Reading between the lines....

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the email addresses stay tuned. Your Officers are at the National Meeting right now. The Board agrees the emails are a great idea, we DID suddenly tumble to the fact that we had a potential to really have this work against us if we did not think it out for two reasons.
One, any time an email is posted on the internet like that robots scoop it up for spam, we were sure that would not make us popular. Secondly we were a little worried that some competing brand guys might think it humorous to email and represent themseves as Viper owners with nasty comments, if this is a survey, not good.
The thought an hour ago was to put them in the VCA Members Only Forum to shield them from the above. Maybe another idea will surface, when we meet again in a half hour.
But be assured everyone thought it was a good idea, we just want it implemented in a way that does not expose the emails to spam or planned pranking.
Stay tuned, more later. Please don't repost the emails for the above reasons. If you have them PM them to others in the interim before we arrive at a way to do it.

Last edited:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another Viper Is Probably Done In 09 Tid Bit!

Any new engines that are "introduced" must meet federal emissions standards. Once those engines are "signed off on", then they are good for a two year run. These engines are tested and researched for 2 years before they are introduced. The new engine will have next year (09) as it's LAST year of certification. There are no NEW engines that are being tested, or researched at Dodge. This may be another sign of the end of the Viper. Remember also, the initial car was to have an approximate 5 year run, and it's lasted 16 years!

There is one GOOD thing that will come about IF 09 is the last year of production. As-soon-as it's announced your car value will go up 20 or 30K!

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Another Viper Is Probably Done In 09 Tid Bit!

There is one GOOD thing that will come about IF 09 is the last year of production. As-soon-as it's announced your car value will go up 20 or 30K!

Merely propaganda! Not saying the production won't end, it will or won't, but if it does prices won't sky rocket 20 or 30k as soon as they announce it. They told us the same thing about buying a house, they said as soon as you close it will have appreciated significantly and continue to appreciate, seemed likely given the market at the time. Our house has gone down in value ever since and continues to decline........its nice to speculate what would happen, but don't take everything you hear for gospel. Anything can happen!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score

yea I agree, no way theyre going up 20 grand in value

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or did the VCA police come in and delete the email addresses that the SRT Engineers provided to us so that we can be heard. I reviewed the chat last night and could not find the email addresses.
Can someone please repost the three email addresses so we may email these gentlemen as the SRT Engineers recommended.

First off, it was not the "VCA police" that touched that post - look at the bottom and you will see it was the SRT Engineers that edited it. Rest assured that we NEVER edit what SRT posts unless they specifically ask us to do so. VCA police ain't here.

I suspect that the e-mail addresses were pulled for a couple reasons:
  1. Posting exec e-mails is generally frowned upon at Fortune 100 companies. I spent a decent amount of time trying to track down Meg Whitman's at eBay with no luck (another story for the blog).
  2. Herb retired, congress wants even stricter fuel economy regulations, and safety advocates are pushing their own agendas vigourously. Soon we will be driving giant pillows that get 85 MPG. As a Viper owner I am a wee bit nervous. As an SRT employee that lives and breathes muscle cars daily, I would be a lot more than that. And if I thought it could help I might even post something that I probably shouldn't - like executive e-mail addresses.
  3. I am not going to second guess them (despite the comment above), however I can tell you this for sure: Search engines will pick those e-mails out in a matter of hours. What could be a relatively quiet inbox could suddenly flood with ****** offers, dead uncles in Nigeria, etc. Not to mention 1,000,000 Corvette owners congratulating them on the possible execution of their biggest rival.
In conclusion, I will again point out that it was SRT that posted them and SRT that removed them. As such, the VCA will follow suit and remove any references to those same e-mails - even when quoted as replies from the execs. We were going to simply move that post to the VCA Members forum where the bots don't search but it had already been edited by SRT. Please try to understand their position, as I suspect they see the same rumors that we do with no real answers from above. Hopefully that will change soon, as it seems that Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, and numerous other car companies are still very focused on fueling the exotic car market.

And in my very humble opinon (backed by decades of successful sales/marketing experience)? Announcing the death of the Viper after Chevy gets the ZR-1 on the cover of every major auto rag says a lot: It's a lot easier to throw in the towel than field a contender. But nobody buys tickets to see a loser. When I see "Chevy ZR1 takes on Nissan GT-R" with no mention of the Viper, I will weep.

Oh,and Edmund's comment about the electric "Zeo" shown at this year's NAIAS in Detroit?

"The longer we wait for the Tesla roadster, the less feasible an all-electric performance car seems. At least we know someone will be looking out for Dodge's hyper-masculine image when CAFE standards toughen up."

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So what you're saying is that with no engines in the works they are going to cease all production at Chrysler? :lmao:

They must be able to continue the same engines or get re-certified, obviously. Right? :dunno:

What logic would there be to having to re-engineer the same engine over and over during a production run? There usually ARE changes made here and there, but based more on improvements to systems where faults are found or to make use of different parts suppliers, etc.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The sad part is that a 2000 unit car driven part-time, affects the EPA and oil consuption standards by . 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saved those e-mail addresses when they were posted, and sent a very respectful letter to the three. Two of them replied to me today with thanks.

PBR

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
regardless of any standards... you better believe the Government will find some way that you CAN own it............ if you pay them enough tax on it. :rolleyes:

Makes you think though... Holy Hell will the cars of NOW be worth big bucks in the near future if all these bean-counting, hypocritical tree-huggers get their way with another round of typical governmental band-aids that do NOTHING in reality besides squeeze the system just a little bit more.

Last edited:

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea if global warming is man made and as serious a threat as the politicians in Washington seem to think it is, but there perspective could radically change cars we know them and quickly.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WE NEED TO PLAN A RALLY TO VIPER HEADQUARTERS THIS DRIVING SEASON. ALL THE VIPER CLUBS SHOULD GET TOGETHER AND PLAN THE LARGEST VIPER CRUISE IN THE HISTORY OF VIPER and meet at Viper headquarters to stage an event w/ speakers expressing our views and loyalty for Viper and the Chrysler brand.
Most Viper owners are competitive and aggressive, we should channel that same energy to keeping Viper alive and start planning and organizing this event immediately....that means NOW.
Sign me up .... we'll be there!:2tu:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just like the clean air acts enacted on the Coal fired Power Plants. Most of the plants should have been closed by now but they are still operating due to continual relaxing of requirements.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ken, did you put a dollar in the "Another Viper Cancelled Thread" kitty? We almost have enough for a 08 ACR ********.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

ALL engines have one year certifications... ALL engines are re-certified in some manner each year, because the laws and regs change. There is no such thing as a "permanent" certificate.

Some years are bigger deals to certify than others based on the amount and types of new hardware...

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for those that sent me the email addresses. Someone also sent them out to individuals on our local Viper Club Website. I wrote my letters of concern. Maybe it would be possible for each area club to have some kind of cruise driving event on the same day around the country to show our support for the Viper. I am not sure if it would help but it couldn't hurt.

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. Not to mention 1,000,000 Corvette owners congratulating them on the possible execution of their biggest rival.

Boy you are soooo wrong about this. The majority of Vette owners, SPECIFICALLY Z06 owners (myself included) like the Vipers. I would be very disappointed if the Viper program is cancelled. I hope that turns out not to be the case. There's nothing to be gained from the Corvette perspective if the Viper is gone. I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost, just because I have a Z06 doesn't mean I diss other sports cars. There are some things I like about the Z06 that I don't about the Viper, and vice versa.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of Vette owners, SPECIFICALLY Z06 owners (myself included) like the Vipers. I would be very disappointed if the Viper program is cancelled.

Yes, even if Vette owners don't like the Viper, they would want it around to keep the Vette program going! Now that the Ford GT has been discontinued, there is no other American competitor other than the Viper.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i think if anything, the 08 engine will continue to be used but in a redesigned viper....
something smaller and lighter would be nice..:)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't believe that design work on Viper engines has ceased. There may not be the new models on the Dyno's right now, but I am sure the same people that enhanced this current engine are hard at work on the new generation.

With the engine we have right now, I would expect it to be used for years, until emissions or noise restrictions cause it to be massaged. They could easily upgrade to both intake and exhaust variable camshafts, or eliminate the throttle bodies with variable valve control such as BMW incorporates.

Lots of ways to make this engine even better.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also am sick to death of these death rumors. I vote that any more far fetched rumor starters just be:flush::banned:or :censored::nono:

Nobody really knows the future but Chrysler :eater:

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate you guys for pm'ing me the email addresses. Whether the death of Viper is rumor or real, we should still plan this rally. Lets contact our local club presidents and start organizing.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy you are soooo wrong about this. The majority of Vette owners, SPECIFICALLY Z06 owners (myself included) like the Vipers. I would be very disappointed if the Viper program is cancelled. I hope that turns out not to be the case. There's nothing to be gained from the Corvette perspective if the Viper is gone. I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost, just because I have a Z06 doesn't mean I diss other sports cars. There are some things I like about the Z06 that I don't about the Viper, and vice versa.

Well said.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea if global warming is man made and as serious a threat as the politicians in Washington seem to think it is, but there perspective could radically change cars we know them and quickly.

Change is coming but I wouldn't say "quickly". In fact, by the time stricter regulations are enforced there is liable to be a "Global Cooling Theory" fanaticism going on. And they will blame it on whatever it is we are doing at the time.

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked at the ZR-1 today. It also has an aero package with front splitter, rear spoiler (not a wing) and side skirts. I would not claim victory in the aero/ground effects just yet. And damn those brake rotors looked big.

the ZR1 still produces lift not downforce

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rally and drive is a great idea, BUT the only thing that is going to save the Viper is new orders and a back-log of orders for new cars. It's that simple. Car mags and rags, reviews, etc. mean absolutely nothing. It is orders for cars that is ALL that counts. Period!

All the passion and support in the world for the Viper line equals $0 to the new company if the latest car offerings are not purchased. I am sure their latest studies have determined that the majority of Viper owners are not totally satisfied wth the newer 03-08 styling and they will NOT put a bunch of money into major restyling when the economics of today do not work. Sure we MAY buy a new car in the future, but that is not a guarantee it will continue to be built and that we will actually buy that car when built.

Touch economic times call for tough economics. The new company can only do so much with their dollars and the only way to truly make money is with volume. That spells out touch times for sports cars.

The whole alternative fuel aspect is coming but for a sports car with very limited use, the emissions don't even add to the equation and I think it will still be a very long time before sports cars on alternative fuels and electricity are the norm. Telsa has a decade before making even a small impact. Same with the Fisker unvieled.

All I know is that if your Viper is low miles, un-molested and un-modified, I can definitely see a potential $20K jump from the present values. People always want what they can not have. If the carline is dead, they can not go back in time and buy a new one. A car as close to factory fresh and new is the next best thing.

Send e-mails, do the whole support thing but in the end, it means nothing unless you are buying a brand new car.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also am sick to death of these death rumors. I vote that any more far fetched rumor starters just be:flush::banned:or :censored::nono:

Nobody really knows the future but Chrysler :eater:

I say "'Throw em to the sharks!" :shark: