RaceLogic Traction Control

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone is seriously considering a RLTC unit, you should PM me for my experiences. A SEARCH will turn up some, but I'd rather not post publicly all of my thoughts.

Some of what you'll find in the SEARCH:
-I've had it for several years and it never worked properly.
-I had several boards in the unit 'burn up' and while the vendor was good about fixing them, it had to be shipped to the UK and back THREE times for these repairs. At my cost.
-A have an engine builder who claims that I toasted a forced-induction motor because of the way that the RLTC does its fuel cuts
-Since the unit only cuts 6 cylinders or 8 cylinders. there isn't a model to cut all 10. Funny things can happen.
-in a N/A set-up on a road course, i liked it and it worked OK. For forced induction, I'd avoid it like the plague

And i have many more thoughts that I won't post in the forum... so please do PM me so that you can make an informed decision.

Joseph

Reaction score
Joe,

I have made a few comments below on this list of "problems"

If anyone is seriously considering a RLTC unit, you should PM me for my experiences. A SEARCH will turn up some, but I'd rather not post publicly all of my thoughts.

Some of what you'll find in the SEARCH:
-I've had it for several years and it never worked properly. (will not work unless "properly" programmed and installed)
-I had several boards in the unit 'burn up' and while the vendor was good about fixing them, it had to be shipped to the UK and back THREE times for these repairs. At my cost. (problem found to be the heat from the coil packs stored internally. New models have external coils to eliminate the problem all together.)
-A have an engine builder who claims that I toasted a forced-induction motor because of the way that the RLTC does its fuel cuts (NOT possible and I have over 40 cars to prove this)
-Since the unit only cuts 6 cylinders or 8 cylinders. there isn't a model to cut all 10. Funny things can happen. (again, like what exactly are these "problems")
-in a N/A set-up on a road course, i liked it and it worked OK. For forced induction, I'd avoid it like the plague (proper set up as we have shown is the key, most of out S/C cars are tracked also and the owner have 0 complaints when we have installed and tuned)

And i have many more thoughts that I won't post in the forum... so please do PM me so that you can make an informed decision. (almost all the problems I have dealt with were from units that were self installed, probably about 1% of the total sales. There are hundreds of units we have sold in the last few years that are working wonderfully for the customer both Viper and VERY powerful other forced induction cars, drag and track.):eater:

Joseph

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was was trying to avoid this Mark, but since you asked, let me address a few of your issues. For everyone else reading (including Marl) please do NOT construe this in any way as an attack on Mark, Woodhouse, or the RLTC unit. This is MY ongoing experience that is still not over. The guys at Woodhouse are awesome, and Mark attempted to assist me at one time with this. I GREATLY appreciate that assistance as well as that of the highest levels of RL. Unfortunately, the stuff just doesn't work for me.

Now the good stuff:

1 - You have no knowledge of my set-up. I have been working with the product since before you were the US distributor. I didn't buy it from you but I did buy it on the recommendation(s) of the vendor. Neither you nor I nor RL are qualified to tell my engine builder that he doesn't know what he is doing. Not only does he build race cars for a living he has forgotten more about engines than you and I will ever know... combined. Why is it that the only cylinders with problems were the ones that had the fuel cut on them? See below #4 for more info on this.

2 - My system is properly installed and that configuration was verified by RL. The system works in a N/A environment. It works on a road course OK. It stunk at the drag strip. The system is cake to install. For ANYONE. See even farther below for more details on that.

3 - While I very much appreciate your attempt to previously help me with your 'program', your configuration isn't much different than the stock/from-the-factory configuration. I tried YOUR program and saw no improvement. And when I did a compare of your program to the stock program there were very few differences.

4 - Back to #1, When you cut the fuel under boost but cut not ENOUGH fuel and you create a lean condition. And this is EXACTLY what happened in my motor. Lean, mean, 30psi detonating machine.

5 - Please explain to all of us about the many drag cars running the RLTC and what their 'before' and 'after' drag racing times were with and w/o the TC unit installed? If you have any hard data then please share it! Or, (selfishly), tell me what is wrong with mine if this is such a glorious system?!? I've worked with the RLTC engineers before you started selling the product (repeat, i know). Also I've bought multiple 'this might fix it' ideas but none have worked. I'd love to NOT have this RLTC in a box on the garage of my floor... And the replacement harness... and the 'digital adjuster'. So please, enlighten me and everyone else on the board as to what is wrong with my system?

The connections are simple for these boxes:

Fuel injector splices
Coil pack splices
Power
Ground
Controller
Wheel Speed Sensor connections (or ABS).

Do you have any non-ABS Gen2 success stories? Perhaps that is my issue even though RL swears that my config is good and fine.

Believe me, I would like nothing more than to be able to tell everyone here that the system is the best thing since sliced bread. But that would be quite far from the truth.

Your response is welcome now that it is all out there (well, most of it... feel free to PM me for more info for those who want the shouldn't-be-printed stories)

JD

Joe,

I have made a few comments below on this list of "problems"

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure that a lot of people share this opinion, including myself. But you guys do have to admit if you could use this when drag racing and it helped smoke a Vette by a few more lengths it would be really cool.

It's not about "smoking a vette".... it's about bettering your abilities. I can see where in a competition level, tc can be beneficial (probably why it's getting weeded out in some places), but as a "hobby" track/weekend car, I'd prefer it to be pure.

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It works very well. We have a lot of cold wet roads and it keeps the car on the road when you get on it.