Quieting Borla Droning?

Reaction score
Hi Zippy. My GTS had the problem when fitted with the Borla System. I rapped the pipes with heat tape from just forward of the rear axle and then pulled up the carpet and added sound pad insolation material (like you find in the car sterio shops) to the body pan and bulkhead behind the seats axle and trunk. This helped somewhat. Later, after changing to a HMS system, I used the "tunable" Flowmaster bullet mufflers at the rear of the system. This greatly reduced the resonence while still providing great sound & power. The stock resignators were used to stop this annoying problem. Deleate them, and you get "the drone". I know the 93 RT exhaust is designed differently than my 97 rear exit exhaust system. Just thought mayby some of these mods could be of use on your system. My 2 cents.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the "drone" is more prevalent on rear exhaust cars...I don't remember it being on my '94, but there is a degree of drone in my 2000 GTS as was in my '96 GTS. I don't find it all that objectionable, and it only occurs at certain RPM; you can select another gear to cruise in and eliminate the drone. That said, I think your problem is with the Borla system itself. I had a Borla cat-back on my Bronco and took it off for that reason. Many folks don't like the noise a Borla system makes...on any car.

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zippy:
My Borla exhaust (same as Mopar?) drones annoyingly when coasting. This is especially a problem when using my Autoform hardtop. This problem is so severe that my ears ring after long drives. I don't want to reduce my power, but I think my hearing is being affected.

Does anyone have any advice on modifying the exhaust?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 96GTS with the Borla system. When I first got the system I didn't like the drone either but since then I have added mods that make the car too loud to hear them. In any case I asked Borla and they make a part that goes into the exhaust system that removes the drone. Contact them directly and tell them the problem and they will give you this part I believe.

Leonard

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Zippy, you might try welding in a 3 in. crossover pipe just before the tips. My friend did this on his GTS and it eliminated the drone. His pipes also had a single oval exit instead of the dual tips, and this may have also contributed to the drone elimination. See photo. The tip was made by K&P Engineering.

You must be registered for see images

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32