Question About Head Gasket Replacement on a '96

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the infamous paper gaskets were only found on Gen1 Vipers up through 1995. Starting with 1996, MLS gaskets have been utilized. Someone also quoted $3K to replace the paper gaskets with MLS. My question is, do 96's suffer from the paper gasket issue and what is the normal labor/parts charge for replacement?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall, the '96 RT's were still Gen 1's and used the paper gasket. The '96 GTS's were all GEN II's and did not use the older paper gasket.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall, the '96 RT's were still Gen 1's and used the paper gasket. The '96 GTS's were all GEN II's and did not use the older paper gasket.

Ah...there's my confusion, the 96 GTS, now I understand. Thanks!

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: about $3K with parts and labors..I am in the process of doing the service next we

One other notion ..Cometic gaskets is the only way to go..
Arthur

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...-gen-1-and-2-owners..Buhler-and-the-Cometric-..

Thanks for the info. Also, Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty has custom Cometic gaskets that allow the lifters to be removed without having to remove the heads. I installed these on my engine when I did my build last year and the design came in very handy when I had to replace a lifter.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: about $3K with parts and labors..I am in the process of doing the service next we

Thanks for the info. Also, Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty has custom Cometic gaskets that allow the lifters to be removed without having to remove the heads. I installed these on my engine when I did my build last year and the design came in very handy when I had to replace a lifter.

I have to know, how did you get the lifter past the dog bone and how did you drop the new one in.

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had mine done, Dan Lesser did them. He also did the lifters, push rods and HS 1.7's. While it was there he did all fluids, plugs, wires, AC o-rings, misc. gaskets and a 4-wheel alignment. Feels like a new car. He really took care of my car!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I have to know, how did you get the lifter past the dog bone and how did you drop the new one in.

12" 1/4" drive extension, 11mm flex head, and a magnet is all you need with those gaskets in place to get the dog bone out of the way :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I disagree a bit.

The Year Matters, and within 1996 there are Gen 1 motors in all RT10s, and Gen 2 Motors in all GTS.

The infamous "Gen One Head Gasket" issue was well-known to Dodge and VEWC by 1995. The cylinder 92-95 liners would creep up and eat the gaskets. The liners were the culprit, not just a paper gasket. THAT WAS FIXED by ALL of 96. All prior Gen 1 are vulnerable to liner creep.

Many warrantee replacements had been performed, and the problem was know by the time the 1996 Gen 1 motors were built. The issue was LINER CREEP not just gaskets... So, the 1996 Gen One RT/10 motors DID have an upgraded locked liner, and a newer-spec 'paper' gasket. But did NOT have the improved 5-layer, metal-core gasket so easy to ID at the head-seam, and also later-revised for all warrantee and service parts.

Does that nit-pick the issue sufficiently?

JonB~~~~:<~

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here is a FRIENDLY WARNING for those who plan to replace their Gen I Viper's head gaskets (or worse yet,...have not planned to do so and need to do so urgently AFTER head gasket failure)...remember that I am an end consumer and not a mechanic:

THE PROBLEM;

If one goes to a friendly Dodge dealer's parts department where they only occasionally (if ever) do Viper service to inquire about new, replacement Gen I Mopar head gaskets, one will find that they indeed show up as "available" in the inventory system...even carrying an upgraded "AB" or "AC" designator at the end of the part number. However, when recently checking this out for a member needing new head gaskets ASAP, I was told that the "new" Mopar part was a thicker paper gasket...but certainly NOT the multi-layered metallic upgraded gasket that most of us prefer. This CAN be a costly error in MY opinion.

THE SOLUTION;
Buy new head gaskets from trusted folks who support this site and be SURE that you are getting the "right stuff" for your job. When I last bought these gaskets for our two Gen I Vipers, the Mopar list price was over $800.00 PER head gasket...but I did pay considerably less than list price due to the kindness of JonB and Chuck Tator...BOTH of whom sent me a set of the metallic gaskets immediately!! (Thanks, Guys...we are still indebted). Later, Dan Lesser got into action, and let's just say that the price for the preferred metallic/layered gaskets has fallen considerably...and are quite available...made by the original supplier Cometic.

Others can fill in more blanks in this complex story...but I am only interested in our folks getting the CORRECT quality items at a fair price in this particular situation. And, YES, I do buy parts from a SEVERAL trusted vendors and dealers regularly...NO politics here on my part.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I disagree a bit.

The Year Matters, and within 1996 there are Gen 1 motors in all RT10s, and Gen 2 Motors in all GTS.

The infamous "Gen One Head Gasket" issue was well-known to Dodge and VEWC by 1995. The cylinder 92-95 liners would creep up and eat the gaskets. The liners were the culprit, not just a paper gasket. THAT WAS FIXED by ALL of 96. All prior Gen 1 are vulnerable to liner creep.

Many warrantee replacements had been performed, and the problem was know by the time the 1996 Gen 1 motors were built. The issue was LINER CREEP not just gaskets... So, the 1996 Gen One RT/10 motors DID have an upgraded locked liner, and a newer-spec 'paper' gasket. But did NOT have the improved 5-layer, metal-core gasket so easy to ID at the head-seam, and also later-revised for all warrantee and service parts.

Does that nit-pick the issue sufficiently?

JonB~~~~:<~

Hey Jon,

I would have to mildly disagree on some points. From what I have seen, the "liner shift" issue associated with the Gen-1 is not related to the gasket design being "eaten", but rather the material selection and design is more able to be excessively compressed, leading to the liners becoming loose. The Gen-1 metal matrix gaskets have a Stainless Fire Ring in the center that the liners ride against, but it is "crimped" around the bore area. This means that the ring can be compressed, as the inside of it is technically metal matrix, not solid stainless. The later engines didn't have "locked" cylinders so to speak, they just had a two-piece design which allowed them to be "adjusted" in height, applying extra gasket squish at the bore if needed, locking them in place. This solved that one issue- but as you pointed out, didn't solve the primary leakage issue anyway. However, in ALL cases, MLS style gaskets are immune to compression shifting issues.