Radar Detector Question...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Valentine and only use it on long trips in my truck. It seemed to work great the first couple of times I used it, but lately it seems that there are so many electronic devices out there, that it will just sound off the entire way on the interstates. Pretty worthless if you ask me. In my neck of the woods (118 frwy) the CHP has gone crazy with writing tickets. I can drive down the main boulevard a couple of miles from me (Tapo Cyn) and without exception someone has been pulled off the frwy getting a ticket. I'm talking 24hrs a day. It's pretty much a joke between my wife and myself. The area was previously rarely enforced, now the CHP is trying to pay the States defecits off with tickets.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did my contribution to the patrolman's fund last week...$258.00 for 87 in a 70. Got nailed (I guess) by a patrolmaan with a gun on an overpass shooting cars passing underneath with the squad cars about 1/4 mile farther down the road pulling over those tagged. Obviously a bright yellow viper in a crowd of cars going 87 +/- would draw the short straw. The young tropper was nice enough and asked if I knew how they got me. I told him I had no clue since I was concentrating on getting clear of traffic and into the left hand lane to take my offramp that was approaching (true). Just ***** since I was finishing a 2 hr cruise with no drama.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did my contribution to the patrolman's fund last week...$258.00 for 87 in a 70. Got nailed (I guess) by a patrolmaan with a gun on an overpass shooting cars passing underneath with the squad cars about 1/4 mile farther down the road pulling over those tagged. Obviously a bright yellow viper in a crowd of cars going 87 +/- would draw the short straw. The young tropper was nice enough and asked if I knew how they got me. I told him I had no clue since I was concentrating on getting clear of traffic and into the left hand lane to take my offramp that was approaching (true). Just ***** since I was finishing a 2 hr cruise with no drama.

No radar detector??? Gun on an overpass should have thrown out signals to pick up.

nt2L8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use V-1 and love it, but I have no experience with other brands. I live in Virginia where radar detectors are illegal, so I only use it out of state. I have passed as many as three troopers in as many miles radaring in my direction and the V-1 lets me know thru the "threat counter" that additional radar threats are present. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge V-1 is the only detector that offers this feature. I personally like the direction arrows also - especially being able to verify that someone is comming up from the rear.

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V1 here. CHP uses Lidar which the V1 detects but then it is too late when it signals you been tagged.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Have the V1, and as others have mentioned the false alarms get old. If I was buying a new one, I would definitely consider the 9500 with the GPS built in to quiet the false alarms and the traffic camera alerts is an added nice bonus.

Laser is the biggest challenge for a "detector" as about the only thing a detector will tell you is that you're busted! Would really like to know how/IF the Laser shifters work in the Passport.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why don't you like the RX 65? It is supposed to be "one of the best", per the link that I posted above (see post #21)...
Ive become so used to the arrows, that is the only reason. The unit has some nice features, especially the smart cord and auto mute.

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Passport 9500ix's with blendmounts in 3 different vehicles. They have performed flawlessly.

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heres a few shots of my 9500ix using a Blendmount and mirror tap power cords.

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a V1 since about 2002 - it has saved me on more than a few occasions, and on one occasion, it reminded me that the laws of physics are hard to overcome (that whole speed of light thing really gets you). A couple years ago, I started noticing a huge increase in what I thought were false alarms - when I investigated further, I discovered that the city had installed a large array of speed measuring devices along state highways and interstates to keep tabs on overall traffic flow. When I looked carefully, I could see exactly where they had mounted these devices...they were usually up high on signs announcing upcoming exits, and you could clearly see that they were powered by small solar panels. Unfortuntately, the saturation caused by those signals has really caused me to ignore most of what the radar detector is reporting, but in reality, it is reporting what is actually going on in the world around it...that world has just become a little more saturated with big brother wanting to keep tabs on everything.

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice install. And I'm assuming that the 9500ix can be disconnected fairly quickly (looks like one jack)?

With a ******* RT, that would be a must....

Heres a few shots of my 9500ix using a Blendmount and mirror tap power cords.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only problem i see with this install, is you cant really get to the buttons. Take a look, unless im missing something. Passport sells a bigger suction cup that would be easier to work with.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I could install my GX65 on the mirror as it would be shielded from getting the GPS signal that runs all the extras.

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Blendmount is fully adjustable so you reach the buttons if need be. The only button I never need access to on my passport is the mute button on occasion. I have had zero problems with my mounting location and the gps functions.

Mount and mirror tap are available here-

http://www.blendmount.com/

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figure out what the local cops use. A radar/laser detector alone will not help you if they use laser. I like ****** because you can use a laser "shifter" in conjunction with it. I really think the arrows on the V1 are overrated. The detector beeps or lights up I slow down, who care what direction it's from.

The direction arrows and bogie counter is the main function that will truely save you on many occasions. One example in particular, is when your radar detector goes nuts, you slow down and over the next hill a cop is driving towards you. You think it's safe after him and speed up, even though the radar detector is still going off, because you assume it's still picking p the cop you just passed. Then over the next hill, there's another cop and you're busted. With the V1 it would show you the arrow pointing behind when you pass the first cop, then it will light up with a bogie count of 2 and an arrow pointing forward as well. It alerts you to 2nd threat, which a Passport, sti, or whatever else will not do. I've been saved like this numerous times.

Obviously the V1 is not for everyone, but in my eyes it comes down to 2 things. What do you consider more important, Knowing where the threat is?? Or blocking false alerts from automatic doors and whatnot?? If false alerts is your primary concern then maybe the Passport would be a better choice.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Something I've always been curious about with the law on BS traffic stops like this. Who's name goes on the ticket?? Because that is the officer that has to show up to court if you fight it. If the ticket writing officer signs his name, you should be able to use the defense that he never seen the radar/laser reading himself to verify it, and he also could've made a mistake on which car he waved in since it is communicated over radio from the radar operator.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always had Passports and have the built in system with front and rear laser shifters in the Viper. The shifters are a huge plus, and so is the fact that it's built in and I have the display moulded into my dash. That way, I can park it anywhere with the top down and there isn't anything to steal.
The Passport will definitely tell you how many signals it's picking up. You don't have the arrows, but as long as you put the display on "expert", or something like that, it will tell you multiple threats at once.

Attachments

• dashfront.jpg
    dashfront.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 83
  • New Dash Lights 1.jpg
    New Dash Lights 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Passport will definitely tell you how many signals it's picking up. You don't have the arrows, but as long as you put the display on "expert", or something like that, it will tell you multiple threats at once.

What he said...that's not something unique to the V1. ****** 8500 does that with expert mode. From everything I've read, Valentine makers have a patent on their direction knowing capabilities so other companies can't do it. I question the earlier poster that said their ****** has direction arrows.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something I've always been curious about with the law on BS traffic stops like this. Who's name goes on the ticket?? Because that is the officer that has to show up to court if you fight it. If the ticket writing officer signs his name, you should be able to use the defense that he never seen the radar/laser reading himself to verify it, and he also could've made a mistake on which car he waved in since it is communicated over radio from the radar operator.

There is a provision on the bottom of said "BS Summons" that specifies who the RADAR/LIDAR operator was. This is independent of the issuing Officer. If the summons is contested and subsequently goes to trial... the issuing Officer will simply subpoena the RADAR/LIDAR Officer and he will testify to his visual/audible observations, equipment certifications etc. Plan your defense well, as you will now be up against the expert testimony of two Officers... Or, so I've heard... :crazy2:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passport to detect the radar...

Laser interceptor to deflect the laser....

Regardong the LI.....I have had some funny experiences with cops hitting me with their laser and not getting a reading. Shaking their laser gun etc....:lmao:

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, any piece of RJ-11 (telephone cable) will do... Just cut off one end to length (about 10inches, but mock it up in the car to be sure) then take the exposed end, solder some pins on to the green and red wires and you're ready to plug in.

As for the OP I have an ****** 9500ix and just bought another for the jeep... Saved me many times! I don't think I know too much about where the cops are, how many, etc... I just stay at the limit if there is any KA band at all.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice tip ed, i kinda figured that but i hate soldering. probably sve a bunch of money though, might have to try it

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passport to detect the radar...

Laser interceptor to deflect the laser....

Regardong the LI.....I have had some funny experiences with cops hitting me with their laser and not getting a reading. Shaking their laser gun etc....:lmao:

Which set up do you have ? Apparently NJ has no laws that prohibit the use of Laser interceptors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang