Question about my ventilation ???

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 02 gts when I get ac charged and turn the ac on it only blows out the defrost up by windshield not out the vents... Any ideas what or how to fix this? Thanks,

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just like on fords and dodges and other cars my mechanic worked on there is a air duct switch or module, normally very inexpensive, getting to it is a pain in the ass, since i have seen dashes completely apart just to get to it. sounds like the flap that controls the air flow is stuck. not sure if that helps.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, I'm no mechanical expert but it sounds broken to me. Glad to be of service.:rolleyes:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These Vipers use a vacuum "switch" to control where the air condtioned air goes. If vacuum is gone, the "default" position is the defroster vents. (This also can happen momentarily if the gas pedal is pressed down very far in a higher gear.)

The A/C air coming from the defrost vents has NOTHING to do with the fact that it was just recharged. I'd first look at the passenger side intake, almost at the base of the windshield. There's a small black tube attached (or should be) that is the vacuum source for the HVAC controls. I'm betting the hose is disconnected. If that is connected, you may need to look behind the actual HVAC controls themselves. Something may be disconnected. It's easy to remove...pull the radio bezel...then 4 screws.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lift the hood, walk around to the passenger side, between the door and the silver AC Charge you should see a small plastic round cylinder (black) with a rubber inner top and an arm coming out of it, sometimes this arm becomes detached, re attach arm and you should be good :)

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 02 gts when I get ac charged and turn the ac on it only blows out the defrost up by windshield not out the vents... Any ideas what or how to fix this? Thanks,

It's the vent mode actuator. I just had the same exact problem on my DD.

The part cost $55 and the labor was $280.

It's a pain in the rear to get to because the tech has to pull the dash out to remove the old part and install the new one.

Hope this helps.