Ran my buddy Dave's 2001 RT/10

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran my buddy Dave\'s 2001 RT/10

A few weekends back me and Dave met up at the locl car meet @ Jenro's (for you locals) I met a few cool Viper owners on this site too, maybe they can vouch that I'm not so bad in person ;)

Dave's Viper is completely stock and my car has a Vortex intake, Kooks LT headers w/ cats, and a Borla catback. It made 371 rwhp/374 rwtq on my last dyno and weighted in @ 3040 at the drag strip w/ 3/4ths a tank of gas (new headlights and exhaust took weight out)

We had two runs...

1st from 60 mph on the highway through the top of 4th gear for me 140ish. We were dead nuts even the whole time... no one moved an inch.

2nd from 40-120 after leaving *******. Same result, we were both hooking and hiting our shifts. We were dead even in that run too. I was pretty happy that I hung with his car with just bolt-ons and no tuning. My car trapped @ 114mph with just the Vortex. I haven't been to the 1/4 since the exhaust, but the LT headers gave me an extra 31 rwhp.

C-ya

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ran my buddy Dave\'s 2001 RT/10

Lol, I think I remember you. Aren't you the same guy who came on this board awhile back bragging about your Z06, and how much better it was than a Viper that you test drove....until everyone flamed you off the board?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont get these kinds of posts ..his car is stock with about 400 lbs of extra weight than yours...your car is modded and his is stock.. and you stayed even..SO WHATS YOUR POINT!

Adam

PS..I remember your last post how you were so disapointed with the viper...what a joke!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By the way, Cobra 4B, I know drivers who can trap 120 mph in a stock RT/10.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the guy who comes here talks smack, and then goes to Vette forum and puts a link there.

I think he is talking about his imaginary z06.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yeah, i remember this guy now...

replying to this thread feels like we're playing his game

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here we go again. :rolleyes:
Who cares? I wouldn't be bragging about 114 mph in the quarter. Why stop at 120? Keep the hammer down and you'll see the viper walk you. You should be able to keep up in a short distance. Your gearing is much more aggressive than the vipers. The longer the race the more you get eat. I have owned 2 405hp Z06's they are nice and fast cars. Excellent car for the money. But they will never compare to a Viper. Not in power,speed,looks,etc..... Go back to the vette forum and have a v-8.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score

well said 2manytoys, we have had enough of this. I still have not heard a story of a corvette owner say that they raced a viper and they were side by side all the way to 180.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well said 2manytoys, we have had enough of this. I still have not heard a story of a corvette owner say that they raced a viper and they were side by side all the way to 180.
lol exactly!
I have had both cars and know the differences. They are nice cars and I like them. But they are not comparable to a viper.

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not getting a Viper. I bought my car to run open track events and I feel that a Z06 is a better platform for doing this (lighter, stiffer, better weight distribution). Yes a Viper has more horsepower stock and is a good track car with the proper driver, but once the power is equalized blah blah...

I didn't buy my car to get looks or pull ****, but if that's what I wanted I'd get a used rt/10 or something, I agree that they look great and are more rare so people freak out when they see 'em.

My post that pissed everyone off was the day last fall that I got to test drive a stock RT/10 and I wasn't impressed. I'm 6'4" and just can't fit in one. Dave let me try to get in his again and w/ his soft top on I was looking straight into the visor. When I looked left I looked right into the roof! I had to look down to see out the window.

Yes my Z06 is imaginary...
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Oh yeah... see ya @ Viper Days @ VIR

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Plus I hear all the time from Vette owners they wish they had a Viper. :D

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

since when is the z06 stiffer and have better weight distribution?
That's what I was thinking! Try jacking your car up behind the front wheel, and see if the rear comes up with it. Oh, it doesn't? Mine does! BTW, my car trapped 125 with just a muffler delete.

rsviper94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yesterday a very nice ZO6 pulled up next to me at a stop light, I was going to have a little fun with him even though I was driving my Navigator. To my surprise(not really) it was a woman driver not a man. Why is it that I see so many women driving Corvettes these days? Is it because after they get 3 years old anyone can buy one for around $20 to 25,000 or is it because Chevy has made them so easy to drive that a monkey can drive it?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was next to a Z06 yesterday on the freeway. I was driving my Jeep Grand Cherokee. (slightly modded.) We both took off, and we stayed even up to 60. We were dead nuts even the whole way.

She looked like a good driver (and kinda cute too.) :D :rolleyes:
Don't know if She was modded or not.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

since when is the z06 stiffer and have better weight distribution?
That's what I was thinking! Try jacking your car up behind the front wheel, and see if the rear comes up with it. Oh, it doesn't? Mine does! BTW, my car trapped 125 with just a muffler delete.

I was about to say something like that. It was funny seeing the stiffness/weight distribution comment, having owned a Z06 and now the much stiffer RT/10.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll vouch for ya Brian (being a good guy) but boy you really know how to stir up the hornets nest! LOL.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks bob, I brought it home to Michigan in December and I couldn't wait to go on my first ride with the top off. As soon as it was at least 30 degrees I got my coat and went out.

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was next to a Z06 yesterday on the freeway. I was driving my Jeep Grand Cherokee. (slightly modded.) We both took off, and we stayed even up to 60. We were dead nuts even the whole way.

She looked like a good driver (and kinda cute too.) :D :rolleyes:
Don't know if She was modded or not.

:D :D :D

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rsviper94, said a mouth full with "Why is it that I see so many women driving Corvettes these days? Is it because after they get 3 years old anyone can buy one for around $20 to 25,000 or is it because Chevy has made them so easy to drive that a monkey can drive it?"

Not to get into a "my dad's bigger than yours" contest, but I live in Ohio where it snows in the winter and we salt the rods heavily. It still amazes me how many new bodied vettes I see being driven year-round. If you had a car that you treasured, or respected, would you drive it all year in bad weather? I don't. Or do vette owners consider them (at that price range) disposable?

I considered getting a new vette, (and still am considering it) but why come to this board and dispute raw facts. Any reputable testing facility basically states that a gen II viper outperforms any production car up to about double (or so) it's own price. STOCK to STOCK.

With a race prep the viper will run competitively with any car in it's same "weight class". Then if we start cutting weight... Well you get the picture. I HOPE...

I'm not slinging mud (or track prep compound) but wonder why other people do. That's like saying I made "all these mods" to my 3000GT VR and want to go road race somebody's stock car ??? What's the point.

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only thing a Viper doesn better stock v. stock is accelerate =). 1/4 mile comes down to driving abilities and where is it ever shown that a GEN II Viper will out corner, slalom, or brake (GEN III braking Yes) a Z06?

What's the weight distribution on a stock Viper (John wanna pipe up w/ some facts for me?)? A Z06 is 51/49 as the motor sits completely behind the front axles and the tranaxle is in the rear. The C5 chassis is one of the stiffest in the industry (esp the Z06) w/ it's two hydroformed side-rails and "roll" bar/ roof hoop thing. Anyone have hard data on torsional rigidity? Someone said to jack up my car from behind the front wheel... I've dont that changing front brake rotors and YES the whole side of the car comes off the ground.

I really don't care if you agree with me I was just relating my story of racing my buddy.

Oh yeah and some of you all keep making the production numbers, cost, better drivabilty arguments.... maybe that's important to you to get attention so then good, you have the right car for getting laid =)

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only thing a Viper doesn better stock v. stock is accelerate =). 1/4 mile comes down to driving abilities and where is it ever shown that a GEN II Viper will out corner, slalom, or brake (GEN III braking Yes) a Z06?

Spoken like a true jealous troll.