Prognostications (long)

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
deleted

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Rick Martino on 08-08-2002 at 09:22 PM</font>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

A Viper precedent has already been set. Take a few steps back into "those thrilling days of yesteryear" when the original RT/10s were beginning to flood the market because 1050 or so '96 GTSs were snapped up via the first voucher program. (my black '93 with a/c included) The biggest hits were taken by red '94s without a/c. They were the most plentiful; and in my opinion, the '94 cars had the most problems with quality control because of trying to get production up to meet HUGE demand.

I'm not going to speculate on actual pricing, but the Gen2s will definitely hold stronger than the Gen1s.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

You are absolutely right - and Hib is a very wise man and a trusted source of information.

What we would LIKE to happen and what WILL happen are two different things. You are 100% right that GenI/II Viper prices will fall dramatically, because alot of folks (just like me) who dont have a Viper, when faced with the choice of GenI/II or SRT will take the SRT most of the time.

I dont like the SRT style as much as the GTS - but I'd NEVER buy a GTS right now because to me, having the latest and greatest is important, as it will be to thousands of others.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect my '94's value to fall. I hope not 5k a year!!!! But, if that's the case, so be it. I did not buy the car as an investment. After all, how many cars out there have appreciated?

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
deleted

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Rick Martino on 08-08-2002 at 09:23 PM</font>

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel that the RT/10 is going to be hit the hardest. They are the most plentifully and will be the least desirable of all the three Vipers available when the SRT comes out.I have a ACR that I think will also be hit hard.I also think that the 01 and 02 Vipers will be the most sout after because of the ABS and much better built car and colors.I bought my Viper to drive and have fun not just the resale value.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everybody is looking at the short term prices...

I too believe they will fall somewhat over the next 2-3 years, but I also think that the value of the Gen II coupes will go up dramatically in the next 10-15 years...especially the 96 and 97 Blue/White coupes. The styling is classic and the paint scheme is timeless. The car resembles the great Shelby Daytona, and a good design is always something of value. I have always loved the original Shelby cars, and now, I own a car with some of that same appeal. I like the idea of "yestertech," and I like the fact the car makes no apoligies for what it is...A TRUE AMERICAN ICON. This will be the car that folks remember decades from now...just like the 50's, 60's and 70's Corvettes. Look at the the pricetags these cars have.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are comparing bland zr1's with Vipers? Sorry but the reason the zr1 fell in price like a brick is because the c5 vette looks better and performs better.

Comparing that to a Gen 1 or 2 is a joke, why not compare apples to apples? Most people will take an SRT? Wow I guess polls mean nothing about what people actually think.

Compare the Viper to earlier Vettes like 50' or 60's, those vettes are still very desirable and they never had performance to back them up.

I feel like some of the SRT guys just need to come up with posts like this to justify your purchase. Only time will tell what pricing will be, but from my viewpoint the SRT will be cheaper in price than RT's within 10 years.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ,

I think it's the other way around... some on here are grasping at everything and anything they can to convince themselves their car is superior, in the face of better performance in every way. So long as you don't get upset when you get passed up in your factory sponsored race GTS, you can remain happy
laugh.gif

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ,
I totally agree. The C4 is the least attractive Vette just as the SRT-10 is the least attractive Viper. The real drop in price will be for the SRT-10 when the Coupe version comes out. It will be the ugly ducking that is now out performed. The Gen I/II's will be like the big block C2 Vettes. Sure they have less performance than the modern cars but have great herratige and beautiful looks.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting post Rick, and this is why the rest of you shouldn't bother letting the cars sit in your garages - get out and drive them! You're going to "lose" value either way, but at least you "gain" the pleasure of driving the car. I plan to put another 20k+ miles in the next year, about like last year, and probably will have the car a year beyond that, so yet another 20k+ miles then too - so for ~60k miles in 3 years, what will it be worth? - hell if I care, I got to drive it all those miles!

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
deleted

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Rick Martino on 08-08-2002 at 09:23 PM</font>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte