PRICES.. GTS's... will the SRTs drop below?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: PRICES.. GTS\'s... will the SRTs drop below?

I would think that all those cars have had their problems.
And Problem Vipers, salvage titles, etc. Aren't really what is being discussed.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Did I hit a soft spot with the tire facts? So it is an advantage to swap wheels with the mustang guys, I didnt look at it that way. As for **** my ride, the GTS can use it on its interior, something you failed to mention, with its cardboard flat seats and its cozy fit

You can make fun of a rear wheel being 1" smaller all you want. The srt interior is not much better. Most people agree,(in and out of the viper community), the gts looks way better than your srt, sorry about your luck.

-and all people in the viper community, and the whole world, know for a fact the the srt trounces the GTS in every perfomance category, so sorry about your gts that gets spanked by the z06 vette guys lol

Yo, yo, too bad you apparantly don't have a GTS or an SRT. So what do you know about anything regarding their value or performance. BTW, I have not met a Z06 or a SRT that I have not beat. Also, a stock GTS still holds the top speed record over a Z06 or an SRT. Stop jacking off to "BIG WHEELS" magazine and read something educational before you start talking about cars you know nothing about. Maybe you'll learn something.

-Oh I dont? Care to bet your entire net worth on that? Beeotch

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Devildog,

Yes the GTSR won a ton of Championships, but it was a world apart from the GTS you and I bought. The Comp Coupe is much closer to the SRT-10 and my apologies to Tommy Archer, the late Great Paul Mumford, and others, but drifting is not where it got it's claim to fame -just another area to shine. Please turn on Speed Channel the next time the World Challenge GT Series is running, and watch this throttled down ( 35% restrictor plate) Snake compete with some of the World's best SportsCars and Sedans. The brakes on the Comp Coupe are the same as the SRT-10 , except for racing pads, so even if you personally don't like the style , give the car the kudos it deserves for it's actual abilities.

Paul Mumford 3rd at Road Atlanta ( First Race in a Comp Coupe ), and 1st at Laguna Seca ( his second and last race in the Slithering Snake )
Win at Portland and Driver Championship to Tommy Archer - Comp Coupe
Rookie of the Year goes to Mike McCann - Comp Coupe
Wins at Sebring and St. Petersburg for Tommy Archer-currently 2nd in the World Challenge Series GT Standings

What he said.

Sorry, the GTSR's record is so astounding the srt is not even close. BTW, the GTSs won the Speed Gt Championship with Bobby Archer in addition to all the premier series and 24 hour races I listed. The srt is nothing in comparison. PERIOD. :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do not see why the GTS/R racing experience has much impact on the stock vehicles. It did not have much in common with the stock vehicle beyond the basic shape. The Comp Coupe shares much more with the SRT than the GTS/R did with the Gen II. Same engine, suspension, brakes ... None of which were the same for the GTS/R.

Based on the argument a C5 should be even more valuable given its race history.

Those vehicles that have gained in value due in part to their race history actually had a race history, with the cars as produced, not just a look alike production car.

Before you jump on the anti-SRT bandwagon it should be noted I actually prefer the RT/10 styling. Here is what I wrote on another thread:

"They may be correct. I however think the 1992 will be the most sought after, with the exception of very limited models such as the GTS/R.

The other point is that they seem to think they will be gaining 500,000 in value in 10 to 15 years. That is absurd given the quantity on the road and the way that the majority are maintained. Finding a pristine original RT/10 or GTS is not difficult. And when it comes to collectability supply and demand is the rule. As much supply exists it is difficult to perceive 15,000 cars worth a half mil. As such I expect that the values will dip slightly when the SRT coupe comes out (similar to how the RT/10 dipped when the SRT came out, and then be steady and start gaining. But for the normal GTS models, like the normal RT/10 I do not expect the values to get into the stratosphere. Hey in 30 years they may not even be allowed on the streets for all we know now.

One other thing I cannot understand is why the GTS crowd thinks the GTS is "the icon." To me the RT/10 will always be the original Viper and the GTS a later hardtop version of it. With most other cars the convertible/roadster version maintains a higher value than the hardtop version, regardless of race history (but it should be noted the RT/10 raced at LeMan before the GTS was born)."

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll chime in now...simply put the GTS is the baddest Viper ever made(not up for debate)2nd the RT-10(not up for debate)3rd(up for debate)SRT-10/SRT-10 Coupe. As in regards to re-sale the list above proves it.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'll chime in now...simply put the GTS is the baddest Viper ever made(not up for debate)2nd the RT-10(not up for debate)3rd(up for debate)SRT-10/SRT-10 Coupe. As in regards to re-sale the list above proves it.

--------------------
98 GTS VIPER

Oh great, the real idiot just showed up with his PERIOD - Not Up For Debate arguements. Well then the matter has been closed. Nice color. My sister had a Barbie Dream House that looked just like it.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm guessing that $32k car is a salvage title or otherwise repaired car.

Yes, you are guessing. Even at car auctions you can find Vipers in great shape at low prices that aren't salvaged.

1993 DODGE VIPER RT/10 ROADSTER

LOT #807 - RESERVE

2001 E0308 CCA
SOLD FOR $32,000

Full Size

Full Size

OPTIONS
COLOR - RED
TRANS - 6-SPD
CYLINDERS - V10
ENGINE SIZE - 8.0L
VIN - 1B3BR65E0PV200154
CONDITION - UNRESTORED

Located in the South Central United States

Only 2,591 documented miles! This red RT10 is complete with side curtains, convertible top, factory toneau cover as well as its original wheels and tires. There is no history of damage. The only service performed, as documented, includes three oil changes, the replacement of the serpentine belt, new shift boot, new oil sending unit and a battery replacement. Absolutely new and absolutely perfect first year viper. The car is powered by Dodge's 8.0-liter 400 hp v10 motor.

You must be registered for see images

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel that in terms of collectability the viper will probably not become that sought after. While the viper is produced in smaller numbers(compared to many cars), frankly they have made A LOT of them( around 20,000 gen I & II). Historically most investment or highly collectable cars are produced in much smaller numbers. Some vipers will be much more desirable than others ACR, GT-1 replicas, raffle cars ect... In these terms i dont think even the final GTS's will become that collectable(far too many made) and i will also lump in the mamba editions with the final GTS cars

Another consideration; the first thing most folks tell a prospective buyer who inquires about purchasing is that their purchase is highly dependent on the color they want. There may have been a good deal produced, but if you are dead set on a particular color, the pool becomes much smaller. Original blue & whites, silver & platinum, et al.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My "opinion" is that the first Vipers, RT/10 and GTS will always be "the" Viper. They will always be desireable. When I have my 2000 out, I regularly have people comment how much they dislike the SRT Viper and how Dodge should never have changed it. These folks may have nothing to do with where Viper values go, but I think it says something about perception. I think that SRTs will not hold their value the way the earlier Vipers do.

As far as the Indy Pace Car '96 GTS. I bought my former '96 GTS new and it came with no decals, I though there were no pace car versions sold publicly.

One day, I'd like to have another sidepipe RT, I really liked that car. For some reason, the SRT just doesn't do it for me.

(As far as auctions and value..it's all hype. A group and I were talking about old Mopars at B-J, and those in the know said that many of the big dollar Mopars were selling right back to the owners in an attempt to raise the values. )

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I have my 2000 out, I regularly have people comment how much they dislike the SRT Viper and how Dodge should never have changed it.

I have heard that type comment on multiple occasions. When in the RT/10 I have heard the "I really love the original, the new one just does not do it for me." And when in the SRT I have heard the "I really like the new one more. The old one was too cartoonish."

I am not compiling any statistics, just that I have heard it both ways many times. Maybe it is that the onlooker is trying to make positive comments, or they are drawn to the type of car they like and comment accordingly. Until you drive both, or all 3 types, for extended periods you can never be certain what the owner impressions are.

And for the few of you guys that think that a subjective question like "which car is best" has only one possible answer need to get a reality check. There are always differing opinions and perspectives and no matter how strongly you feel you cannot will your opinion on to others.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I feel that in terms of collectability the viper will probably not become that sought after. While the viper is produced in smaller numbers(compared to many cars), frankly they have made A LOT of them( around 20,000 gen I & II). Historically most investment or highly collectable cars are produced in much smaller numbers. Some vipers will be much more desirable than others ACR, GT-1 replicas, raffle cars ect... In these terms i dont think even the final GTS's will become that collectable(far too many made) and i will also lump in the mamba editions with the final GTS cars

FE's should hold some value to collector's, 360 cars made, is that really too many? These 360 are the only available vipers ever, with that color scheme. In my opinion they will be harder to find, and be worth more than b/w's, in 10-20yrs.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm guessing that $32k car is a salvage title or otherwise repaired car.

Yes, you are guessing. Even at car auctions you can find Vipers in great shape at low prices that aren't salvaged.

1993 DODGE VIPER RT/10 ROADSTER

LOT #807 - RESERVE

2001 E0308 CCA
SOLD FOR $32,000

Full Size

Full Size

OPTIONS
COLOR - RED
TRANS - 6-SPD
CYLINDERS - V10
ENGINE SIZE - 8.0L
VIN - 1B3BR65E0PV200154
CONDITION - UNRESTORED

Located in the South Central United States

Only 2,591 documented miles! This red RT10 is complete with side curtains, convertible top, factory toneau cover as well as its original wheels and tires. There is no history of damage. The only service performed, as documented, includes three oil changes, the replacement of the serpentine belt, new shift boot, new oil sending unit and a battery replacement. Absolutely new and absolutely perfect first year viper. The car is powered by Dodge's 8.0-liter 400 hp v10 motor.

-gotta luv those clown rims lol

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I paid $54k for my 1996 GTS (5k miles) with Venazno interior, borla cat-back and edelbrock headers over 5 years ago...... I think it's held it's value very well by looking at the classifieds.... I see 2002 GTS's selling for less than the 1996's....

This 97 GTS is going for $35K ....
You must be registered for see images attach

This one for $39K...

This one for $32K

Checkout AutoTrader if anyone is looking.

Yea but I bet you paid mid 70's - mid 80's for your SRT and it's worth late 50's already. Compare the 96-97 b/w car based off of sticker and what they are selling for now 8-9 years later.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the end the b/w GTS will command the highest price of any viper. I think it is odd that out of the few people that have seen both cars, a lot of folks are saying they like my SRT better. What the hell is wrong with people? :confused: :D

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If any of these colors appeal to you, if you are the first one to show up & buy it, if you don't have to spend any money getting there, and if the vehicle meets your criteria, I guess so. To suggest these circumstances align frequently could be misleading.

I paid $54k for my 1996 GTS (5k miles) with Venazno interior, borla cat-back and edelbrock headers over 5 years ago...... I think it's held it's value very well by looking at the classifieds.... I see 2002 GTS's selling for less than the 1996's....

This 97 GTS is going for $35K ....
You must be registered for see images attach

This one for $39K...

If you want any of those colors.

This one for $32K

Checkout AutoTrader if anyone is looking.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LMFAO - you guys are funny. after reading all the post i am somehow reminded of
having a conversation with my 16 year old. this tread has gone so far from the
original post, which to remind you all, will the srt's price drop below gts's.
my answer to the question is SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND WILL ALWAYS DETERMINE PRICE. - ITS VERY SIMPLE :2tu:

now that i feel i have answered the post with what i think will happen i would
like to comment on a few things from some of or most of previous post so far.
who all do you think really gives a rats arss what you like or feel is the best
viper ever made. if i have nothing nice or positive to say to any of you i try
to say nothing because i see nothing to be gained from insulting you. for a
example, to you your wife could be the hottest chick you ever laid your eyes on
but to me she could be a big fat ugly pig. now if i were to say that to you i
would think it just might hurt your feelings a bit. what would i gain by saying
that to you, NOTHING, as a result of it we would probably never talk or become
friends because i insulted you for you taste in woman.

WE ARE A VERY SMALL GROUP HERE, ******** VIPER OWNERS, WHY EVEN HAVE THIS BS AS
TO WHICH IS THE BEST VIPER EVER. WE ALL LOVE ARE CARS FOR ARE OWN REASON'S.

THIS SUBJECT STIR'S UP SOME BAD CARMA WHICH CAN BE EASILY AVOIDED. I SAY LETS
ENJOY ARE CARS THE WAY EACH OF US WANT, MEET SOME NEW PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME
INTEREST WE DO, GET TOGETHER FOR A CRUISE AND JUST HAVE SOME FUN.

BY THE WAY AND LASTLY I THINK ALL YOUR WIVE'S ARE BIG FAT UGLY PIGS :D

tom

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, Your wife is quite attractive, it's your car that is a fat ugly pig. :D :usa:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, Your wife is quite attractive, it's your car that is a fat ugly pig. :D :usa:

thank god for that, lol, now that made me laugh. the car you speak of is of
course my 1999 dodge durango, right?lol :D

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,
One question. Why is the word "silver", blue in your sig? Sorry in advace if you are color blind. :D

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Pulled the Manheim wholesale numbers for the last 2 weeks.

03 srt 59015 avg sale, 4398 miles average

02 GTS 59452 avg sale, 5747 miles average

01 GTS 56702 avg sale, 5217 miles average

00 GTS 49782 avg sale, 6740 miles average

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

BY THE WAY AND LASTLY I THINK ALL YOUR WIVE'S ARE BIG FAT UGLY PIGS :D

tom

Nevertheless, I would still caution everyone to be wary with their wives around Crockett!!! heh.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you have to be a dealer to pull these numbers? If not where can we find them for ourselves?

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do you have to be a dealer to pull these numbers? If not where can we find them for ourselves?

It is a subscribed dealer service. You have to be a dealer, or in the car
business, or in my case, have a good friend who allows me access.

OP
OP
A

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, what did I start here? I was off the board for a few days getting some work done on the Diablo, now 116 replies and almost 3000 views later !!

Anyways, hey BIGCARROT, did this hit a nerve or something? We all agree with you, the SRT is a great car, but great compared to what? The car just hasnt met many people's expectations! (except the opinion of you and a few others)

The GEN1/2 cars have character unlike the SRTs.. just look at what is going on now, a production CORVETTE..(say it twice so it sinks) is coming out this year for $10k or more less that will SMOKE a production SRT in many respects.

What do you say to that? How do you defend your purchase of a new Viper that gets smoked by a vette? Are you happy about that?

Top Dog during GTS era = GTS, you cant say that now about the SRT.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh boy, just when you wanted a idiotic thread to die a peaceful death here we go again.

OP
OP
A

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hahhaha an idiotic thread?

Didnt think the thread was that bad...:) just trying to find a good priced GTS (that is a decent car without stories behind it) and I am having trouble finding one to match what I paid 3 years ago; and along the way I am seeing SRTs going cheaper and cheaper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang