Question about trailering my 08 from the factory

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some know, I’m leaving this week to pickup my 08 at the factory and get PICS!. This will be my first haul with the Featherlite trailer I purchased last year. I was told by my Featherlite dealer that I would not need anti-sway bars or a weight distribution hitch but wanted to get input from those experienced here.

Trailer
Featherlite Enclosed - 20’ – Dry weight ~2,500lbs

Tow Vehicle
04 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi
Curb weight ~5,100lbs
Class IV hitch
Towing capacity 8,900 lbs

I approximate the total towing weight will be 6,000 lbs or so… The trip will be about 300 miles from the factory to home.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My original experience with towing my car in an enclosed trailer was with my Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. I then had a Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 that I used to trailer the same combo across the valley of the sun (Metro Phoenix), and it was a very interesting proposition in comparison to the big diesel. My Dakota weighed about the same as your Durango. The trailer (exactly like yours) moved me all over the freeway in comparison to the 2500 just due to the weight diference between the two "haulers". You should be OK, but I would'nt travel more than 65 mph, and you have to pay attention when 18 wheelers pass you, or you pass them! Just take your time and you should be alright.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think your Durango weighs 6600 lbs. I would invest in a weight distribution set up, you're going to have 600-700 lbs of tongue weight on the back of your SUV..

OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think your Durango weighs 6600 lbs. I would invest in a weight distribution set up, you're going to have 600-700 lbs of tongue weight on the back of your SUV..

Ooops...your right. I was looking at GVWR. Actual curb weight of the Durango is around 5,100 lb. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes without the WDH when you hit the brakes the front wheels get light and you no stopy. :-(

Have a great time picking her up!

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Brian GTS, Save your self alot of grief and buy the WDH as it will do wonders versa no WDH, Also make sure you have good hitch weight on the truck, because if the car is close to the back of the trailer(low hitch weight) you will get sway on the trailer and truck (even with a WDH). So put it as far ahead as possible, The reason I tell you this is I want you to have a safe trip, and also so I can see the pictures of my SSG Roadster.:D:D:D

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of having a tow vehicle that weights more than what is being towed......that being said that durango will be really low-ass dragging if you don't do the weight disturbution bars and you may want to get a anti-sway controller because the tow vehicle will weight less than what its towing, and if the trailer gets out of hand for some reason it will take the car with it, a sway bar controller will keep it straighter.

Just a thought, why not take a puddle jumper plane into michigan and drive that car home. 300miles perfect break in and suppose to be a great weather weekend and its a holiday weekend.:D

What your gonna spend in gas driving round trip and especially on the way home you could probably get a plane ticket for that cost.
Figure you may get 12 mpg on the way there pulling that trailer.....300miles @[email protected]/gal= $100.00
trip home-300 miles @at best [email protected]/gal= 172.00

total 272.00 plus another 100.00 for junk food at the local circle ****....:D

other option-
plane ticket maybe 150.00-200.00 one way to michigan.
gas on way home 300miles @[email protected]/gal=61.00 and you could do it in one tank!!
no reason to stop at the local circle jerks for junk food because you won't want to get out of your new car:), so money saved there also:2tu:
sounds like the better option to me...............

Anyways get a sway bar/WD and a brake control and have a safe trip

OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! A WDH it is then. I have one lined up for installation in the morning. I would have done it myself but my Featherlite has a welded aluminum plate over the "A" frame. It needs to be notched out to connect the WDH hardware plate to the trailer. I'll leave that up to the pros.

Supersnake - I weighed the tongue tonight. Its around 670lb right now which is right around 11% (between the recommended 10-15%). My eyes will be peeled for your car: SSG Vert - no stripes (yet) - H-spokes - I status - 765.

Ullose - Thanks for the number crunching. You made me think about that for a moment. The weather here in PA has been terrible this week only and it doesn't look very promising for the remainder. Thats the only thing holding me back.

You can count on pics from the plant when I return. Should have them for you all on Friday.

Thanks again. :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're going for the WDH. Could have been scary without it in the wrong conditions.

I've used one very successfully for many miles towing my Viper in an enclosed trailer with a full size, 4wd diesel pick up. No issues.

Good luck,

Dan

VCA Member
Reaction score
Are you picking up the SSG with the black stripes? - it was parked next to mine when I picked-up last Thursday.

I drove it home to Philadelphia.

OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made it home safely. The WDH worked great. Thanks to all again.

I'll be posting pics of the experience tonight.

VCA Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was it! Was yours red? If so, see the thread below. There is a picture the Ohio club took of our cars together in the factory pickup area.

They were both our cars - thanks for the photo link. My camera was not as good!