Reading between the lines....

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Another Viper Is Probably Done In 09 Tid Bit!

why would dodge need to test a new engine? The new kicks major butt!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Gen 1 lasted '91 - 96
Gen 2 " '96 - '03
Gen 3 " '03 - 06

But someone figures the Gen 4 is only good for 1 Year????

I believe that this engine was the toughest and most expensive built so far. The emissions stuff required a completely new technology that was very expensive. Doesn't seem like a good time to quit does it?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that change is expensive. So the '08 Viper should be around for awhile. Even the Gen 3 lasted 4 years. Doesn't seem to be much for complaints about the 08 so I'm guessing it's here for a few years.

R & D money has already been spent. Why discontinue the rewards of all that money?

Ted

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with the statement that "the majority of Viper owners are not completely satisfied with the '03 -'08 styling". It's more like, the majority of Gen 2 Viper owners are not satisfied with it and I'm sure that some of that is due to a "sour grapes" mentality. Not to take anything away from the GTS but I and many others, like the Gen 3 styling just fine, particularly the new ACR.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with the statement that "the majority of Viper owners are not completely satisfied with the '03 -'08 styling". It's more like, the majority of Gen 2 Viper owners are not satisfied with it and I'm sure that some of that is due to a "sour grapes" mentality. Not to take anything away from the GTS but I and many others, like the Gen 3 styling just fine, particularly the new ACR.

Not to turn this into a styling thread but there are one or two very minor and affordable changes that could make a big difference.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Engine certifications ARE for 2 years. The next engine (whether it's a re-certification for this engine) will have to meet the more strict EPA standards. This engine is at the levels for the standards of the 2008 model year. Please don't read into this that I want the Viper production to end.....no way......but we also have to face the fact it could happen. The National Officers meetings in Phoenix this past week indicate that the viper will continue, however, with Cerebus no one knows for sure. Just thought I'd throw another thought into the mix. IF......you don't want the Viper to go away.....begin sending information to Chrysler the amount of money you spend on their products BECAUSE fo the Viper!!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It ain't over until it's over. Engine certification is not an issue, nor is profitability, etc. It is the lack of understanding/appreciation for the Viper by Cerberus that is the only real danger I have seen. Expect a more organized "education" to be put together by the VCA in the very, very near future. Nardelli is a numbers guy hired for his business acumen - not necessarily a car guy. Press seems to be a car guy to us, but also came from a "soft" brand in Toyota (no muscle). Wahl Meyer is a marketing **** but also from a soft brand (Lexus) and doesn't appear to be in tune with muscle car passion. The Viper program is most assuredly not dead yet (we caught up with some Chrysler execs at Barrett Jackson), but it may take some effort by Viper fans and owners to see that it continue into the future.

Stay tuned!

PS. We merged the various threads on this subject as we rally don't need 23 different "doom and gloom" threads on the Viper's future. "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they are yours."

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to turn this into a styling thread but there are one or two very minor and affordable changes that could make a big difference.

Yes, I agree completely. Just a few improvements could make the Gen2s look more like Gen3s :2tu:

:D

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't say I have info other than what's posted however as a 35+ year car nut I feel I have a decent finger on the pulse of the market both old & new .

What is discouraging about the 08 Viper is the (lack of) sales ebay wise.
Ebay is not the end all be all however every hot new model that has been offered above MSRP in recent years has found it's way on ebay like the 05 GT500 & the 06 Z06 Vette to name a few & buyers paid over MSRP in many cases.

I was lucky to buy my 06 Z06 @ MSRP in 2006 just by a strange fluke from a local dealer.

Just did a search on all 08 vipers SOLD on ebay in the past 30 days & guess what, zero sales. Out of 13 cars, a few had bids, none reached reserve No one did a buy it now.

That does not bode well for a hot new car. I think the same or worse will happen with the ZR1 Vette perhaps worse since lets face it , by & large & gussied up Caddie XLR motor. Heavier than the Z06 & not much quicker however it's only a small part of the vette offerings.

The conspirator in me thinks rumors of the viper demise are purposely planted by a few well meaning marketing folks in the hopes to spur sales which unfortunately doesn't seem to be working.

Don't exactly know why car currently isn't selling a bit better. Perhaps a convergence of events , economy , market , housing , jobs may play a part in it. Maybe the ******** guys like me already ordered theirs spec'd how they like & a few speculative dealers are getting first dibs since they ponied up the $ for inventory.

I can't see fuel prices being an issue for buyers of this car. Who owns this as a daily driver ?

I do like cerebrus's attitude about improving the current crop of cars quality , something DB apparently didn't give a bratwursts ass about.
Sorry to see the Magnum get killed off, I see the 08 SRT Magnum as a future keeper.

Here's hoping for more Vipers , more Power , & a Hemi SRT Challenger Convertible too :usa:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS. We merged the various threads on this subject as we rally don't need 23 different "doom and gloom" threads on the Viper's future. "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they are yours."

Good. I'm wondering what the gloom n doom posters are attempting to achieve anyway. I think they were the guys in school that were always the last ones picked for the team but now on the internet they can come across as the big man on campus with all the inside info.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ebay is not the end all be all however every hot new model that has been offered above MSRP in recent years has found it's way on ebay like the 05 GT500 & the 06 Z06 Vette to name a few & buyers paid over MSRP in many cases...

...Perhaps a convergence of events , economy , market , housing , jobs may play a part in it. Maybe the ******** guys like me already ordered theirs spec'd how they like & a few speculative dealers are getting first dibs since they ponied up the $ for inventory.

I can't see fuel prices being an issue for buyers of this car. Who owns this as a daily driver ?
:usa:

It's the economy ... unfortunately, 2006 was two years ago; this is 2008. Look at what is being said at the election exit polls in the primaries ... economic worries.

I personally think it's all overdone. I don't see the big 'ripple effect,' and I don't work in the financial industry. No big worries here. On the other hand, my neighbor owned his own mortgage company, and used to have a Viper, a Vette and a giant Ski Boat in his driveway ... now there is nothing in his driveway.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K5SRT

Shoulda read-

We merged the various threads on this subject and deleted many posts with sensitive information, as we really don't need 23 different "doom and gloom" threads on the Viper's future. "

PBR

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K5SRT

Shoulda read-

We merged the various threads on this subject and deleted many posts with sensitive information, as we really don't need 23 different "doom and gloom" threads on the Viper's future. "

PBR
Ah, but that would be incorrect my fine young cannibal. We deleted NO posts and only edited a couple that had some e-mail addies in them (addresses went bye bye). Oh, and did I mention that the first e-mail to arrive on the 15th floor of Chrysler HQ was from the state of Washington? :D

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Confucious says, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open mouth and remove all doubt."

It's my understanding the 2008 Vipers are selling very well now. You guys need to keep in mind that muscle cars like Viper sell better in the spring and summer..... and there are a few things going on right now like, it's an election year, the country is in a recession, some mortgage companies have gone BK, the housing business isn't the greatest, etc., etc.

Let's see how well the 2008 Viper sells after the "selling" season before judging it's market acceptance.

Dan :usa:

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Oh, and did I mention that the first e-mail to arrive on the 15th floor of Chrysler HQ was from the state of Washington? "

Chris-
I figured why wait, and between SRT Engineering responses wrote and sent my letter before the chat was over.

What is the VCA's target date for announcing the collective response to the exec's from the Viper owners that you had talked about?

PBR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21