PRICES.. GTS's... will the SRTs drop below?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Re: PRICES.. GTS\'s... will the SRTs drop below?

Bought my '98 GTS new and will keep it. I have no interest in SRT verts or coupes. The GTS has a great race history as part of it's pedigree. SRTs don't have $hit. The GTS is the Icon. The SRT isn't. Adults (Mercedes country club set...not performance car enthusiast) like the SRT and 10 to 16 year olds like the GTS. In 30 years who is going to be sitting at the Barrett-Jackson auctions...the now 10 to 16 year olds looking for the Icon GTS. Wait and see. Here endith the lesson. :D

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you've got a minty blue and white GTS, you should really think about preserving it for your old age retirement fund... Any nice Gen II should bring half a million ten or fifteen years from now...
Just my .02.
Sorry, it's a keeper. It's going to be my final resting place. I've asked my son to cremate me and store the urn under the seat.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you just called a Gen 1 owner an idiot because he has a different opinion than you.

Yes. Have you even driven a Gen 3??? Do you REALIZE how much better that car is??? Comparing a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 is like comparing a prop plane to a jet! No comparison! The brakes, power, fit and finish, ammenities, seats, stereo.... where do I stop??? Don't kid yourself, kid!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

So you just called a Gen 1 owner an idiot because he has a different opinion than you.

Yes. Have you even driven a Gen 3??? Do you REALIZE how much better that car is??? Comparing a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 is like comparing a prop plane to a jet! No comparison! The brakes, power, fit and finish, ammenities, seats, stereo.... where do I stop??? Don't kid yourself, kid!

Gee, let me think...would I rather have a P-51H Mustang, P-38L Lightning, F4U-4 Corsair, or a Lear Jet? :D

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No comparison! The brakes, power, fit and finish, ammenities, seats, stereo.... where do I stop??? Don't kid yourself, kid!

And to many, the styling is more important than all of those factors combined.

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No comparison! The brakes, power, fit and finish, ammenities, seats, stereo.... where do I stop??? Don't kid yourself, kid!

And to many, the styling is more important than all of those factors combined.

Yup. What he said!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i love the gen I & II cars & cannot drive my SRT-10 enough. I drove a pre-prduction viper #18 in the fall of '91, and driven around the Indy motorspeedway in the actual pace car by Lynn St.James during speedweek memorial day week of '96 :flag along with driveing numerous other Vipers. And for the time(gen I & II) was quite a hot rod(mostly straight line handling characteristics. And it was a very capable car(enuf to crush the king of the hill(vette and just about everything else) with only 400hp at the time. The cars have had constant improvements. To the point where a Chief Steward and Chief instructor along w/ several current Porsche drivers(that i do track/driver education days w/) hav said the difference between the gen I & II and the current
SRT-10 cars "they made a car that was a hot rod into a world class sports car". This car will handle with the best the rest of the world has to offer, at a fraction of the price, The only other car to do it cheaper will be the new Zo6 and the top doesn't go down on in(for now) and too many onthe road for it to appeal to me. These two vehicles are the ONLY two USA cars that can take on just about any of the competition the world has to throw at into the ring, in the real production car world. At least bringing the margin into the realm of "who is the better driver"? :usa:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that's what I thought. He's an idiot.

Not if you're the basis for comparison. And for the record I have driven several SRTs in numerious conditions and prefer the RT over any of them. Oh, and why does the term "Its a better driving car" sound so much like "Its not the size..." If a driver's handicap is what you need to look impressive on the road buy a BMW and quit bothering the real viper owners...

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

15 years ago I sold a couple of 1979 6.6 Liter Trans-Am's I had driven through college. I got $3,500.00 for each, they both were in excellent shape.

If I had them today in the same condition I would be getting $20k for one and $15k for the other. GenIII F-bodies are coming up in price.

How much more do you think a GTS will go up in about 14 years.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

i love the gen I & II cars & cannot drive my SRT-10 enough. I drove a pre-prduction viper #18 in the fall of '91, and driven around the Indy motorspeedway in the actual pace car by Lynn St.James during speedweek memorial day week of '96 :flag along with driveing numerous other Vipers. And for the time(gen I & II) was quite a hot rod(mostly straight line handling characteristics. And it was a very capable car(enuf to crush the king of the hill(vette and just about everything else) with only 400hp at the time. The cars have had constant improvements. To the point where a Chief Steward and Chief instructor along w/ several current Porsche drivers(that i do track/driver education days w/) hav said the difference between the gen I & II and the current
SRT-10 cars "they made a car that was a hot rod into a world class sports car". This car will handle with the best the rest of the world has to offer, at a fraction of the price, The only other car to do it cheaper will be the new Zo6 and the top doesn't go down on in(for now) and too many onthe road for it to appeal to me. These two vehicles are the ONLY two USA cars that can take on just about any of the competition the world has to throw at into the ring, in the real production car world. At least bringing the margin into the realm of "who is the better driver"? :usa:

What a crock of crap. The GenII mostly straight line handling characteristics...who won the FIA & ALMS Championships multiple times, Le Mans, 24 Daytona, Sebring, etc., etc, etc. against the world's best at the time...GENII GTS-R. Any curves in those race tracks? The SRT (actually comp coupe) has won a drifting championship. BTW, I don't want a top that goes down...ever. So don't count that as an SRT plus. The SRT has not proved a thing in competition. They turned the GTS hot rod into a world class sports car (SRT)....give me a break! :rolleyes:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

more than anything my comments refer to the huge leap forward in braking performance(with '01 and '02 ABS) and the further leap with the SRT's brake system. Befor the Viper got ABS and later the SRT system the viper would be near the top of most sports car shootouts, the SRT's brakes have put the car much closer to the top if not the top of these contests.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brakes ?? Thats why the 01 & 02's are the best Gen 2's to have. We have all the greatness of the Gen II's style(with every available upgrade/fix), and we have those great brakes. And while I was at VIR this weekend, realling in a number of SRT-10's, I didnt see them out braking me in the braking zones. It would be nice to hear from a 01/02 ABS owner, who also has an SRT-10 how the two braking systems compare in ********* braking.

Ok Moving on... I am married to my Gen 2, ACR, ABS bee-atch. Any other cars I pick up after this one, will just be mistresses. ;-)

Jon

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< It's going to be my final resting place. I've asked my son to cremate me and store the urn under the seat. >>

LOL - I like that.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, that's what I thought. He's an idiot.

Not if you're the basis for comparison. And for the record I have driven several SRTs in numerious conditions and prefer the RT over any of them. Oh, and why does the term "Its a better driving car" sound so much like "Its not the size..." If a driver's handicap is what you need to look impressive on the road buy a BMW and quit bothering the real viper owners...

And this is coming from a melted down, broke dick, idiot, that is trying to piece together a Viper??? Pop your head out of your ass and look around before you open your mouth, mmmmmmkkkkkk? I have owned THREE! I've had an R/T, GTS, and an SRT 10. I loved the looks of the older cars, but the performance was not even close! Some of you guys, like Bonkers, can't afford a car that costs more than your double wide. That's ok! Some of you guys are just defending the car that you own, and that's ok too! I'd do the same thing! You'll be the same guys that reluctantly buy an SRT because you notice that the Gen2 is starting to look dated, you'll realize that the SRT IS a superior car, and you'll flood my inbox with thank you letters saying how glad you are that I helped open your eyes. Guys, I'm just glad I could do my part. Now get on down to your local Dodge dealership and drive the much improved, next generation Viper. :2tu:

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why the performance diatribe guys? Who cares? I though we were talking about prices? Yes, the SRT outperforms the GTS & RT10 stock for stock, but it also outperforms the 60's Shelby Cobra. Knocks the socks off a Plymouth Road Runner.

Neither of which sells for less than an SRT. (dated as they are)

How does the successor perfomance envelope illustrate that my GTS won't appreciate 10 years from now? How many more GTSs will be wrecked in that time? That affects supply dramatically more than performance affects demand.

What will affect pricing the most, and I'll say it one more time for the cheap seats, is that more people are hanging in for the long haul now on the GTSs & that trend will continue. The trading & swapping is a Johnny come lately phenomenon that repeats itself every spring. How do you think the car mags stay in business?

And the comment about who will be at the BJ auction 15 years from now? Today's teenagers of course. And they will be maniacal about owning one. Especially if the economy is doing well and they are part of a prosperous generation.

The premium they will pay is dependent on how many are available, a function of how many remain (unwrecked & non-bling) and the owners' willingness to sell.

In 15 years, the GTS Gen 2 Gen 1 horsetrading business will be defunct & I'll bet I can name my price for the right buyer.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You'll be the same guys that reluctantly buy an SRT because you notice that the Gen2 is starting to look dated, you'll realize that the SRT IS a superior car, and you'll flood my inbox with thank you letters saying how glad you are that I helped open your eyes.

The Gen II does not look dated at all. People all the time who don't know much about Vipers ask me if it's brand new. The Gen II is a classic, and will not look dated for a very, very long time.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-you gotta love the antiquated interior on the GTS's and that tall skinny thing they call a shifter with the ball on top......best of all is the monster 17" rims they came with, awesome, just like the late 80's mustangs

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys just keep feeding your money to those car lot thieves......2 years from now you're all driving a 2 year old USED car that doesn't quite match up to the next generation's performance. That doesn't particularly bother me, because I understand there is always someone badder down the line. Dance with the girl that steals your soul.

Now, can we get back to pricing?

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok Moving on... I am married to my Gen 2, ACR, ABS bee-atch. Any other cars I pick up after this one, will just be mistresses. ;-)

Jon

AMEN.

I don't know why we're fighting over which is better... Gen III or Gen I/II ... We're all still the same family... We Jones's shouldn't be fighting with the Jones's but rather with the Smith's (the new Z06, cause thats whats gonna bet us)

Personally... I LOVE the look of the Gen II over the SRT-10 anyday. But preformance wise I am sure the SRT-10 will out preform... Dodge isn't going to make a new generation that doesn't out preform ESP. with the Z06 in our rear view mirror.

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I fall on the side on the GTS maintaining it's value better. Not just as an owner but an avid believer in the simple equation of supply and demand. Performance is never really the issue. The new GT500 due out next year will probably turn in times similiar to the Gen 1 cars. I followed the corvette market for several years. The most desirable vettes are the 1953 & the big block mid years. Why; so few were made.

Look at GTS-R prices, the car does not outperform the Gen 3 but it is currently the only Viper that commands a premium over it's sticker 8 years later. The Gen 3 issue in my mind is more about production numbers than anything else, and there is a lot of them. Also they are not raced, and wrecked, like the GTS' have been. Heck 2004 was the largest Viper production year that I know of.

P.S. They could make the new coupe more desirable not just through an engine upgrade but limiting the production run to under 1000 but's that just not feasible.

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm a big SRT fan, But I grew up fascinated by the RT/10. I went with a Gen II RT because the SRT's where just out of my price range, and the more rounded body just appealed to me. The opinions I get on the street are usually people favoring the older RT/10-GTS style to the SRT but then again that could be them just being friendly and making conversation. Most of them just like a hot fast car and want to talk about it and really dont know anything about them. I can't tell you how many times I got a "What Kind of Ferrari is that?".

What will hold its price is what ever is in demand. Look at history... Old Hemi Cuda's, Old big block Vett's, cobra's. Limited production stuff with big motors. Viper fits right in there. Which ever Viper you have I think you can't go wrong.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Visual appeal is such a subjective thing, and argue all you want you will not change what appeals to our senses. Imagine doing the same thing about peoples wives or girlfriends. We like what we like and it is those things we pursue. Those that like the Gen II will defend it forever, and those that like Gen III, the same. Seems kind of pointless to argue about what appeals to our senses.

But back to prices, I agree that the curve is flattening for the Gen II Vipers. People have said wait for 10 or 15 years, then see what price people will pay for a Viper.
Today people pay what they want for a Viper as a car, but the collectibility of a car will drive the price up over time and this is determined by a lot of factors - heritage, rarity, visual appeal, etc. Seems like a lot of owners drive their Vipers a lot and enjoy modifying them both for looks and for performance, but you are not going to see a Viper bought for collectibility command a high price if it has 100K miles, a Roe supercharger, headers, no cats, and a Autoform spoiler on it (not that those are bad things today.) Collectors will seek a pristine all original car, or at least I would. I say drive the car and enjoy it, put your investment dollars elsewhere.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have owned both they are different cars. The srt-10 has a very hard time staying in it's own lane while the gen 2 has a hard time stopping. My choice after a drunk wrecked my srt10 was the gts. I even cancelled my 06 coupe order to buy the gts. When they up the h.p. i might get the coupe.

Robert

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

-you gotta love the antiquated interior on the GTS's and that tall skinny thing they call a shifter with the ball on top......best of all is the monster 17" rims they came with, awesome, just like the late 80's mustangs

My GTS came with 18's, and 80's mustangs had 15 & 16's. Your not funny.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

My GTS came with 18's, and 80's mustangs had 15 & 16's. Your not funny.

[/QUOTE]

And YOU don't know how to spell YOU'RE. You guys are even.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1882lol.jpg
1882lol.jpg
1882lol.jpg
1882lol.jpg
1882lol.jpg
1882lol.jpg

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got the ultimate Gen III. :) The SRT-10 went away. It will be replaced - easily - with a GTS again sometime. I decided I am not a convertible person, so that might be part of the problem. The only time I'll miss that car is at annual autocross time..... (hey, why don't I just drive the orange car?????) it is truly a superior handling machine. However, it just didn't have the "whole package" that the GTS does.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hoesepower/handling,above a certain level,has no impact on price/collectibility (sp?) of a car.look at a Ferrari Testarosa compared to a Daytona.

One has a design which already started to look dated a couple of years after the car came out,the other one have a "classic" design that will never look dated.

Cars with round,flowing,soft curves always pass the test of time but wedge,angular,sharp lines age very fast and almost never become a "classic"

There is no doubt that the SRT is a "better" car if only performances are evaluated, but the GTS is altogether in another league design wise and it's not even a question which one will be more valuable/collectible when they are both 20 years old.

Luc.00GTS

PS: as a Viper owner,I got a certificate to get a 2003 SRT,but could not force myself to appreciate/love the style.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Prediction.

20 years from now, if premium gasoline is below $5gal, and affordable insurance is avaliable for 400 hp, 8 Ltr vehicles...

First a GT2. Limited production, very rare. Celebrating the LeMans win.
Next an unmolested Blue/White with pace car stickers will be the hot ticket.
Next a Black RT/10
Next a Yellow GTS or RT/10
Low mileage and originality will count or huge swings in price.

So if you want to not drive, or modify your car, these are the ones to store for your kids.

If you want to drive, and enjoy a car, the SRT is the way to go.

GTS and RT/10 have huge emotional impact, currently missing in technologically superior SRT.