Priceless

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An emergency pair of cheap sunglasses because you broke yours by sitting on them (again): $20

A new red 2004 SRT/10 from a dealer 220 miles south of you: At least $10k

Driving in circles around your family's minivan all the way home, waving at your spouse and keeping the kids stirred up in their seats shouting about your awesome new ride: Priceless

After lurking here for many years I finally picked up my viper this weekend! Thanks again to Paul Kopick for some well-educated opinions that helped close this deal. And thanks to Carfax for helping me avoid some unscrupulous and downright dishonest dealer offers.

I've put 300 miles on it already and I'm looking forward to the hot, sunny drought we'll undoubtedly have in the NW this year.

I have a couple questions already:

1. In 1st and 2nd gear as I get the RPM up around 3k, I hear chattering. Is this fuel injectors, lifters or something else? Drop the RPM back down to 1k and it's gone. I haven't noticed this in any of the other rides I've taken.

2. I declined on the extended warranty and the sealant for the exterior and interior, but I'm rethinking on the sealant. Any opinions on the value of the sealant, or can Zaino take care of all my needs?

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had you done the homework you'd have bought the extended warranty for a piece of mind. That is unless you plan on selling prior to the warranties expiration. Nonetheless, Enjoy many a happy S(miles) ahead of you!

Congrats,

Jay K.

ps. You can still shop around for the extended warranty.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're going to love that drive up to the Paradise Inn with the top down this summer. I spent lots of time out there and fell in love with Rainier and the surrounding area.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip the sealant. Buy the warranty, but there's no hurry, you can buy it anytime up until the original warranty expires. The reason for recommending the warranty is not that there are that many problems, it's just that it is a limited production car and repair items can be costly. As for the chatter, I'd take it back and have the Viper tech take a ride with you to diagnose it.

Welcome aboard. Just keep it pointed straight when you goose it and you'll have a permanent grin on your face! :2tu:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Just keep it pointed straight when you goose it and you'll have a permanent grin on your face! :2tu:

[/QUOTE]

One of the local Vipers was wrecked yesterday...pulled out got into some gravel and lost it. Don't know anymore details yet, but I understand it was an SRT. :(

SLICKSSS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the ride.

You have up to 3 years or 60,000 miles to purchase extended warranty.

The chattering you here is normal, its those big fuel injectors.

Enjoy the ride my friend....take it easy at first and get used to it.(respect the Viper) It can get away on you very quickly if you are not careful.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew (because I always do my homework) that I had plenty of time to purchase the extended warranty if I chose to, and that I could find a better deal by shopping around. I remember a post about someone offering them at or near cost, so I'll go dig that out later. Thanks for the answers.

I didn't use to like the round-abouts my city installed for traffic control... now they're just another ride on the playground :D

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy your car. When everything is clicking they are totally awesome.

But do be careful, I would advise never to nail unless you are on dry pavement and have the wheel perfectly straight. Even then, be prepared to get sideways (even in third gear).

Never go to 2nd when your trying to go from 3rd to 4th at high RPM.

PS Get a very good radar detector and be especially carefull about giving high school and college girls rides. (Strippers are okay, as long as your wife never finds out!).

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had you done the homework you'd have bought the extended warranty for a piece of mind.

Don't buy the extended warranty when you buy the car (unless you KNOW you're getting a great deal on the warranty). Generally, they'll try to sell it for full price. Shop around. I saved several C-notes on the extended warranty on my 95 RT by shopping around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4