Power Steering Fluid Loss

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twice now! I've added about 1 inch of additional MOPAR PS +4 fluid to my reservoir. The fluid level was at or barely below the Min line in the reservoir. I noticed increased pump whine and found the low level. Now the manual says to expect the whine in cold weather, but it seems too much. Admittedly it has been exceptionally frigid---the mid 20's!! And the reservoir is so small that an inch of fluid really isn't a lot.

My new 2009 VOI is up to 600 miles of fairly gentle break-in driving. And I've just changed the oil so I know there is NO drip of the pink + 4 PS fluid on the underside. Nor is there anything on the garage floor. So where is it going?? Or is it possible some air trapped in system is still being purged and 'showing up' in the reservoir? Never any perceptible loss in power steering pump's assist.

Thanks for any thoughts on what's going on.

Have Z Have Snake

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No clue to help you with (but you can call many of the experts here)...but I note you ALSO have a 2009 VOIX Edition...we have #65 of 77, what # do you have? Herb Helbig/Grailkeeper also has one!
You DO know you get your 2010 VCA Membership FREE don't you? CALL 1-800-998-1110...have your VIN# handy, and tell them which region you'd like to belong to. Where are you located?
I take it you had a Z06 before the VOIX? We had a 2004 Z06 before upgrading to the 2005 Black SRT Vert. CONGRATS on your gorgeous beast! (We've not had the problem you discussed here).
You can also Private Message the SRT Engineers and ask them that question? Good Luck!
~juli

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good On You for paying attention. The system is filled at CAAP under pressure and bled well, so I doubt that 'trapped air' was a cause. Any chance some damage impacted /occured to the PS Cooler and fluid is dripping INSIDE the rear lip of the front fascia and pooled there? The rack, pump, and most lines would leak onto the ground, the PS cooler and fittings would not.

Steal Juli's AVATAR!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of ppl have had air in the clutch lines....so it seems possible you have some in the ps lines. jmo

juli, i don't think VCA membership is free anymore for new owners...Chrysler quit paying is what i heard...and i had to pay

OP
OP
H

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, JonB

Thanks for the clue Jon, I'll check inside engine compartment at the front. But it's so incredibly cold (lo teens!!) I'll have to wait 'til my fingers thaw out to go in the garage.

Who else here is just not interested in going 75 mph on their frozen PS2's in this type of weather?

Z and Snake

V

Venomiss

Lots of ppl have had air in the clutch lines....so it seems possible you have some in the ps lines. jmo

juli, i don't think VCA membership is free anymore for new owners...Chrysler quit paying is what i heard...and i had to pay

After talking with JRT yesterday afternoon the membership is on for new Viper owners who purchased brand new Vipers so be sure and call back 1-800-998-1110 and ask.
My guess is they will take care of you.
Venom is extra and worth it!;)

OP
OP
H

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do and thanks!!

Also would like to hear from Mark about the disappearing PS fluid and if it's a worry or not.

Thanks, Have

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery