Radio Delete?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I have removed my aftermarket stereo and amp. The previous owner cut the din cables for the aftermarket install, so going back to the stock setup would be a pain as well. So I was thinking, since I haven't been listening to the radio much anyway when I drive it, should I just remove the speakers and cover the holes in the dash? Has anyone done this before? I would just use my iPod and headphones at a low level when I drive if I decided I wanted to listen to some music one day. I'm not sure if I want the expense and weight of a new stereo.... :dunno:

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would leave all the wiring that is there, just take the speakers out, put the grills back on, and figure out what I wanted to put where the radio is in the dash. The wires to the DIN are there, but the ends have been cut off. The car is not stock or a 10/10, so I am not trying to preserve it for Barrett Jackson in 30 years.... :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since there is no pin outs that I've seen for the din cable it might as well be trash. Trying to rebuild it would be difficult.

Whatever you take out I would save. Saying what you might want the car to be in like in 30 years is a prediction that is risky. And a radio is sometimes important to an owner.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id leave the speakers unless i could find a good way to cover them without it looking like ****

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you not just buy the ends that have been cut of from Paul Scharf and join them and put a stock head unit back in??????????

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy when you play with fibres and telco wires all day....

But yes your probably right not worth the hastle when you can just run new.........

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's not a bad idea. Though the ipod/headphones is not good at all.
Keep the stock speaker grills and put something in behind, semi-gloss or matte finnish black painted sheet metal plates. Go carbon fiber if you can find some suitable 'blanks' somewhere. Ditto for the head unit, it's much more obvious being in the centre of the dash, so you'll want to put some extra care and detail into whatever block off you go with.
Might as well yank the din cable, even if you plan to 're-end' it, you'll want it out of the car to do it.

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately a moving violatioin in most states.

You going to jail!:pokey:

Thanks for the info, I did not know that! Drove the car back from South Carolina using my iPod since the amp was acting up. No more iPod then!

Hmmm, you can talk on the phone but not listen to an iPod! Not to mention guys with 140db stereos that can't hear emergency vehicles either. Guess I was nieve on this one!

Ya learn something new every day! :D

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more question - does the stock radio match the orange gauge colors or is it green? (sorry, I haven't seen one at night before)
:dunno: :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte