Reading between the lines....

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The axe is coming

4 things killed off performance cars in the early 70's...recession, high fuel prices, high insurance cost, and introduction of unleaded fuels. Today we have a very diificult economy that may well get worse and high fuel cost. There just may not be enough people out there who can afford to spend $100,000 on a toy. Corvette is planning on building 2000 ZR-1's a year for several years at $125,000 a pop? good luck; it isn't that people don't want the cars, they just can't afford them. Resale values are telling you all you need to know; SL-65 sells new for $175,000, the bid after 2 years perhaps $100,000. 02 911 Turbo's for $65,000 that cost $130,000 new. If you have money to burn then the depreciation is not a concern, but if if it is a concern, then the poor re-sale market hurts new car sales.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Notice a pic of the zr1 on same page
IL Insider: Chrysler Moves Up Timetable for Redesign of Sebring/Avenger

sorry but i noticed after posting that this is already posted in another forum

I have faith that our current VCA officers are monitoring this situation closely and will report if and when a threat to future Viper production occurs. I think it would be wise for the VCA to have a plan that could be rapidly implemented such as petitions, letter writing campaigns as well as direct talks with Chrysler management in case this becomes a reality.

Please count me in to help in any way I can.

/Rich

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What worries me is the Viper gets canned just because its seen by some green people as being a gas guzzling dinasour and therefore politically incorrect.

Its got to come, in Europe the minority always bag on about there 'Rights' and seem to get everything they wish, the majority......get the cheque !!!!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Letter to corporate???... that's funny... don't think for a minute they listen to anything thats not green. When it's over it's over.

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Letter to corporate???... that's funny... don't think for a minute they listen to anything thats not green. When it's over it's over.
And he's loyal:
2002 Lemans Blue/Lemans Blue BMW M5
2004 Chili Red John Cooper Works MINI Cooper S
2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl Honda Odyssey Touring
2006 Viper GTS Blue Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible
That should help!!

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What worries me is the Viper gets canned just because its seen by some green people as being a gas guzzling dinasour and therefore politically incorrect.

What is ironic is that at 13/22mpg (17.5 combined), the 2008 Viper has a better mpg rating than almost every current 2008 Full-Size Truck, SUV, and Van: Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Honda included.

Per fueleconomy.gov
Gas Mileage of 2008 Standard Pickup Trucks
Gas Mileage of 2008 Vans, Passenger Type
Gas Mileage of 2008 Sport Utility Vehicle

Now, compare the impact of 2,000 Vipers per year -vs- All the Full-Size Truck, SUV, and Van sales COMBINED... Minimal! :dunno:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldn't be so sure. Dodge doesn't want to piss off its customers just like any other company. And at least it's an idea, at least he is thinking of something that might keep this from happening.

It's just a rummor now but it is starting to get momentum. It is being reported my many automotive sources and IMO it cannot be ignored.

Without Dodge making the Viper it's going to affect all of us, our club, and our ability to enjoy our cars. The question is do you want to look back and say at least I tried to do SOMETHING to keep this from happening or did you want to look back and say I did NOTHING.

I am going to e-mail them:

Contact Dodge

It will probably do nothing, hell it might just be a rummor, but it's better than sitting on my A$$.

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let the Viper Era come to an end and watch the value of your car increase in just a couple years. Then with the money you make from selling your Viper, you can get a 201X sports car with all the great technology that will become available. Pretty soon, every sports car will have a 4 ****** turbo diesel with AWD and an electric motor and giant batteries. Everyone with a sports car will be getting 60+ MPG and running 11's bone stock and have a drive range of over 1000 miles between fills. Seriously, if you think about it, this is where we are heading in terms of going green. All the big motors getting less than 15 MPG will probably get scrapped soon with our towering 8.X Liter motors going first. I love my Viper and it would be incredibly hard to part with. We are entering an era of alternate fuels and this market segment is going to open more broadly as the years go by. The monopoly and price gouging on our current fuels will only continue getting worse as times goes on. You guys ready for $4.00+ a gallon for regualar unleaded this summer? LOL

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its got to come, in Europe the minority always bag on about there 'Rights' and seem to get everything they wish, the majority......get the cheque !!!!

U.S. same thing is happening..makes me sick!!

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: More axed rummors for the Viper

I've been saying on here that the new owners only care about the bottom line, not who holds the latest hp war crown. Which would they sell more of and make more profits on in today's economy, the Viper or the Sebring?

I already have my Viper and my Sebring, so I'm sort of split on my loyalty on this. Both are fun cars to drive for different reasons.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In latest Car and Driver they noted that driving the 0-200-0 shootout that the twin turbo, 1000hp Viper got 20 mpg on their street driving segment.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The era comes to an end because of LOW SALES, not gas guzzler issues. If they sell out the 08's quickly then I think that they will keep them coming.

I bet the last few years have really soured the bean counters on Viper, and if it doesn't turn around they will take action.

Petitions? You are kidding right? This is all about supply and demand.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well here is my 2 cents worth. The Viper is my first Dodge and it's the most fun to drive, by far, than any other car I have ever had. I'll keep it forever. I like the looks and specs of some of the other offerings from Chrylser too. I think they are unique and offer a lot more for the money than all of the other cookie cutter bland cars out there from other brands. But if they axe the Viper they can kiss my rosy red asp if they think I'll buy another car from Chrysler. If all they care about is the bottom line then I am done. I am tired of all the money grubbing bast**ds that are ruining our country. I'll buy something that is made by people with passion or I won't buy at all!

What's happened to this country????

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Read awhile back that the Sebring is the #1 requested rental convertible. Personally, not fond of Sebring...and liked the OLDER version of Avenger's styling...I used to call it the 'poor person's Corvette' LOL. Let's just hope that the VIPER stays in its niche market that it belongs in. ~juli

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the Viper was dropped....what do you all think that would do to the values of the viper down the road?

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What other car causes so much interest and desire when you see one? Well to me no other car except the Viper. What car did I want from the first moment I saw one? A Viper of course. I actually get sick at my stomach when I think about the idea of Vipers not being built anymore. I bought my car and took it to the track and have never looked back. No other car makes you feel so alive and at the same time gives you such a feeling of confidence to know that your car would drive you home when you were through driving.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While it will add to the value of ours if they stop making it, I would still be sad to see the end. I think if they do stop, I will have ot pack mine away and buy a Z06 to beat up on.
:rolaugh:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well petitions aren't a bad idea. Written to voice our concern for the love and devotion we have for our cars is something that businesses want and need to hear. As a business owner I would love to hear about something that I might be thinking of discontinuing. It would let me know that I was about to make a mistake and that the product I was making had a loyal following. According to what we have read, every Viper made has pretty much made a profit for Dodge. These profits are not only from sells but also from the effect of a "Halo" vehicle. How much money can you attribute to the "Halo" effect is difficult to figure out but one thing you can say is that no other car can you associate to Dodge than the Viper. If anything, you can blame the demise on Dodge for not advertising enough. They should have never dropped their American participation in high visibility racing such as ALMS. It is hard to associate and stir feelings when you don't see the car racing.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the 05/06 Ford GTs were a MUCH smaller run then our vipers, and about the best they did was hold thier value better then the vette and viper. I just dont see the Vipers gaining much in any type of shut down, other then holding values better, and maybe allowing the dealerships to sell the remaining cars at sticker, instead of the current discounts they are having to give to sell them.

Jon

Ps. I still dont believe the Viper line is dead yet, I think we need to see what happens. Too much was already spent on development to throw it away on just 1 years run.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nah, I don't think Chrysler is that stupid. The Viper is a niche product and they don't exactly have anything close to filling that void.
The way I look at it you need a car to compete in each niche.
At the top you have the Viper which is the Halo car and is the sports car.
Challenger and Charger fill the pony Car demand
Jeep is the SUV of choice for Chrysler
Throw about 5 different size domestic Cars out there and 5 different kinds of pickup trucks and you got a solid product line.

Sure it is all about the bottom line, but you have to make something people want. If they can't sell 1000 Vipers a year at 100k each then decrease the supply so the demand goes up. It would be both foolish and Sad to drop the Viper from their product line. Espeacially since they just invested a whole lot in the 2008.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's the end of the modern muscle era. Only this time it won't be unleaded fuel or insurance rates as the killer. The automotive manufactures now produce 500 and 600 horsepower cars running on unleaded, isn't technology wonderful. Insurance rates are somewhat reasonable for these cars. Now it all boils down to miles per gallon and the Feds again. Can they make a 500/600 hp car that can get 35 mpg. Not Now But........My 02 is that the Viper may take an exodus for awhile only for the reason of mpg. Who knows maybe there is a Hemi powered Viper in the future. YUCK! Chrysler needs to get things straight and start showing a turn around in assets and unfortunately I can't see a Viper adding to that change.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hope it doesn't get the ax, instead to save money chrysler should ax the patriot and compass because they don't sell at all. I hope they keep the viper

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's all good. We already have ours..So if it takes a Hiatus for a few years ( and trust me it will come back eventually..weather it's two years or five years)Then the value of our current Vipers willhold steady or rise...

Look at the Supra..A 35-40K car that no one wanted what so ever and they stopped making..Now a 1998 Supra that no one wanted back then will cost you 35 grand for a stocker...Simply because they stopped making them..

Look at the Fbody SS camaro...In 2002 you could pick up an SS camaro for 10-15 grand..No one wanted them..Even the 45K plus C5 vettes were being sold more than Fbody's...

Try and buy an SS camaro now...6 years later and your still gonna pay 10-15 grand..

The Viper is as rare as the Supra only it's a low rate bottom of the barral exotic and happens to have 400-600 HP...

They stop makin emm and watch the prices soar

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of the $400,000 super muscle cars at Barrett Jackson were almost being given away in the late 70's and early 80's. If the Viper does stop production just sit back and enjoy your car. Your kids will put your grandchildren through college with it, be happy, don't worry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi