Questionalbe antifreeze leak

RT Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So hear is my question. I pull into drive way. which is on a 35 degree angle. I get out of my 92 Viper, and open garage door when I turn around antifreeze is coming out of the front of car running down the drive way. I pull car in open the hood and see nothing wrong nothing is loose everything looks fine. I let car cool down and check my overflow bottle and its empty. I have since replaced fluid and car seems fine, temp gauge show 190 degrees while at operating temperature not sure what happened any ideas?

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So hear is my question. I pull into drive way. which is on a 35 degree angle. I get out of my 92 Viper, and open garage door when I turn around antifreeze is coming out of the front of car running down the drive way. I pull car in open the hood and see nothing wrong nothing is loose everything looks fine. I let car cool down and check my overflow bottle and its empty. I have since replaced fluid and car seems fine, temp gauge show 190 degrees while at operating temperature not sure what happened any ideas?
At 35 degrees, its probably spilling out of your overflow in the passenger side bumper.

Also, that's probably not great for engine starts on a hill that steep.

Can we get a pictures of this driveway? Sounds interesting

Walter Clark

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you changed the coolant in the last few months? Mine did something like that, but on a level surface. Only happened the one time and it was in the month or so after I had drained the coolant for some work on the engine. It was after a fairly long drive and probable the first time it was thoroughly heated up since the coolant was drained and replaced. I blamed it on an air pocket somewhere that had not purged and possibly expanded a lot when it moved while driving. That would push a large amount of coolant into the overflow bottle, causing it to overflow unless it was empty to begin with, then get sucked dry when the engine cooled. I normally keep my overflow bottl an inch or so above the minumuum when cold and it fills itself to an inch or so below the max line when it is hot. So it wouldnt take a lot more to overflow the bottle on mine.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There's a lot of air volume in the tank, but a large steam release could belch a splatter of fluid out because steam release is so sudden.

Attachments

• Overflow bottle.jpg
    Overflow bottle.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
R

RT Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you changed the coolant in the last few months? Mine did something like that, but on a level surface. Only happened the one time and it was in the month or so after I had drained the coolant for some work on the engine. It was after a fairly long drive and probable the first time it was thoroughly heated up since the coolant was drained and replaced. I blamed it on an air pocket somewhere that had not purged and possibly expanded a lot when it moved while driving. That would push a large amount of coolant into the overflow bottle, causing it to overflow unless it was empty to begin with, then get sucked dry when the engine cooled. I normally keep my overflow bottl an inch or so above the minumuum when cold and it fills itself to an inch or so below the max line when it is hot. So it wouldnt take a lot more to overflow the bottle on mine.
I have not changed the fluid, but the overflow tank was empty when I checked it and I put fluid in and that disappeared after a cruise. Car didnt overheat, I put more antifreeze in and went on another cruise and the fluid remained in tank.
I talked to Steve from Indy and he suggested I call Steve Dryer or Dwyer from Auto Form Development. I did and he hasn't returned my call yet.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep filling it at the header tank and burping properly, over a few drive cycles it should hold level. If not, you have a leak - either internal, or external. The cap seal works 2 ways - it allows fluid expansion to the tank when hot, then siphons coolant back as the internal pressure normalizes.

Last edited: