Power Window Adjustment problem

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 ACR. Recently the passenger side power window wants to travel up too far/high.

I searched the forum for similar issues and fixes since there wasn't anything in my manual. Most of the references are for models prior to 08 and
talk about have to take off the door cover and adjust with a torx wrench or in some cases a control module going bad.

On any other vehicle this would be a "memory" issue and you would be told a series of steps to adjust the travel.

I can't believe it is this much trouble even if our cars are hand built.

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read that if you hold down the power window switch until the window goes down all the way and continue to hold for an additional 3 seconds it recalibrates the travel. This problem occers after the cars battery has gone flat for a while.

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read that if you hold down the power window switch until the window goes down all the way and continue to hold for an additional 3 seconds it recalibrates the travel. This problem occers after the cars battery has gone flat for a while.

THANKS. I am going to try that. My battery is probably five years old and I am going to replace it when I change the oil this next time.

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you left your car without a battery for a while or have you had to boost it after a long time of storage? Because if your battery has been fine without issue then I don't think replacing it right away is the solution.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To index the Viper windows, try this:

1) Get in car and close the door.
2) Turn the key on to the second position. Don't start.
3) Cycle window down and hold switch for 5 seconds and release.
4) Cycle window up and hold switch for 5 seconds and release.
5) Repeat 2 more times.

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you left your car without a battery for a while or have you had to boost it after a long time of storage? Because if your battery has been fine without issue then I don't think replacing it right away is the solution.

I haven't had battery problems and won't replace it for this problem. It's just that I have had the car for four years meaning the battery is five or more years old. Want to replace the battery before I have any issues.

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score

5) Repeat 2 more times.

Ok, will try that.

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

5) Repeat 2 more times.

Has anyone ever actually confirmed this is how to get the window indexing to work again? I took this same advice and it ended up being the "straw that broke the camel's back" for both window regulators (the added stress from holding the button down caused the plastic to pop out of the joint). I installed new regulators in each door and, lo and behold, the windows indexed without me having to do anything.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever actually confirmed this is how to get the window indexing to work again? I took this same advice and it ended up being the "straw that broke the camel's back" for both window regulators (the added stress from holding the button down caused the plastic to pop out of the joint). I installed new regulators in each door and, lo and behold, the windows indexed without me having to do anything.

If I were you, I'd give a shout out to Chuck Tator (The Viper Wizard) on this. I'm sure he could set you straight.

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, I will wait and let the dealer try to fix it. I don't need any more problems than I already have.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to perform this procedure on both my 2004 and 2010 after disconnecting the battery. Works as described. If your regulator is bad/going bad, thats a whole different story and indexing will not resolve your issue. I would certainly try indexing my windows before taking it to the dealer for repair, but I don't have much confidence in my local dealer.

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to perform this procedure on both my 2004 and 2010 after disconnecting the battery. Works as described. If your regulator is bad/going bad, thats a whole different story and indexing will not resolve your issue. I would certainly try indexing my windows before taking it to the dealer for repair, but I don't have much confidence in my local dealer.

Sounds good. Didn't have time to do that last night; but, will.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The indexing procedure works for me. My hard top and soft top are contoured a little differently. Not much but just enough to make a difference. When I use the hard top, I do this process and it only takes a few seconds and it is done.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are your outside black window stops ripped in the corners, you will never fix the problem with these damaged, and they are prone for this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery