I would love to hear what you found.

Reaction score
The Viper runs pretty rich already in stock form. The 02 sensors could have been bad and cause false readings resulting in an even richer mix. This could easily ruin the cats in short order.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, when I run my 06 hard after many miles of just cruising I sometimes get a strong converter smell, is that because of the rich conditions, I didnt seem to get that on my previous two vipers

Reaction score
The 06' cars have a change in the programming that will ADD even more fuel if it sees the converter temps to high. The thought is the raw fuel will cool the cats down and make them last for the 100K period.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had this happen on my Hummer and it is just like sjohn described. I could push on the gas but it did not want to go. It reminded me of when a 4 barrel carb would bog down.

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 06' cars have a change in the programming that will ADD even more fuel if it sees the converter temps to high. The thought is the raw fuel will cool the cats down and make them last for the 100K period.

So we're dumping raw fuel into the cats ( which are hot say 400 degrees). What engineer decided this was smart ???:drive:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a '05 w/ just over 7K miles.

Last night went for a quick drive, and the car just did not sound right (tame exhaust) and seemed to have a major power loss on the low end, I mean I could barely spin the tires in low gears without flooring the car..

There are no codes, car is in top shape, never had a problem yet.

I guess Ill get the car to the shop next week, but I want to make sure the tech there is looking in the right direction, does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?

Bad gas?

Had the same problem in my 05 Viper when I filled up at a Mobil in Malibu one night.

Ran that crap out of the tank and it's been fine since then.

Tim

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad gas is definitely a good thought. How long has the gas been in the tank Ken? We also should have a dyno day coming up on Sunday the 18th. You could dyno the car to see if there is in fact a HP loss and by about how much. Last year we definitely saw something going on with Kellys car on the dyno.