Push button start in Gen 1 & 2

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of a few people putting push button starts in gen 1 & 2 s and was wondering how it has been done. I think I would like to install it in my Gen 2. It's kinda cool!!

Bo

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how they did it but it sure wouldn't be a true push button start like the new cars. You would probably have to still use the key to turn the ignition on and the push button would only activate the starter. In order to have a true push button start you would have to replace the entire ignition system.

If all you wanted to do is splice in a pushbutton to activate the starter that would be a piece of cake. But that's a lot of trouble to avoid turning the key an additional 15 degrees or so.

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of a few people putting push button starts in gen 1 & 2 s and was wondering how it has been done. I think I would like to install it in my Gen 2. It's kinda cool!!

Bo

I added mine to my lighter. I went to Honda's website and bought the S2000 push button start for $40.00 I had my radio guy put it in for $50.00. You can still use the key to start the car but its more for a cool factor and the chicks and kids dig it.

GTS_start_3.JPG

GTS_start.JPG

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added mine to my lighter. I went to Honda's website and bought the S2000 push button start for $40.00 I had my radio guy put it in for $50.00. You can still use the key to start the car but its more for a cool factor and the chicks and kids dig it.

GTS_start_3.JPG

GTS_start.JPG

Clean install.

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very cool. so do you even need the key in the ignition module or can you just get in the car and push the button?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a good idea getting it from Honda because a used one with "Viper Tax" will run you about $60.00, and I can't tell any difference (probably because they both come from the same manufacturer but one has VIPER on the box and the other has HONDA).

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you who would prefer a new one from Dodge...

From what I can find it is...

Part No. 04865676AC
List Price: $56.50

Last edited:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't mind using your left leg, you already have a push start....

Turn the key and press.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know how they did it but it sure wouldn't be a true push button start like the new cars. You would probably have to still use the key to turn the ignition on and the push button would only activate the starter. In order to have a true push button start you would have to replace the entire ignition system.

If all you wanted to do is splice in a pushbutton to activate the starter that would be a piece of cake. But that's a lot of trouble to avoid turning the key an additional 15 degrees or so.

I am planning on installing the Honda S2000 push button in my GTS. I also plan on installing a toggle switch with red cover. But I want it to be a true push button so that I have to push the button in order to start the car. I know of an auto wiring guru and will have him hook it all up.

This will be my starting sequence:
  • insert key into ignition and turn on (key will not start car regardless of how far I turn the key)
  • flip toogle switch cover up then switch toggle button
  • push start button

D

DAMN YANKEE

I too would love to see a disciplined write up of this modification......

TXViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it's simple to add a push start button to a Gen 1 or 2. All you'd need is a S2000 push start button on eBay (I recommend to get the original wiring harness connector as it will save you time and trips to the electronics stores), a $20 Dremel Tool from Wal-mart (if you want to place the button somewhere else beside the cigarette lighter), and a couple tap connectors and electrical wires. A wiring diagram from the service manual would be nice so you'll know which wires to tap in...lol.

Basicly, just look at the wiring diagram and figure out the 2 wires that go to the ignition switch and tap those 2 wires. The S2000 start button I bought came with the pin-out diagram so I knew which wires from the start button to use. If you do a search on the internet you'll find plenty of the pin-outs for the S2000 start button.

If you want to disable the function of starting the engine by using the key then just simply cut the wire that goes to the ignition switch. I left mine on so I can use whichever method as I please, turn key or push start.

I'd do a full write-up but I couldn't find my service manual at this moment so I can scan the wiring diagram. My tight garage isn't helping much for me to go out there to take the panels out to take pics of the wirings. Adding the start button is a simple job and if you want it then you should start doing it.

Now...the hard part is where you want to mount your push start button at... ;)

Duy

IMG_0059.JPG

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good there more local to the driver....But i do like the idea of using the lighter for a no damage fitment...

MMMmmmm do i dont i.........

GTSDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good there more local to the driver....But i do like the idea of using the lighter for a no damage fitment...

MMMmmmm do i dont i.........

Ah Heck!!

I've been reading this thread with interest the last couple of days trying to decide whether to or not... If you do it I'm definitely going to want to...

I love the idea of it... :2tu:

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I will be locating my push button starter in the same location as in the picture above. But I will place the button a little lower so that the starter toggle switch can be located above it.

I'll post pics of my install when I start working on it....hopefully soon ;)

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to hard wire your radar detector then or your Sat Nav, cant charge your mobile in the car and thats just for starters if you loose the cigar lighter.

Gen II A second position won't work as you have the mirror 'Joystick'

Disable the inbuilt switch on the key for start and if your wiring or the switch fails then its the flatbed home.

If you use the Honda switch please use a relay on the circuit, been there done that on the Ram, but that introduces something else to go wrong.

In the end settled for a relay with the Honda switch and left the stock wiring connected as a get out of jail card.

Was a very easy job on the Ram and looking at the Viper about the same.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should think that if you were to wire in the push button start, you'd really want to have a failsafe switch "in front" of it for security so not just any ***** can hop in your car and take off. What would your insurance company say?

Where you put that one is up to you. I'm not a fan of the footwell, even with a covered aircraft safety switch, because you could always hit it. Whatever you do, make sure you have solid connections throughout. What with hard launches or heavy G forces in cornering, the wire looms move a bit and you don't need your engine, power steering and brakes to cut out at a bad time.

I'm unaware of the S2000 switch or how it is wired in. Likewise, I'm unaware of how Dodge does security with their keys. But it seems to me there are several ways to bypass the ignition on the column. Likewise, for those who want push-button starting without having to put in a big, visible button (granted, for most people the whole point is to HAVE the button) you could wire it in other ways. I've put switches under my shift boot, inside panels, you could replace your horn button, etc. You could even get complicated (silly?) and wire it so it "only starts for you".... have the button on the dash or in the cig lighter location, but also have another switch you need to depress with your right foot (presuming e-brake is on at start). The sky is the limit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang