Questions about my 96

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to do some research on my 96 R/T-10 that I just got but I'm just getting confused a lot. I spoke to a Viper Tech who's been working on them since their inception and he told me my 96 had a mix of early production 1996 and late production 1996. He thinks that as they started changing things around to make way for the GTS mine was in the middle and got some of both production runs.
My confusion comes from the end of VIN number. According to http://www.theviperregistry.org/build.php the first build of the 1996 R/T-10 was TV100001 but my VIN is TV100037 which, if they are built in running order, would make mine number 36 off the assembly line. I don't get how it would have a mix of early 96 production and late 96 production if it was the 36th Viper off the assembly line.

Can anyone help with my confusion? :confused:

Also, I was going over my VIN and according to http://www.theviperregistry.org/vin.php The 5th digit should be R which signifies it's a Viper. My 5th digit is a D ... ??? Did I maybe read it wrong? I'm not in front of the car right now but will double check when I get home.

Also what is the Check Digit? 9th digit in the vin. Mine is 8.

Thanks for any help!
-Mike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By 1996, they were not built in order by VIN as I recall. Later on, they even alternated with Prowlers!!

The "mix" was: 1996 RT/10's had a Gen I motor, with a Gen II suspension. Exhaust was moved to rear ...similar (but not exactly like) to Gen II exhaust.

4th digit is Passenger Safety...you should have a "B" = Manual Seatbelts.

5th digit is Car Line..."R"=Viper

6th digit is Series..."6"=Performance/Image

7th digit is Body Style..."5"= Open Body (roadster)

8th digit is Engine..."E"=8.0 liter, 10 cylinder

9th digit...you are on your own

10th digit is Model Year..."T"=1996

OP
OP
J

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they were not built in VIN order is there any way to tell which number in the assembly process it is? Does anyone know what the production dates of the 96 R/T-10, start/finish?
That's what the Viper tech was telling me, engine, suspension, rear exit exhaust and a few other things like exterior door handles.

5th digit is Car Line..."R"=Viper
I need to go home and double check mine because I have "D" written down.

9th digit...you are on your own
I have an "8" in the 9th digit, does anyone know what that signifies?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 RT/10 is dubbed the Gen 1 1/2.

I think the 99's have vin issues too and it had something to do with Prowlers:dunno:

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are all correct about the 5th digit.
5th Digit: Has to be an "R". If it were a "D", your Viper would be a new model ...... it would be an Intrepid Viper. "D" was for Intrepid. (LOL).
9th digit is what is known in the industry as a "Check" digit. It is derived at through a sequential code known only to the manufacturer and is of no relevance to us lesser bottom feeders. It is only of significance to the automotive manufacturer of that particular vehicle. I can't say more or I will lose my Secret Agent Man credentials; and more importantly, my super decoder ring - which is irreplaceable. (LOL).
9th digit: You can ignore it.

Last edited:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIN and sequential build numbers are different The driver's door tag is the key. The 96 RTs are all TV100xxx. All the 96 GTS Vipers start with TV20xxxx. 96 RTs do not have outside door poppers, roll-up windows, or airbag steering wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4