Question on installing Mopar PCM

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered the Mopar Perf.PCM,3 INCH catless exhaust and Mopar air filters for my '06 coupe. My question on the PCM is on installation is it a plug and play or is there a throttle position learning routine. Thanks for you input.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check with Chuck, a.k.a Viper Wizard or Mark at Woodhouse. They can answer all your questions with a phone call.

Reaction score
You will need to have the dealer install it EXACTLY like the instructions say and yes there is a throttle learning process you have to go through the first time. After that you can swap them back and forth as needed.

OP
OP
M

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will need to have the dealer install it EXACTLY like the instructions say and yes there is a throttle learning process you have to go through the first time. After that you can swap them back and forth as needed.

The only instructions said to install it per '03 Viper service manual. It also said there was no need to enter the vin. I changed the one on my '04 SRT RAM and there was no tps learning strategy it was just plug and play.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need the vin for emissions purchases. When they do the inspection they plug into the computer.

It is plug and play but there is still some learning curve to open loop. Full throttle data runs off of pre-installed parameters.

The only instructions said to install it per '03 Viper service manual. It also said there was no need to enter the vin. I changed the one on my '04 SRT RAM and there was no tps learning strategy it was just plug and play.

Reaction score
The PCM came with DETAILED instructions on how it is installed and initialized with the VIN. There is also the throttle learn for the electric throttle body's. There has been numerous problems with perfectly fine PCM's that I have taken back and sent out to diagnose. EVERY one of these has come back perfect. There is a fine line between being able to install a PCM and not evidently and not all Techs are equal we are finding out.

Bottom line is don't give up on the PCM just stress the importance to the Tech that the instructions are not generic and need to be followed to the T.

I think you need the vin for emissions purchases. When they do the inspection they plug into the computer.

It is plug and play but there is still some learning curve to open loop. Full throttle data runs off of pre-installed parameters.

TNT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mopar 3" Catless exhaust is great. You will love the sound. I have the whole package including cam in my 04 and love it. Mine was installed by the dealer and they did a great job but I sure wish I was closer to some of the great shops and services you have down south. If you have it dyno'd let us know what the numbers look like. I have never had mine done but it was a big improvement.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark he has an 06 Coupe. No electric throttle bodies:smirk:

The PCM came with DETAILED instructions on how it is installed and initialized with the VIN. There is also the throttle learn for the electric throttle body's. There has been numerous problems with perfectly fine PCM's that I have taken back and sent out to diagnose. EVERY one of these has come back perfect. There is a fine line between being able to install a PCM and not evidently and not all Techs are equal we are finding out.

Bottom line is don't give up on the PCM just stress the importance to the Tech that the instructions are not generic and need to be followed to the T.

OP
OP
M

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got it all done yesterday. Thanks for the input everyone. I love the catless 3 inch it sounds more like a 500 inch sports car now. I installed the pcm after I finished the exhaust then took it to the dealer and let him enter the VIN and mileage. I had to have a new remote programmed anyway.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. The new tune will liven up mid range power and torque. You will notice that a stab at the gas above 2500 now results in immediate and blinding acceleration.

I got it all done yesterday. Thanks for the input everyone. I love the catless 3 inch it sounds more like a 500 inch sports car now. I installed the pcm after I finished the exhaust then took it to the dealer and let him enter the VIN and mileage. I had to have a new remote programmed anyway.

OP
OP
M

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On an '06 it is just below and to the side of the upper radiator hose. Just take the two wing screws out of the air duct and move it toward passenger side,disconnect upper radiator hose clamp and hose from radiator and there it is! Two screws and 3 connectors and that is it.I just set my coolant drain pan under the radiator and it only lost about a quart of coolant when I took the hose off.I hooked everything back up,topped off my coolant and washed off the coolant that spilled.

OP
OP
M

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice. The new tune will liven up mid range power and torque. You will notice that a stab at the gas above 2500 now results in immediate and blinding acceleration.

You sir are absolutely correct!!:drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave