Pulling the trigger on the ROE... which pulley to use on forged 99?

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after talking about, researching, and DROOLING over the Roes on both sites (this one and that "other" Viper site), I am finally ordering mine.

Question: Which pulley size should I use for a low maintenance, seat-of-the-pants-thrust boost that will not require a ton of modifications? I am leaning towards a 6.5 lb, would that be good? I will also be doing rockers. Thanks to GTSNRT10, DAMNYANKEE and several other ppl for your help, look forward to posting pics soon of the blower. :2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats! I'd recommend an 8.5# pulley and water/****. My stock 98 GTS made 598rwhp with just that and catback exhaust. Got great mileage went like Hell and required nothing. If you've got runcraps or even think about putting them on your car, then use the 6.5# pulley.

I have all the pulleys and often think about switching to the 8.5
# because the 10# pulley makes way too much power for the PS1's, but I've driven 9 second cars all my life and do love a challenge!

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the more boost the more problems and harder it is to keep things simple. and i dont like water/**** at all.

D

DAMN YANKEE

IMO

1. 6.5
2. No water/****
3. Ask for the throttle link and cross bar to be powder coated in the same color.
4. If you were going to have a polished blower, know you will need to occassionally polish it. Dont like that idea (I have one, its beautiful) have it powder coasted too.
5. Buy the simplest engine reader from them now (cheap, keep it in the car)
6. Since Sean is going to send you a "tune-card" specific to your set-up, think about what that will be in the end.

Make life simple and do the hardest part of the installation in 15 minutes...
Get one of these..(or its equivalent)
Find Cable Flex Shaft Attachment, 36" and other Hobby Tool Accessories at Aubuchon Hardware

You use it to drill the hole for the shaft pinning.

Schulan, below, is absolutely right, plan on installing widebands now. Sign in and go here:

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/602309-mounting-wideband-viper-guide-photos.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/598748-wiring-wideband-o2-vec-guide-photos.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried both 6.5lb and 8lb. The 8lb requires prime quality fuel, unless you retard the ignition a lot. 8lb is sensitive the fuel quality.

For street and autocross use I would recommande 6.5lb. You have plenty of power. The stock michelin tires are just enough to hold the car to the pavement. You can even spin the tire in 4th gear on cold tires. Before you go to higher boosts you better invest in high quality race tires. I was able to pull 600rwhp/600lb under race setup with a lot of tuning.

The 8lb pulley gives an uncredible boost. You feel the difference right away but due to head restrictions you will not be able to get the full power. I was able to pull 650rwhp with the 8lb pulley but the engin was suffering with the stock head. This is a great setup for drag racing. However without good slick tires it is useless.

It is very easy to change the pulley on the roe SC. It takes about 10-15 min.

I recommande to you to install the W/M injection system and two WBO (on both side of the engine). Have a look on LC-1, it is a great WBO kit. Personally I will never supercharge again without a permanent WBO installation. The stock PCM is too basic and doesn't provide any engine protection.

I don't know why the other guys didn't like the W/M but personnaly I love it and use it very extensively. I never had any issues except one: I didn't attache the rear reservoir enough strong and during a road race, It took off like an airplane :) It only happened once ... The hardware has 10/10 reliability and programming is very easy with the VEC.

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
see jpa99acr, my kit i wanted to sell you was to Schulmann before, see how happy he was with it :D

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
I don't know why the other guys didn't like the W/M but personnaly I love it and use it very extensively. I never had any issues except one: I didn't attache the rear reservoir enough strong and during a road race, It took off like an airplane :) It only happened once ... The hardware has 10/10 reliability and programming is very easy with the VEC.

Ditto on the water/methanol comments. I wouldn't run a forced induction car without it. I makes a huge difference in input air temps and the octane increase is a deterrent against detonation. Don't tune to the limits where a W/M failure will cause engine damage, use it to cool and for added safety.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on the water/****. It couldn't be any easier to use if you have a Vec for tuning. Use it to cool your intake charge and you'll never suffer from heat soak. No danger of damage if you run out when you tune it for this purpose.
I wouldn't run with out it.:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One last time for your peanut sized brain Davie. Richie holds the WORLD VIPER RECORD FOR AN SRT USING A BLOWER ON STREET TIRES @ 10.4. This was done on a car with a stock clutch with over 20k miles on it at the time and just over 920 RWHP. Yeah Dave, sounds like a grandma pass to me too:rolleyes: . In fact I believe Richie made about 4-5 passes that day and all were within a tenth or 2 tops of the record pass so he sure ***** at driving fast. :lmao:

My Viper with a Roe sc and 10# pulley, water/****, 9-1 pistons, Larry Macedo Airbox, TB's headers and exhaust (No nitrous) went 10.5@139mph with only 720rwhp. I'm sure you'll be in heaven everytime you drop the hammer!

Ted

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys.. I sell the Roe Chargers. Just to let you know... they Polished is NO LONGER AVAILABLE!! They come in black only now!!!
pm me with questions...
Steve

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, you can still get polished s/c's from Roe ;)
Some may also not know, it's very possible to save $$$ going thru a dealer :headbang: quite a few of my customers that have ordered from me and had it locally installed or did the install themselves can attest.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1- are you using H/C and Roe to get those number in the 1320?

Yes, Greg Good heads/cam. The street tire number and the 9.28 were with a 150 shot of nitrous. The 9.44 was without nitrous. ET streets for tires and all runs were at the V10 race in Florida.
As soon as my engine gets back from the machine shop the CPE twin turbo kit will be going on. The kit is sitting here waiting and those Roe numbers will be history ;)
I am also a dealer/installer for the CPE systems.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am getting started/prepared for a Roe. I am having eddie Martin refresh the engine and adding: Cam, 1.7RR, Heads(not sure which), the engine alone should be good for low 500ish rwhp. Once the headers, high flows and cat-back are on I hope to achieve cloase to 700rwhp with an 8.5# pulley, hopefully much more torque!:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll need the 10# pulley and water/**** for 700. You'll probably get 670 or so with the 8#. I'd add the water/**** at 8# as well. It increases the hp (about 35?) and it's easier for the engine because of the cooling effects.

You can also do some minor tuning by which windshield washer fluid you use - more/less alcohol, summer/winter washer fluid. You also have the option of making up your own mixture.

Ted

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll need the 10# pulley and water/**** for 700. You'll probably get 670 or so with the 8#. I'd add the water/**** at 8# as well. It increases the hp (about 35?) and it's easier for the engine because of the cooling effects.

You can also do some minor tuning by which windshield washer fluid you use - more/less alcohol, summer/winter washer fluid. You also have the option of making up your own mixture.

Ted

OK, thanks! I want to be close to 700rwhp but I don't want to sacrifice longevity, so I will make sure the tune & W/M are conservative. I was looking forward to a CPE TT kit but it's just a street car, and I want alot of power in the 1000-3000rpw range. I really won't use the wipers so any recommendations?
Looks like I will be getting the engine done, than in about a year adding the Roe!:drive:

Thanks for the exhaust detail/clip!:2tu:

Carlo

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, thanks! I want to be close to 700rwhp but I don't want to sacrifice longevity, so I will make sure the tune & W/M are conservative. I was looking forward to a CPE TT kit but it's just a street car, and I want alot of power in the 1000-3000rpw range. I really won't use the wipers so any recommendations?
Looks like I will be getting the engine done, than in about a year adding the Roe!:drive:

Thanks for the exhaust detail/clip!:2tu:

Carlo

Sorry, I assumed you knew that the water/**** injection system is designed to use windshield washer fluid to inject into the intake tract.

summer windshield washer is only about 50% or so alcohol with a touch of soap additives

Winter Windshield washer fluid is about 75=90% alcohol.

So you can do slight adjustments to the mixture to change mixture slighly.

Don't think there's a lot of difference (not much is actually injected) ... but "every little bit helps". Tune with winter and for hard driving/hot temps fill with summer.

My car holds over a gallom (in the trunk tank) and I normally can get a couple thousand miles before needing to fill it since I seldom get into boost.

Much as I respect what Paolo's doing with TT's and pricing ... the only thing that compares with a Roe is Nitrous. With 800rwtq it may not be full throttle, but driving the car it's impossible to tell that all that power shredding the tires is torque, not horsepower. If you read thousands of threads you'll notice that the 900rwhp Paxtons and TT's aren't the one's holding the street tire records

I've seen threads that state - on street tires

10.43 on Nitrous

10.41 on Roe

10.5 on Roe (my car). There's actually quite a few Roes going 10.5 on atreet tires.

9.88 TT (believe it was a big buck 1200rwhp UGR)on streets

Anyway, there's lots of Roes at or close to the street tire record with about 700-750rwhp but not a lot of Paxtons & TT's - seems they need about 8-900rwhp to go that fast. One of Paolo's kits went 10.5@140mph on drag radials (about 850rwhp) but I'm waiting 'till next summer to see how much faster he'll get out of that one (with pump gas).

Here's a link that has a lot of times listed Viper records, drag times........... - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

15 pages, but it will allow you to make up your own mind. We'll be seeing your name up there next year?

Ted

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, your washer fluid is WAY different than here in the states! Our summer blend has roughly 3%, and the winter blends about 40%. This past summer I ended up using the HEET gasline antifreeze(yellow bottle) and mixing it with equal amounts of water to get 50/50. This summer going to find a source and get it in 5 gallons and mix with water.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
-40 degrees doesn't allow for much water in anything. Antifreeze has to be 50% (and not the cheapie premixed stuff). Most of our winter windshield washer is formulated for -40 or -45C

Ted

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, one of the draws for me to the Roe is how good the polished one looks. Hope they continue to offer a polished one @ least until I am ready to go with one. I am a novice to supercharging (have one on my Saleen) and was wondering about an intercooler with the Roe. Has anyone gone that route?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, your washer fluid is WAY different than here in the states! Our summer blend has roughly 3%, and the winter blends about 40%. This past summer I ended up using the HEET gasline antifreeze(yellow bottle) and mixing it with equal amounts of water to get 50/50. This summer going to find a source and get it in 5 gallons and mix with water.
Most speed shops sell methanol by the gallon. It's real easy to get here where I live. You can mix it with distilled water and get an exact calculation of your mix ratio.