Question For Those Who Customize Their Models

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OK- So I've painted the interior and exterior to my liking, and I found some wheels that I like. Now what? If anyone has any ideas that can be done by someone without much skill, please let me know. Also, I'd love to see some pictures of custom model Vipers others have made. Thanks a lot!

Kurt

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry, your question is too broad. I'm not sure at all about what you asking for.
Can I ask you what steps you took to paint your car? What colors is the exterior and interior?

I still haven' gotten to paint my GTS, which will be my first. Or SRT after that. I have to go pick up some cheap 1:24 to practice. Plus I have to get a few more materials. I did "sharpie" the interior black on the 97 White/Blue GTS. And I'll paint the GTS Black with almost-Viper blue stripes, looks very good for the cheapness. The paint shop didn't have Sapphire for the stripes.

I'm looking into different colors for the SRT. I'll see if my stepdad can take a pic of the cars when I'm done, but I'll need someone to possibly host since the Media Section doesn't work properly for me.

OP
OP
K

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Sean- How's it going? Did you go to Carlisle this year? Unfortunately I missed it because I was at a summer program in Pittsburgh. I was dissappointed because I was looking forward to seeing an SRT-10 in person. Hopefully next year!

Anyway, I'm also using a cheap plastic 1:24 model. It's a Snapfast GTS kit. My painting steps are not very detailed; as I mentioned before, I'm a beginner. I paint each piece while it's still on the plastic brackets. First I painted the "speakers" on the hood flat black, then I painted the rest of the body a gloss black. While that dried, I painted the interior with a color very similar to that of the Connelly leather. I also painted the shifter and the e-brake with the same color. I have the '99 Viper brochure, which shows an excellent picture of the interior of a car with the Connelly which I use as a model.

As far as my question concerns, I remember reading posts here about special parts people had made for their models, like front splitters and exhaust modifications. My question mainly focused on pieces like that. I'm also looking to cover the spare tire in the back, becasue it doesn't match my wheels. I wanted to make a little cargo mat with the Viper on it. Do they actually make these? If so, what do they look like? What would be the best way to go about making one for a 1:24 model? Anyway, I apologize for the confusion.

Please do find someone to post pictures of your models when they're done; I like the color scheme. Thanks!

-Kurt

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture is not the greatest. You can get sheet and rod plastic at a local hobby store. Very easy to cut with sharp knife. I haven't modified a viper but I did put a rear belly pan on a Prowler to match my car (also did hardtop and spoiler, removed bumpers, added steel in pan and added license plate). I also print out decals on my printer using clear film I got from local art store.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1:18 scale model is a Bburago die cast. That's why I was asking you what steps you took since I thought you were talking about a die cast model. I've never worked with a plastic one, although I have a bunch lieing around.

Kurt, I didn't go to Carlisle this year. I moved from Maryland and am living in Ohio currently, after my year at Coastal Carolina Univ. in Myrtle Beach, SC. I've only gone to one Viper event since the Christmas Party in Annapolis. So I'm looking for a fix ;) . Depending on how close you are to Columbus, OH- we're having the Viper Nationals in September 19-21 (I think it starts on Fri.). I'm actually not sure if I'll make it that Saturday because I have tickets to an Ohio State football game. "All the fastest Vipers will be attending". Supposed to be the biggest annual event in OH.

OP
OP
K

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wayne- That looks great! However, I don't think I have the skill to create a piece like that. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it!

Sean- I think it rained at Carlisle anyway, so it couldn't have been too much fun... I also am in need of the Viper fix; not many around here though. The event in Columbus sounds cool, I'll have to see if I can make it.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Customizing a model has no real limits. You can do any of the following:

Change The Exterior Color

Change The Interior Color

Change The Wheels (Especially Bburago Models)

Paint The Wheels

Paint The Calipers

And Even More

The sky is the limit on this project. Here are a few pictures of the custom models in my collection:

1/12 Scale Dodge Viper RT/10 in Chrome

You must be registered for see images

1/12 Scale Dodge Viper RT/10 in Standox Catalyuna Splash
(Changes Color Depending On The Light)

1/18 Scale Dodge Viper GTS in Blue
Made To Replicate The Viper In The TV Show

1/18 Scale Dodge Viper RT/10 "R" #40 in Orange

1/18 Scale Dodge Viper RT/10 "R" #41 in Yellow

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
K

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
F355- Those models are awesome! When you said it was especially easy to change wheels on Burago models, what did you mean? I tried to take the wheels off some of mine, but was afraid I'd break the axles. Thanks for your help!

-Kurt

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry I have been out of town for the last few days. As for changing the wheels, ti is pretty easy on Bburagos. They are attached well but can be taken off. The usually pop right off. If they do not pop right off then it will require a little force. When trying to change the wheels make sure that you are not pulling the whole axle. Grab the whole wheel and pull in more of a cirle motion. Do not just pull it off or you can break the axle. I have changed many of my wheels and it works pretty well almost all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62