Reading between the lines....

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The axe is coming

Does ANYONE really think that Dodge would tell us if they were going to discontinue the Viper?:rolleyes:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: More axed rummors for the Viper

Dan Quayle sits on the Board of Directors. Would do you expect?

"Would" do I expect? I expect "potatoes" to be spelled correctly and correct words to be used in sentences. "Wouldn't" you agree? :smirk:

Our former VP is not as dumb as the liberal media paints him out to be. Anyone that gets followed around all day and has every misspeak or sip of the tongue recorded can amass enough to fill a book or two.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I was 5 yrs old a bunch of people in a cult committed suicide b/c the world was supposed to end that Sunday.

hmmm....I am 42 now. The world is still here.

No one today remembers anything about that cult b/c like all rumors...they only hold the value we give to them.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper does get people in to the showrooms to look at the other products, HOWEVER, let's be honest on purchasing the other product offerings from Dodge. Without the SRT line, most of us would not buy another Dodge/Chrysler product. As far as the Dodge trucks, if it was not for the small run of SRT10s or if the Ram did not have a Cummins Turbo Diesel, we would probably not be looking at them either.

Having been born into the Blue Oval Ford world, having only blue blood flow through my veins all my early years and having been down the road with Ford SVT in the past and buying into the BRAND multiple times, when Ford started screwing around with the SVT formula, you bet your a$$ I jumped ship. I thought, they have the gall to not build me and sell me a new Ford Lightning, the he!! with yah; new GMC SS 1/2 ton for me at the time. Once Ford killed SVT, I jumped from the brand and vowed to never return. If they return SVT/SVO or some other variant, than maybe, but I am very, very leery.

I felt cheated and I was upset at the lack of performance except for the Ford GT, which I could not afford. Ford then started to play around with the Shelby partnership, but I did not like the car at all and it officially killed SVT, I always wanted a Viper so I bought a new 06' Coupe in late 2006 (mainly because of rumors that it was going to die. My last chance to buy a new one before they are gone, so I took the plunge (and my wife supported that train of thought, man I love her!).

Now I loved SVT so much that within a month the SS truck was gone and a new Jeep SRT-8 in it's place. If I like something, I am very brand loyal as I suspect others are.

My point is that if they start screwing around with SRT, then I will be jumping ship again. Do I want to? Absolutely not, but what are we to do, have a one sided relationship? The Dodge Viper is a major part of SRT.

However, I am very happy with my wife's truck too which is a Cayenne Turbo, thus if no more Vipers, then I will probably buy a 911 for my next vehicle. I have been very happy with Porsche and the quality and engineering. I have a very hard time holding on to a vehicle for longer than 8 years. I just get bored after a while and 8 years is pretty good.

Now I have kept on to my 69' Mach 1 for over 20 years and my 95 Saleen S351R "BASF" Speedster for over 9 years, mainly because it was a one off SEMA show car for BASF/Ford/Saleen/Dunlop tires. It could never be duplicated or replaced. However if Chysler does come through on the new Challenger/Cuda with 6.6 Hemi SRT-8 variant, 6-speed manual, shaker hood and convertible, maybe in Snake Skin Green or something, then the 69' Mach 1 might have to go after all these years. I just simply will not be able to hold back.

It is this uncontrollable urge that Dodge needs to understand, starts with the Viper and the SRT Line. The willingness to give up a ******** to get that ****** fix from a certain vehilce in your possession. Car Crazy as Barry Mequire would say. I am sorry but no Viper and the SRT-8 line will die fairly quickly. Most of the big break throughs on technology come from the halo car and the engineering involved. No Viper halo and the performance division will be dismantled over time. No Viper and SRT WILL die too.

Sorry but I am gun shy. The past Ford SVO/SVT experience has me leery that once the friggin' accountants get in there, they will just kill he performance divisions becuase they are not the profits makers, buy in large.

As far as the continued Viper, I can not do anything about it so it will be what it will be. I bought a new Viper Coupe in 06' to do my part to try to save it. My money's going in the bank for the new Cuda convertible as I explained.

The future is going to look different because I can see a world where there is an American company, an Eastern company and a German company. That is going to be the "new" Big Three. Two I would buy and one I would not. You guess?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Chrysler understands that 70% of Viper owners are Company owners or professionals that have a very strong say in other automotive purchases. There is not a company out there, in my estimation, that would not take that type of information to heart and understand that the 1500 or so Vipers they build each year , have an impact well beyond the sales numbers.

In 1992 the Viper emerged and the automotive World heralded it as proof that Chrysler was back and was on a roll. My feeling is that Press and Nardelli are astute businessmen who fully understand that America runs on perception ( from Stocks to politics to the automotive world ) and the demise of the Viper would signal to the masses the demise of Chrysler.

Most of our Viper customers have even stated that if the Viper is discontinued they will cease to purchase Chrysler products. When a company President , etc. decides to stop using a product , the trickle down effect among employees, friends, etc. can cause this ripple effect to domino well beyond the few hand built Vipers we see every year ---- this is an example where perception evolves into reality.

Why worry about the fuel mileage of the Viper, as Chrysler is in the driver's seat with the few cars they build, yet folks want to put them in the same category of the Vette and their 40,000 vehicles per year. The Viper is a non-entity in the Corporate Fuel Economy ratings , whereas the Vette could be alot more of an Albatross around GM's neck. Seems Chrysler is not only way up in this situation over it's competitors, it is not even cause for concern.

With Nissan coming out with the GTR , Toyota contemplating a new Supra, etc. the Viper is ahead of the game and at a fraction of the cost that these vehicles will cost to their Corporate Coffers for the image they desire ...............and that is something we already have, a Iconic image of unique power!

The Sebring issue is quite simple, it's styling is in line with the Germanic errors of the Crossfire ,and it's look has been battered by the press. Chrysler , like all companies , take chances on design , and this vehicle just doesn't work. They are viewing a redesign as sales are slow and behind numbers of the past.This seems somewhat humorous, as I am confident the rumor of the Viper's demise and the changes for the Sebring are not even related................I don't have a raft of folks clamoring to buy a Sebring instead of a Viper and I was actually proud that after two years I sold a Sebring to an elderly lady about a month ago ( my one and only sale in 2 years of the new body style ).

Demographics don't show Viper buyers and Sebring buyers to be on the same Planet , and one wonders if they even could share a parallel Universe, ha!

I do think a poll, or sending in support by the boatloads could be beneficial for Chrysler, as I do firmly believe the fallout from discontinuing the Car the defines the look of the entire Dodge product line, would be catastrophic to the Manufacturer.

Respectfully submitted,
Bill Pemberton:2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

............... the demise of the Viper would signal to the masses the demise of Chrysler.

Well said Bill P.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chrysler understands that 70% of Viper owners are Company owners or professionals that have a very strong say in other automotive purchases. There is not a company out there, in my estimation, that would not take that type of information to heart and understand that the 1500 or so Vipers they build each year , have an impact well beyond the sales numbers.

In 1992 the Viper emerged and the automotive World heralded it as proof that Chrysler was back and was on a roll. My feeling is that Press and Nardelli are astute businessmen who fully understand that America runs on perception ( from Stocks to politics to the automotive world ) and the demise of the Viper would signal to the masses the demise of Chrysler.

Most of our Viper customers have even stated that if the Viper is discontinued they will cease to purchase Chrysler products. When a company President , etc. decides to stop using a product , the trickle down effect among employees, friends, etc. can cause this ripple effect to domino well beyond the few hand built Vipers we see every year ---- this is an example where perception evolves into reality.

Why worry about the fuel mileage of the Viper, as Chrysler is in the driver's seat with the few cars they build, yet folks want to put them in the same category of the Vette and their 40,000 vehicles per year. The Viper is a non-entity in the Corporate Fuel Economy ratings , whereas the Vette could be alot more of an Albatross around GM's neck. Seems Chrysler is not only way up in this situation over it's competitors, it is not even cause for concern.

With Nissan coming out with the GTR , Toyota contemplating a new Supra, etc. the Viper is ahead of the game and at a fraction of the cost that these vehicles will cost to their Corporate Coffers for the image they desire ...............and that is something we already have, a Iconic image of unique power!

The Sebring issue is quite simple, it's styling is in line with the Germanic errors of the Crossfire ,and it's look has been battered by the press. Chrysler , like all companies , take chances on design , and this vehicle just doesn't work. They are viewing a redesign as sales are slow and behind numbers of the past.This seems somewhat humorous, as I am confident the rumor of the Viper's demise and the changes for the Sebring are not even related................I don't have a raft of folks clamoring to buy a Sebring instead of a Viper and I was actually proud that after two years I sold a Sebring to an elderly lady about a month ago ( my one and only sale in 2 years of the new body style ).

Demographics don't show Viper buyers and Sebring buyers to be on the same Planet , and one wonders if they even could share a parallel Universe, ha!

I do think a poll, or sending in support by the boatloads could be beneficial for Chrysler, as I do firmly believe the fallout from discontinuing the Car the defines the look of the entire Dodge product line, would be catastrophic to the Manufacturer.

Respectfully submitted,
Bill Pemberton:2tu:
Bill,
I agree with everything you said, except about Nardelli being an astute business man. He wasn't give the top job at GE for a reason, and was kicked out of Home Depot for running it into the ground. However, he is very savvy at negotiating his pay packages. I have met him twice at conferences and was never impressed.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A blind man walks into a men's shop with his seeing eye dog. He grabs his dog by the tail and swings him around 360 degrees above his head. A salesman comes up and asks: "Can I help you?" The man says: "No thank you. I'm just looking around." Most of the posts on this subject seem like similar behavior. JM2C.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

4 things killed off performance cars in the early 70's...recession, high fuel prices, high insurance cost, and introduction of unleaded fuels. Today we have a very diificult economy that may well get worse and high fuel cost. There just may not be enough people out there who can afford to spend $100,000 on a toy. Corvette is planning on building 2000 ZR-1's a year for several years at $125,000 a pop? good luck; it isn't that people don't want the cars, they just can't afford them. Resale values are telling you all you need to know; SL-65 sells new for $175,000, the bid after 2 years perhaps $100,000. 02 911 Turbo's for $65,000 that cost $130,000 new. If you have money to burn then the depreciation is not a concern, but if if it is a concern, then the poor re-sale market hurts new car sales.

In 1 month Dodge will introduce the new Challenger...over 6000 pre-orders for the car placed on the 1st week! Death of performance cars?

Challenger revs up 6,000 orders -- so far

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't understand why one wouldn't buy another Chrysler product all because the Viper disappears; one has nothing to do with the other. I buy a car based on its own merits.

Are you expecting people to just operate on logic? Don't forget, people operate on emotion, out of spite, to get even/revenge, etc. quite often ;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Think this brand loyality thing is very real.

Never had a Mopar product before Viper. After I got my first Viper, I spent some time at the dealership meeting the sales people, service writer and a personal introduction to their ViperTech. Seemed like a really good group of people, and I began buying all my personal cars and company fleet vehicles from them.

Have not been into a GM or Ford dealership for years, as Dodge seems to have just about every vehicle that I need, and their value is good.

Meeting all the Corporate people at various VOIs has given me huge confidence in my purchasing decisions.

My daily driver is now a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi. Fantastic vehicle. Most versitile vehicle I have ever owned.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't understand why one wouldn't buy another Chrysler product all because the Viper disappears; one has nothing to do with the other. I buy a car based on its own merits. I would have bought the SRT8 300 if I didn't have the Viper.

Here's how it works in my case. I bought a Viper from my dealer, got what I wanted, got a great price. The Viper was a big sale for him and a big purchase for me. The manager also owns a Viper, and we hit it off. So then I bought a Durango from that dealer, but still all we talk about is the Viper. Then I bought a Jeep Commander from that dealer. I've even bought a used car from that dealer -- he's become my go-to guy, and now I have an '08 Viper on-order. The Viper was at the center of my relationship with the dealer.

I take the Viper to a different Dodge dealer for service, because it's closer. But here's the thing: the Viper is my baby. The Viper goes to the dealer for every little service you can think of. I've had the dealer install Mopar add-ons to the Viper. I'm in the dealer's service and parts department a lot for the Viper. The service manager's card is in my wallet. The Durango, on the otherhand, gets driven into the ground -- but serviced at the dealer only when it absolutely has to go.

So the Viper has fostered my relationship with not one, but two dealers.

Here's a suggestion for Dodge: Wanna save money? Drop your NASCAR program (just keep the truck series). Nobody will miss Dodge there -- you're not a factor now. That saves BIG bucks. Take just 'some' of that money, and get the Viper front and center in racing again. Take a little more (still plenty saved), and get the upcoming Challenger in racing. Then you'll be getting somewhere.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Umm...I own one of each - a 99 Viper RT/10 and an 07 Sebring Limited.

I get thrills when I drive each one for different reasons. The Viper has more muscle than any Sebring will ever have and the Sebring has more gadgets and toys than would ever fit in a Viper - I call it my playground on wheels.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its all very interesting and to some extent I do agree with Bill but with nations fighting over who can be the greenest and big business also wanting to be seen to be green I would not guarantee the Viper will continue. Future car buyers may be made to feel guilty by advertising and clever marketing for driving non hybrids or gas guzzlers.

And why would any company feel content with putting R & D into models that may be seen as politically incorrect and planet killers, I don't think so.

10 million people rushing to by a alternate fuel hybrid earns so much more cash and thats what its about cash than a handfull of Viper.

At present my daily drive is an Audi RS4, rumour has it after the Le Mans wins the next RS4 will be a diesel.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the viper its not just a Halo car its a very competitive machine ! Everyone i know who owns a Ferrari or a lambo,Porsche wants to try/buy a Viper.

DC at the past ignored the viper ! how many viper ads you witnessed ? viper fans complained about viper poor appearance n car shows..etc

Dropping “King Of The Hell” grown easy VERY easy ! the Z was coming strong with the HP and im sure DC knew about it even before us and the media yet they ignored it.

GM came up with the ZR1 Nissan the GTR, Porsche The GT2, Ford the GT500..etc and marketing them not for local market but for the world ! And they want to kill the Viper!

Viper with all the poor marketing and no real international sales kept on going !

Sadly many of us thinking “brand loyalty” and honestly it seems

$$$$ loyalty

Lowest costs and more sales = more $$$ Who cars about the Viper

Hope its all rumors the 08 viper the ACR is to good to be true

Im using my mobile lol

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At the end of the current model's 6 year cycle in 2009MY it's done.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rumors are just that.

Someone string up this guy! jk

I guess Mercedes and Lambos and the like will be extinct too with their V12's then. It's all too early to tell, let's keep out fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Just kidding about the electric Viper ( too funny) Just finished installing a new XMetal TB even faster now. I have been a dodge fan since 68 roadrunner, charger,Ram, Viper. I don't want to look elsewhere. Its all about money like I mentioned before. corporate only cares about money. The new EPA laws come into effect in 09 so that will play into this whole gambit . Not sure if Europe plans to make changes but, who cares about them anyway. Weak dollar makes those cars to pricy. Turbo everything.

Cindi Lux

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's a suggestion for Dodge: Wanna save money? Drop your NASCAR program (just keep the truck series). Nobody will miss Dodge there -- you're not a factor now. That saves BIG bucks. Take just 'some' of that money, and get the Viper front and center in racing again. Take a little more (still plenty saved), and get the upcoming Challenger in racing. Then you'll be getting somewhere.

We have been trying to suggest this message to Dodge, specifically the SRT group who oversees the $$ for ALL racing, for some time but with no luck. Your idea is great.

But if it starts coming from consumers who support the Dodge brand, that might carry more weight.

Never know.... :dunno:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Truer words have never been spoken.... It's time for the masses to raise our voices as one.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You **** Paul. You really own #52?

How do you make a really f-ing jealous smiley face?

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes # 52 is snoring away in the garage Bugeater, would love to get a jealous smiley face.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In 1 month Dodge will introduce the new Challenger...over 6000 pre-orders for the car placed on the 1st week! Death of performance cars?

Challenger revs up 6,000 orders -- so far

The Challenger is ill-timed at best, as the current design Mustang GT has been selling over 75000 units (yes, that # does NOT include the V6 model). Even the Shelby GT500's total production for 2007 comes to 10,844 units, and that was for a
$50K Mustang that Ford makes a killing on because the basic car is still a Mustang.

6000+ units will never do anything for the bottom line, and will only fall as gas prices creep up. Hell, even 10000 units won't make any $$ for anyone except the dealers. Let's not even mention the new CAFE of 35mpg. For 2008, Ford is scaling back V8Mustang production plans as the % of V6 Mustang sales increase. The new Camaro is in the same (sinking) boat. Only the ******** Mopar and Chevy guys will buy them initially, then what?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

One............

The numbers for the new Challenger are unfortunately not correct, as they only plan to build 4500 in 2008, all in SRT8 trim, automatics only , and only for 3 months.

Two....

The idea that 6,000 are presold is not correct , as Dealers can not order anything but 2008s ( most Dealers are limited to one order ) , but the number we have heard for regular build is 60,000+. So give the guy a break, he was just off with one zero.

Three.....

We had deposits for over 50 Challengers a year ago and just stopped taking money then, as it became apparent that the first year ( reduced to a paltry 3 months ) would not produce enough of these machines for demand. With a six speed in 2009 ( starting in June of this year ) and other engine options, I personally think the 60,000 number will be achieved and blown by - in my humble opinion.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I will proudly admit that my Viper totally changed my perspective of Chrysler/DODGE. After seeing how well the Viper performs, I am a total DODGE/Chrysler convert. I plan on adding a new Ram Truck or else a new JGC SRT-8. I have never seen a company that paid so much attention to it's customers especially with the SRT Engineers holding their online chats with us. Does Chevrolet do anything similar for it's owners? NO! After getting my Viper I was completely converted. I currently own two Vettes in addition to my Viper and I am constantly telling my friends that I will never buy another Corvette after driving the Viper. I then proceed to tell them how Dodge gives all of this support as well as being very helpful versus giving you crap when you take your car in for service. Now hearing that they may stop making this icon of a car, I feel let down knowing that if I want an American made sports car I only have one other choice and knowing that that choice is what I was wanting to get away from. The only thing I want to do now is sell the 2 corvettes I have and buy something that actually is dependable and by that I mean another Viper.

Let me just say that growing up all I ever wanted was a Corvette and then when I really grew up I bought a Viper. From the very 1st moment I saw one I wanted one. I would dream of the day that I would actually get one and then one day while looking to buy a new Z06 I decided to look at Vipers. Well, the rest is all history and from that day I have been a true Dodge Die hard. Now I feel like I am being deserted. What other car makes grown men feel like young boys and makes them smile from ear to ear? What other car causes voyeuristic accidents wherever it goes because of all the people straining their necks to get a better look of the car? None other than the car that screams "Get out of my way, I am coming thru!". And the car I am talking about is our very own Dodge Viper. Chrysler, think before you commit brand genocide. As others have stated, get back into the race and actually produce the cars that people like and want. You, Chrysler, dropped the ball with the Firepower, the planned Charger R/T concept, and most likely others. Now you are going to drop the biggest ball of all if you discontinue the Viper. And when I say get back in the race, I also mean to literally get back into racing that people can identify with such as ALMS and Lemans.

PS: Sorry for the rant.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Someone string up this guy! jk

I guess Mercedes and Lambos and the like will be extinct too with their V12's then. It's all too early to tell, let's keep out fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Mercedes had one don't want another. spent more time visiting it the dealers repair shop. As for the Lambo Can't afford one to be frank. No matter what happens to the Viper I will hold unto it till I am to old to drive. It's just way to much fun.
:headbang:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I interpreted the SRT response to the Vipers possible cancellation as "very possible". SRT provided us the email addresses for those responsible for keeping Viper alive and we should all email these guys, write these guys, call these guys, start a petition, hell, even pay these guys a visit in person like I plan to! We gotta do something, and we gotta do it now.

That is also probably why there will be no further response to the ZR1 outside of the ACR. The ACR may be a better track car, but will get smoked in the 1/4 mile and anything further. The ACR is even slower than the regular Viper in a drag race due to drag....

Well....as far as who has the quickest/fastest sports car....here we go again.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it does not sound positive for the Viper, that has been my feeling since the purchase.

Not going to argue about what's faster, I am a viper owner, viper fan, and have a new ACR coming my way so I am content.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yep, I took that response in the exact same way. Someone needs to make a sticky thread with either an add-name list, or an auto-mailer or something along those lines.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it does not sound positive for the Viper, that has been my feeling since the purchase.

Not going to argue about what's faster, I am a viper owner, viper fan, and have a new ACR coming my way so I am content.
I would be content too. I think the ACR is a monstrous car. But do not sleep on Chevy. I dont think the ZR1 will be simply a straightline car, it will make for good competition to the ACR. But I give the edge to the ACR.