Question about brake fluid

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to add a little brake fluid to my '01 RT/10. The manual says that Mopar DOT 4 is recommended but Mopar DOT 3 is acceptable. The car currently contains DOT 4 and the local Dodge shop only has DOT 3 in stock. Is it ok to "top-off" the brake fluid using DOT 3? I intend to change out all of the fluids this fall so I am only looking for a temporary fix right now. Thanks for any feedback that you can offer.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely fine. You;ll only run into a problem if you mixed with Dot5.
I'd highly recommend Motul 600RBF Dot4 when you totally replace. Only $10 a bottle and has much higher boiling points. Might be overkill for street but why not use the best in this price range? Hard to find, I get it from local motorcycle shop, easy to order online.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely fine. You;ll only run into a problem if you mixed with Dot5.
I'd highly recommend Motul 600RBF Dot4 when you totally replace. Only $10 a bottle and has much higher boiling points. Might be overkill for street but why not use the best in this price range? Hard to find, I get it from local motorcycle shop, easy to order online.

That is what I just replaced my stock fluid with. My car is mainly street driven with a few track weekends a yr.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is there any paticular part # for the Mopar DOT 3 or do I just tell them "give me DOT 3, please"?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't buy DOT3 from Dodge.
1. Find Motul in your area or order it online
2. If you just can't wait, do what Ron says and get a high quality Dot4 from a local auto parts store

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi