Rb1 and Mopar Ipod Intergration

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a much better alternative to the monster ipod set up I have...mine doesn't really display the song information :( how much was the mopar one?

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm trying to order (and get installed) the RB1 from my local Dodge dealer but they claim there is no Sat Radio option / add-in available which is contrary to this and other threads.

Does anyone know the part # / sku for Chrysler Sat Radio module?

Thx C

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they dont make one for the viper....you can use any sirius tuner that works with an RB1 and modify the installation. basically each car has their own bracket and antenna. I chucked the bracket, used velco and tucked everything behind the dash. get a sirius kit for an 06 and make sure it has the smallest antenna possible.

if you are going to add ipod the sirius tuner plugs into the ipod box and than routes to the rb1. i have an abundance of wires tucked behind the dash and all works good.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only difference is a few more watts - I think 5 watts total. I think the RB1 has 72 and the stock has wattage in the high 60's.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I dont think there is not much difference in the output and final sound between the two.

The RB1 just belongs in the Viper - not the stock one. For an 80k car, it should have come with it from the factory.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are correct but you are not removing any amp. You are just removing the stock stereo and replacing it with the RB1. Plug and play. Both stereos are of similar power so you do not lose anything in the swap. You gain navigation and a much better looking unit. Also the RB1 can control an ipod and displays artist and song info.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
guys....

when you go through an amp it is the amp that provides the power, not the head unit.

the head unit's power is meeanignless.

That's why ILLSMOQ asked.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this work with the stock CD Radio in a 2006 or just the RB1?

I just purchased a Garmin GPS last week and would have went with the IPOD, RB1 combo since now you can listen to music and use the nav at the same time.

RedViperinMD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished my RB1/IPod install - SCHWEET!!!!! The only bummer is that the pigtail cable for the IPod integration unit is defective (you have to hold it in the IPod at just the right angle to get a connection) - should make for some tricky driving until the replacement cable arrives. ;-)

P.S. - it's so nice to have the NAV unit and the RB1 looks so good, it should have been the stock set-up.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. I am just awaiting the ipod intergration at this point. Was is tough to do? Where did you put the ipod box and lines?

RedViperinMD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The box for the IPod unit was a bear - I mounted it in the upper pass.-side corner of the dash, up under the glove compartment and ran the wire into the glove compartment. I had to modify the rear corner of the glove compartment with a Dremel to get the glove compartment door to open/close fully. I don't know how others have mounted that box - apparently you can buy an extension cable to run from the RB1 to the IPod box and then you could mount the IPod box in the rear portion of the center console. You should send a PM to zen garage to see where he mounted the IPod box.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this thread he mentioned he installed it in the glove box area also.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mounted the box behind the glovebox which was a little tight and ran the wire under the center console. I have a post somewhere with a few photos. I like the ipod in the center console as for it is easier to reach.
As a side note, does anyone know how to get the songs to display all the time, mine currently only display when the car is started.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I mounted the box behind the glovebox which was a little tight and ran the wire under the center console. I have a post somewhere with a few photos. I like the ipod in the center console as for it is easier to reach.
As a side note, does anyone know how to get the songs to display all the time, mine currently only display when the car is started.

common problem... no fix. It is the ipod, not the kit. The ipod's have very slow operating systems and are horrible for communications. keeping the titles as short as possible seems to help a little, but if you really need to know what is playing at the time, just click to AM/FM and then back to the iPod- it will all come up.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not that big of a deal not having the song display on the screen, afterall its my ipod so I should know whats in there. Now I just wsh they would come out with a kit for my charger or jeep

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question can anyone give me directions on how to take the glovbox off and mount the ipod box as Zen did in this pic?

Zen if you are around can you chime in?

8372ipod_002_Medium_.jpg

SPARTICUZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that picture was supposed to show the wire run underneath the center console.
8372ipod_001_Medium_-med.jpg

Hey Nader, did you find any install instructions or do you just have to figure it out for yourself???
I want to order one but need a bit of guidance as to how and where to install parts.

Leo

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed the install yesterday (both the Ipod adaptor and the RB1), it went pretty smoothly. I actually found a much better location further back under the footwell (passenger side) to mount the box for the Ipod adaptor. I can send pictures if needed. :cool:

-Justyn

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have pics i would really appreciate it. I am planning on installing tomorrow.

I will pm you my email address.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are talking about the ipod intergration kit, there are no instructions for it for a viper but it is pretty simple. The toughest part in locating and fastening the box that comes with the kit.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to installing this setup along with the RB1. First off i must say that the RB1 is a must have for the Viper. While it is a bit expensive I was able to purchase a new one in box for $730 which was a steal compared to what Dodge wants. It not only looks great, I think it sounds better as well. It is definitely easy to operate and the screen is really clear.

I would like to thank Zen Garage who talked me through the install prior to getting my hands dirty and gave me some tips that really helped.

Overall the install is pretty straight forward and took me about 4 ours total. The toughest part was hanging Ipod box and running the connector to the center console. I took the advice of Zen and put the ipod box exactly where he did in the picture above in the corner above the glove box. Once installed the glove box does need to be cut to close but it was simple. Roughly cut 1" off the back of the box. The ipod kit comes with velcro to hand it but to ensure it would move I also used two wire ties. As far a running the ipod line to the center console to connect the ipod, you do need to cut a bit of the centert dash plastic to fit the cord through. No big deal as I first drilled some holes then clipped the remaining pieces out.

At the same time I did the install i swapped out the stock upper and lower console with the custom black kit from Mopar. I absolutely love it. Anther east install you just need to be care with the little nuts that hold the parking brake boot on. I do have the MGW bezels for the gauges but love the way this one looks without them.

Here are some pics:

9384DSC04188-med.JPG

9384DSC04190-med.JPG

9384DSC04194-med.JPG

9384DSC04193-med.JPG

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work. Your car is so clean shiney and bright compared to mine. The only issue I am having is that the songs do not always display on the screen. Only when you start the car and switch back and forth between modes.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zen I havent had that problem at all. The songs come up fine so far. Works great!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang