Power Steering Fluid Flush Question

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at my power steering fluid to freshen it up and it still has the clear PS fluid and not the red ATF fluid. What is the best way to fully flush it. Am i alright just to change out the fluid in the reservoir multiple times or do i need to do a full drain, flush, and fill with ATF fluid?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes you can use mopar trans fluid 4-- and drain n fill like you state is fine- no flush needed as could lead to problems also

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? I had always heard the ATF+4 and the Power Steering fluid should not be mixed. It seems like it would take more drain-and-fills of the reservoir than practical to get the percentages of ATF:pSF to the point where the PSF was insignificant (say, less than 2% of the total fluid). I would think in this case it would be worthwhile to remove the return hose and do a full flush (which is very easy on most cars but not so much on the Gen III Viper). Once the airbox is out it's not too bad wrenching down on the power steering bits, although I'm not a big fan of those "quick-disconnect" fittings...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What "bluesrt" says...I changed our 2003 over to Mopar ATF+4 (also labeled as Power Steering +4 in pint size) by the above method. I do it on a mid-rise lift (wheels up in air) and I start engine and rotate steering wheel lock-to-lock several times slowly...then shut it down, suction out reservoir and refill, and repeat a total of 3 times...then I do final refill.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that should work. If you change 60% of the fluid four times, fully reblending the old fluid with new after each re-fill, you will have about 2-3% old fluid remaining in the system after you are done.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump, just to confirm, I can use the mopar ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid (ms9602) (#05013457aa) to do the reservoir **** method for updating my power steering fluid in my 05? How does that differ from mopar ms5931?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did a full disconnect and bleed so not only the pump but also the fan lines were emptied. i use Redline power steering fluid as recomended by Archer racing.Much better for high heat application like track. a full true bleed is a PIA

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang