Question about recall on genII cars?

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recall in question is the one that involves weilding and 12 hours of labor to accomplish. How important is this recall for people that do not track their car? I am hesitant about getting this done and was just wondering. Thanks.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you be hesitant to have the frame strengthened for free? As long as it's done at a competent shop who knows what they are doing. (many have been done wrong, ask the Wiz)

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There have been a lot of recalls that have been done wrong and caused issues. I would only let a tech that done many of these do mine. Chuck could do it easy and so could Tom Sessions. I am sure there are more that can do it but I just don't know.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since i don't track the car and check it often, I never done the steering recall on my 00 GTS but, was I did, was to get,for free, all the parts/kit needed to do it.

A recall not having an expiration date, maybe in 30 years I will have DC doing it.

Luc.00GTS

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had mine done at Tator's and seen Chuck and Rob do it during the Tech session. It's a very professional and thorough job and I recommend them. Besides it's free.

Automotive companies are recall shy. A recall is almost always decided upon by the lawyers. So when they feel that your life is worth saving, it's because they would have to pay too high a price otherwise. A recall always gets my full attention.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian I have completed 198 of them so far and three of them had broken frames! I have also had to correct eighteen of them that were done incorrectly from other Dealers. :confused:
If you would like give me a call and we can talk all about this Recall. :cool:
914-763-3136

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone have a link or place to check for recalls for Gen II cars?

--wes

V

venms96

pocketAA,
You are not that far from the "Wizard", who has and will volunteer his time to do the cost-free, Recall. But you raise a good question, and noone really answered it yet, and maybe it's more of a better safe than sorry rule. I wondered too, if you just drive the car somewhat normal, fast on the straights sometimes, and you don't hammer the corners and you aren't beating the hell out of the car, is the Recall that necessary ? I'd like the straight forward answer too, if there is one, which maybe there isn't, and it's not a big deal that there isn't that type of concrete answer.
The original owner of my 96 GTS was "afraid" to take it to the Dealer and to be honest, I can't blame him. I contacted the Wizard a few weeks ago, and he comes with high praise and respect from everyone here. He said it doesn't take that long and it will look "factory" when he's done. I will eventually get my car to NY, to the Wizard, to have it done, just so it's done.....finally. Then there won't be anymore wondering about it, and it'll be done correctly. Thanks to the Wizard who sent me pics of what "could" happen to the car (scary) and for volunteering his expertise on the Viper. He's a Lifetime NRA Member too, so that's another reason for me to head north and get the damn thing done. :)

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky that you are somewhat close to the Wizard. For your own peace of mind, get it done. If you decide to sell in the future, the issue will have been resolved. I was also at the tech session and saw how "finished" the job looked when completed... :headbang:

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
pocketAA,
You are not that far from the "Wizard", who has and will volunteer his time to do the cost-free, Recall. But you raise a good question, and noone really answered it yet, and maybe it's more of a better safe than sorry rule. I wondered too, if you just drive the car somewhat normal, fast on the straights sometimes, and you don't hammer the corners and you aren't beating the hell out of the car, is the Recall that necessary ? I'd like the straight forward answer too, if there is one, which maybe there isn't, and it's not a big deal that there isn't that type of concrete answer.
The original owner of my 96 GTS was "afraid" to take it to the Dealer and to be honest, I can't blame him. I contacted the Wizard a few weeks ago, and he comes with high praise and respect from everyone here. He said it doesn't take that long and it will look "factory" when he's done. I will eventually get my car to NY, to the Wizard, to have it done, just so it's done.....finally. Then there won't be anymore wondering about it, and it'll be done correctly. Thanks to the Wizard who sent me pics of what "could" happen to the car (scary) and for volunteering his expertise on the Viper. He's a Lifetime NRA Member too, so that's another reason for me to head north and get the damn thing done. :)

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF

who are you kidding, drive the car to NY, maybe trailer it! :nana:

I heard the 96's don't go fast enough to worry about it :D

I had mine done here locally and they did a fine job, thats why mine's faster than yours.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done here locally and they did a fine job, thats why mine's faster than yours.

Can you get the oil filter off? :nana: If not, better see the Wiz.

V

venms96

"who are you kidding, drive the car to NY, maybe trailer it"!

Hey Ker, now I never said how I was gonna get it up to NY ! Maybe I can go on another one of, Ed's " it's right up the road" run ! Then I can just cross the border and get the frame done, right ?

Go jump in the pool, and I'll jump in my GTS....since you can't seem to squeak out a few hundred $$ to put the insurance back on yours this year!! hahaaa !
All the chlorine is going to your head.

Bout time you posted somethin !

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my Viper to Tator's to have Chuck re-do my botched recall. He did a perfect job. It was worth the trip and will do it again when the Viper need work.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have photos of where the frame cracks or the specific location to look for it, thanks

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"who are you kidding, drive the car to NY, maybe trailer it"!

Hey Ker, now I never said how I was gonna get it up to NY ! Maybe I can go on another one of, Ed's " it's right up the road" run ! Then I can just cross the border and get the frame done, right ?

Go jump in the pool, and I'll jump in my GTS....since you can't seem to squeak out a few hundred $$ to put the insurance back on yours this year!! hahaaa !
All the chlorine is going to your head.

Bout time you posted somethin !

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !
I'm waiting until yours has higher milage than mine before I put it back on the road.

Can I get the oil filter off? What's that? :confused:

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics of where the frame needs strengthening would be great so I can see if my car is having any issues. Also, Chuck, how far are you from philly?

Thanks!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics of where the frame needs strengthening would be great so I can see if my car is having any issues. Also, Chuck, how far are you from philly?

Thanks!

You can look up this Recall w/pictures: www.nhtsa.dot.gov then quick links menu, select "Recalls on vehicles & equipment" then select make, model & year.

Brian I'm 3 hours from philly.

V

venms96

Wizard,
Not trying to beat this up too much, everything has been said/answered, etc. but what are the chances that something will go wrong, if you just drive the Viper somewhat normal ?? Normal meaning; fast sometimes on a straightaway, never spinning the tires, never going sideways in a turn or anywhere, never gear jamming. Is the recall leaning more towards a car that is being driven very hard ? Just wondering. I know it's a better safe than sorry thing, and it is a recall, but why would that section have any problems to begin with unless you were just crushing it. You said you have seen a few cars
break" that weren't raced or race cars. What causes that ? I just don't see this section of the frame breaking if you aren't pounding on it. Weak welds or what from factory ? Thanks for your time on this.

I know you guys will jump on the "driving normal" section of this ! Don't be too ******* us non-racers !

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizard,
Not trying to beat this up too much, everything has been said/answered, etc. but what are the chances that something will go wrong, if you just drive the Viper somewhat normal ?? Normal meaning; fast sometimes on a straightaway, never spinning the tires, never going sideways in a turn or anywhere, never gear jamming. Is the recall leaning more towards a car that is being driven very hard ? Just wondering. I know it's a better safe than sorry thing, and it is a recall, but why would that section have any problems to begin with unless you were just crushing it. You said you have seen a few cars
break" that weren't raced or race cars. What causes that ? I just don't see this section of the frame breaking if you aren't pounding on it. Weak welds or what from factory ? Thanks for your time on this.

I know you guys will jump on the "driving normal" section of this ! Don't be too ******* us non-racers !

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

Why take the chance? It is NOT weak welds, it is the flexing of the mounting brackets for the rack and the diff that break. Yes the harder you drive the faster it will fail!