Rear differential at 13.6k miles?

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally found time to bring the car over to Snake Pit (110 Field Street West Babylon, NY) to have Mike look over the car so I can get a true Viper techs opinion about the differential and overall condition of the Viper. After discussing the situation, we agreed that there was nothing to lose by changing the fluid before going into surgery.

After changing the differential fluid and adding diff mod in the mix, I am happy to report that there is no longer any noise coming from the rear! :headbang:

As far as Thomas Classics, I think you guys already know how I feel about them. :mad:

Either way... I'm glad it worked out! Now the wait for warm weather begins!

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nick -

What the hell took you so long?? Besides myself and Jon, there were quite a few others screaming to do the fluid swap. We told you so!! Unfounded anxiety is never a pleasant thing. Glad you, and your snake, are feeling better!!
Happy Holidays neighbor....................:D

Scott

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally found time to bring the car over to Snake Pit (110 Field Street West Babylon, NY) to have Mike look over the car so I can get a true Viper techs opinion about the differential and overall condition of the Viper. After discussing the situation, we agreed that there was nothing to lose by changing the fluid before going into surgery.

After changing the differential fluid and adding diff mod in the mix, I am happy to report that there is no longer any noise coming from the rear! :headbang:

As far as Thomas Classics, I think you guys already know how I feel about them. :mad:

Either way... I'm glad it worked out! Now the wait for warm weather begins!
Well whenever I bought a Viper for myself, I brought the car straight to Chuck Tator and have him go thru the car and change all the fluids. I think you should not blame the Thomas Classics, they took a chance on your car unseen also.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any shop that recommends to customers high-dollar repairs-- without having any definitive knowledge of what is actually wrong-- is basically stealing. This has become so common among mechanics and home repair contractors that the obvious criminal intent just gets white-washed over. I had a Nissan dealership quote me $2100 for a replacement of six fuel injectors, when all that the car really had was a vacuum leak. All I had to do was say "OK" and sign the repair authorization and they would've had my money (for nothing).

Getting a second opinion is becoming a requirement on auto repairs if you don't want to get taken.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad from Thomas Classics finally contacted me. We talked about what was happening and in the event that the diff fluid does not take care of the situation what I could be faced with as far as repair costs for replacing/rebuilding the rear diff. Without hesitation, he let me know that he will not be participating in ANY repairs whatsoever! Following that, he began to go on about things that didn't check out on my old Viper such as a crack in one of the exhaust manifolds (which I had no idea about) and starting tallying everything up like we were keeping score on who's Viper was going to end up costing the most in repairs.

I could not believe the treatment that I was receiving as far as Thomas Classics taking any responsibility towards the rear diff. Chad gave me the option to come take my old Viper back, but another 20 hour drive (there and back) isn't worth it to me as of right now.
:crazy2:

I have been following this thread and thinking you were trashing Thomas Classics unjustly. I thought they went the extra mile when they offered to take the car back and undo the deal. Just like you didn't know your old Viper had a cracked exhaust manifold, they had no knowledge of rear end problems. It turns out, there are no problems other than a fluid change. I also followed your other thread where you were looking for Ohio members to check out this Viper for you. I live about 15 minutes from them and this is the reason I check out used cars only for myself before I buy them, and not for others. No offense intended, just my opinion.

Bill

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been following this thread and thinking you were trashing Thomas Classics unjustly. I thought they went the extra mile when they offered to take the car back and undo the deal. Just like you didn't know your old Viper had a cracked exhaust manifold, they had no knowledge of rear end problems. It turns out, there are no problems other than a fluid change. I also followed your other thread where you were looking for Ohio members to check out this Viper for you. I live about 15 minutes from them and this is the reason I check out used cars only for myself before I buy them, and not for others. No offense intended, just my opinion.

Bill

Everyone's entitled to one!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You need to call Unitrax if you considering changing the diff.

PLEASE, don't was your money having a Gen III diff rebuilt.

Dan

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, when you changed the fluid, did you and the mechanic check the old fluid to see if there were any metal shavings or pieces that came out and maybe inside of the case with a magnet?

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, when you changed the fluid, did you and the mechanic check the old fluid to see if there were any metal shavings or pieces that came out and maybe inside of the case with a magnet?

No metal shavings! Always good news.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187