Question about importing a car into Canada

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone who has experience importing american cars into Canada can give me a little advice. I am trying to sell my H2 to a gentleman in Canada and he said that the RIV (registrar for imported vehicles) will not certify any modified vehicle (the Hummer is lifted). I was hoping someone knows if there is a way that I can import my Hummer to Canada? Is there any way around this RIV issue? Thanks for any help, and rest assured the Viper is staying in my garage.

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well what he will need to do is to pass 2 inspections. One at the Canadian tire (garage) where he will need to comply with the canadian law (day running light, etc) and the other inspection is a safety inspection. What he should do is to go to his local canadian tire and to the place where he can pass the safety and ask them if this will pass the inspection. The RIV has nothing to do with that, he just need to import it as if it was a regular hummer.

OP
OP
S

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the admissibility list, there is no mention of Hummers. Know I know that there are Hummers in Canada, and I doubt they are all illiegally imported, so I must be missing something. Any ideas? Thanks for the help so far.

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the admissibility list, there is no mention of Hummers. Know I know that there are Hummers in Canada, and I doubt they are all illiegally imported, so I must be missing something. Any ideas? Thanks for the help so far.

There is no way around the RIV, it's the only standard used for importing cars in from outside of Canada.

On the admissibility list it does not list the Hummer specifically, you need to look at "SECTION 5 - MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES(MPV"

Which means any MPV can be imported, with the exception of what's listed as inadmissable(the Hummer is OK, my brother in law atually bought a 06 Hummer H2 that was brought in from the US. The only restriction however is that they must not have any alterations other then actual repairs. So I'm guessing any aftermarket upgrades and such are inadmissable.

The only thing the guy your selling to can do is convert the Hummer bak to stock and then put the aftermarket stuff back on after the inspection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32