Rear bumper decal placement

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So I had a bit of a mishap a few weeks ago and messed up my bumper on my 04 and had to buy a replacement. However, when the replacement showed up I noticed something strange. The Dodge and Viper decals on my bumper are right below the clear turn signal lenses, but above where the bumper kicks out. The replacement bumper I got has the decals lower down on the larger portion of the bumper. It got my wondering, so I've paid attention and done some searching and it seems like most of the pictures and cars I've found have the decal down lower. Can anyone explain when the change happened and if the decals are physically any different? I want to order some new ones and put them back where they were on my old bumper, but didn't know if I needed to look for a year specific set or not.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I never noticed a difference in location from year to year for factory correct cars. Where you able to figure out a different location between years?

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen them anywhere else.
DSCN1606.JPG
[/IMG]

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like your car had them in the wrong space to begin with.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This just bugs me now. I swear I found some pictures earlier yesterday when my dad and I were looking on the internet for reference and now I can't come up with anything. Here's what mine looked like. To my knowledge the car had never been touched or changed, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Someone the other day was saying that 03's had the logo higher up for part of production, but mine is an 04. I kind of like them higher up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This just bugs me now. I swear I found some pictures earlier yesterday when my dad and I were looking on the internet for reference and now I can't come up with anything now. Here's what mine looked like. To my knowledge the car had never been touched or changed, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Someone the other day was saying that 03's had the logo higher up for part of production, but mine is an 04. I kind of like them higher up.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have never seen them there, most likely someone put them on in the wrong place. I actually used the color matfched Viper rear emblems on my sills instead of SRT 10 emblems, I like it better this way:D

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the decals in the higher position? Maybe it was just an 03 thing, but either way it makes my car an interesting conundrum. To my knowledge the car was pretty much unmodified aside from the exhaust system the previous owner put on and the stereo system that was put in the car before that. Didn't see any obvious evidence of an accident or repaint on the bumper or under it now that it's off. About the only explanation I could think of so far would be that one owner debadged the rear and another wanted them back on. Not sure why they would have put them there unless they had some other reference though.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at pictures on eBay of 2003 Vipers. That should be a good survey starting point. Although of the first few I looked at one was missing emblems, one was missing the Dodge emblem, one had different colored emblems none were located in the higher position. Could be that one owner just wanted to move or remove them, they are an easy change for any owner to make. Also could mean something worse like an accident, but not necessarily.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Maybe I have a super extra special limited factory mess up like a coin minted with two of the same side? :D Or more than likely someone just changed it, lol. Guess it wouldn't matter now that original bumper is kinda ruined anyway. I can always make up my mind where/if I want to put them on later anyway. On a different note, did any Vipers leave the factory with a "two tone" bumper? The replacement I got was white with a black lower vent section. Thought that might be a Mamba specific thing, but when I looked it up it seems like they were all white.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black lower section was used with striped cars and the body colored section was used on cars without stripes from the factory.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ah, good to know. One mystery answered at least. Thanks!

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They never came that high up either the bumper was painted and reput in the wrong spot or someone moved them because of preference(doubtful). The painted lower sections 2 tone to my knowledge came on coupes and the verts were 1 color.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I would guess bumper was repaired or repainted and the shop put them back in the wrong spot. I had my side sills repainted and the shop put the decals below the line instead of above. I made them fix it of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi