pulley fell off

wicked7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
recently lost my power steering,come to find out my crank pulley came off.the bolt and washer were laying on the frame and the pulley and counter weight or balancer were sitting at a 45 degree angle.now what do i do?i purchased a new bolt and i found out that 250 pounds of torque needs te be applied,but the new bolt only goes in a couple of turns by hand.there does not appear to be any internal thread damage. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.:dunno::confused:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
double check to make sure theres nothing in there in the way. maybe a thread chaser ?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search, but it has happened to many people. Mostly with modified engines, but some stockers too. Looks like you are near JonB, he might be a big help with your situation. Jon's website: Online Shopping - Home

Also call Chuck Tator, the wizards number is 914-763-3136

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wicked, I've been through this...twice! No fun is it.

Here's what you need to do.

A) Definitely call Chuck to order a NEW damper. The one you have is ruined, do NOT try to reinstall or you'll be reinstalling it again later.
B) Order a Sean Roe pin kit. It's EASY to install and it's cheap insurance that this will never happen again.
C) The crankshaft is VERY hard...it's doubtful that you've damaged it though there may be some transfer material from the damper on it that you'll need to use emery cloth to get off.
D) You might as well replace the front oil seal while you have the damper off. The old one can be a pain to get off, but the new one is easy to put on.
E) Even with the pin kit, you should still loc-tite the bolt in place. There will be little torque on the bolt with the pin kit in place, but again, cheap insurance.
F) Don't try this job with the hood on, it's a PITA. Just get the hood off and set it aside.
G) It's a 2 person job to torque that bolt down...250 ft-lbs will require someone to a put the car in 1st gear and stand on the brakes to keep the engine from turning.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
G) It's a 2 person job to torque that bolt down...250 ft-lbs will require someone to a put the car in 1st gear and stand on the brakes to keep the engine from turning.

If you put the car in 6th gear you can probably hold it with the e-brake ...

Last edited:
D

DAMN YANKEE

kcobean has got it motly right, by that I mean I would only add the following:

1. Get a flex shaft for a standard drill bit and its a snap to do the pinning.
2. I did mine with the hood on no problem.
3. Just put a three foot pipe on the end of your torque wrench and its a snap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine