Question about Pilot Sport Cups

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looking to hear from you guys who run them.

I have read that these need to warm up before they hook. For the street, I would be mostly running cold/slightly warm. How do these tires compare to the PS2's and other street tires at temps less than track track? I am not sure how warm tires get just driving the street.

I know the Cups have a treadwear rating of 80 and the PS2's are 220. This just means they wear faster, and theoretically get better traction. I am just not sure how much better they will be for the street with street temps.

I would like to heat from anyone who runs the cups on the street and maybe can even compare to the ps2's

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They do seem to take longer to heat up than say a Hoosier on the track. Usually about 4 or 5 laps compared to 1 or 2 for a Hoosier. I don't know that you could get them up to optimum temps on the street but for street driving at 70-80% I never had an issue with them. It's a great compromise tire and even cold will have more grip than a dedicated street tire.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with McarOO

I am running the sport cups on the rear for the street. A good reliable sticky tire that will probably give me around 8000 miles tire ware. Before the cups I was using the Hoosier A6. The A6 on the street would stick better than the cups but was not very good in heavy rain conditions, and around 4000 miles tire ware. Some day I would like to give the R6 a try.

PJJP you have a monster TT set up with probably over 1000 whp. With your set up it is going to be difficult, for the street, to get real good traction even with the cups ,especially in cool weather conditions.

The SC Viper handles better with the cups they stick pretty good and are ok in all rain conditions, but they take more warm up and still will not stick as well as the Hoosiers. With the Hoosier it will take very little warm up-then they will spin slightly in first -no spin or fishtailing in 2nd or 3rd and runs straight as a arrow.

So like me, even more so with your TT set up, you are in a dilemma.

For the street, with the 19" wheels on the rear, and all the whp of your Viper, I would probably try the R6 then go to the cups if you dont like the R6. Just remember the cups will give you better tire ware than the A6 or R6. The Hoosier's have weaker side walls a very soft compound and they could be more prone to tire failure than the cups. I would also advise some 3m in certain areas on the Viper with any of the tires mentioned.

Man I fell like I am not being to helpful at all-excuse me but I am probably confusing the issue. Again I use the word DILEMMA. Maby another word if I had your TT set up-it would give me DIREEA and I certainly don't need that at my age;)

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't compare but I think the Kumho would be a great sticky tire for the rear and I have given thought to getting the Ecsta V-700's but I would have to go to 18" rims on the rear and then a relocation kit. If I had the 18" rims no doubt in my mind I would go with the Kumho. Most of those running these tires, even with high hp set up, swear by them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These PS2ZP's do seem to stick just a bit better than the Invo's. I may stick with them for a few months then go with the 19" Cups.

Anyone here running R6's on the street?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have used up two sets of CUPS on mixed street and track. I agree with part of what mcar00 said:

'I don't know that you could get them up to optimum temps on the street but for street driving at 70-80% I never had an issue with them. It's a great compromise tire and even cold will have more grip than a dedicated street tire.'

I would add, 'on DRY, not-cold pavement.'

By Lap-3, the Cups are very, very sticky. And compared to a Hoosier, the Cup is a RAIN TIRE!!!

Team SRT and Michelin picked THIS TIRE for '08 ACR for good reasons......

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the ride quality of the sport cups? I am thinking of removing (and storing as you never know what factory equipment tires are needed for the future and might dump runflat production all together) my 06 Sport Runflats, for a tire that is not hard as a brick. The ride quality on the runflats are just like having four stones attached to each wheel. Is the ride quality soften, IN ADDITION to better grip? I want to eventually remove the bounce in the suspension and just not ready for Motons yet. The majority of streets here are cement.

I would be street driving, but lucky if I put on more than 1500 to 2000 total miles a year so changing tires every 4 years is not a big deal.

Thanks

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These PS2ZP's do seem to stick just a bit better than the Invo's. I may stick with them for a few months then go with the 19" Cups.

Anyone here running R6's on the street?

Much better than the pilot sports I had on.I can spin them slightly in third,but can control that with boost by gear!They seem to drive just fine with no issues!:2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with JonB. I ran Sport Cups for 2 years and then switched to Kumhos this year. The Sport Cups were terrible on cold streets. In temps lower than 50-60 degrees I thought they were lower traction than Pilot Sports. Above 60 they were better. And above 75-80 degrees they were great. But cold roads were scary.

Kumhos are better all around for traction and do not seem to be as temperature sensitive. Good even in the cold. But my experience is the Kumhos have shorter tire life, especially if you engage in autocross events. Road track events were great with both, though the Sport Cups do take longer to get up to temperature. One thing I like about the Kumhos though is more progressivity, allowing better feedback prior to letting loose. Both on the street and track.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if I hear you guys right...

Street tire performance does not vary widely with varying temps.
Cups will vary greatly with varying temps.
Is this right? Is it possible that in the winter(on the street), PZ2's will have better traction on the cold streets?

If this is the case...It seems as though I may need a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960