Rear differential & transmission mount needs replacement

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I discovered a grinding/rattling noise coming from the underside of my 1994 RT/10 on Sunday night. The noise was noticeable in all gears, but was only present while moving. I had the car towed to Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth, MI (the local favortie among Viper owners). They just got back with me today, that their is a broken transmission mount, and that the rear differential is coming apart. According to them, the rear diff must be replaced, since the individual parts are not available separately. Here is the quote:

$3120 for diff
$333 labor
$136 parts/labor for the trans mount
_______
$3589 Sub-total
(359) 10% discount
$3230 Total

Does this seem right, or am I getting screwed? This is the first major service that I have had to perform on the vehicle since I purchased it in April '06. It seems like alot of $$$$$.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are getting screwed. a new diff (rebuild, used, or even brand new) costs less than that. My quaife cost less than 2k installed!

just replace the pumpkin w/ a used one and you'll be good. you can even use the diff from a gen2 (just use a different rear cover).

good luck!

JD

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red94--LISTEN to the expert here--Joseph Dell!!!! From what we've read of him, he's one of the best on these forums....just my .02. ~juli

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see diff's on eBay all the time for less than $1000. And get the upgraded tranny mount - billet piece. I think Dave's has that item. Someone else chime in on that if I'm wrong.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever price you get from a dealer is always going to be high. You can get the parts cheaply and have another specialty shop install it. There's a local rear end specialty shop called Reider racing http://reiderracing.com/. See if they have parts available. I believe the rear end is a super dana 60 similar to Corvettes.

G

grcforce327

I'd sell you my center section and half shafts out of my 94 with 20k miles since I bought a unitrax setup from Dell, but I won't have my car finish and back home for about 3 or so weeks!I do have a new tranny mount from the Wizard that you can have for $25 shipped!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red94--LISTEN to the expert here--Joseph Dell!!!! From what we've read of him, he's one of the best on these forums....just my .02. ~juli

OHHHHH, and of course the Viper Wizard!!!! (he hadn't chimed in at the time, but Joseph Dell did, which is why I sent the endorsement post....now that Chuck has chimed in, yes, yes, yes....listen to CHUCK!!!!!! Get your pm from him....he's the best we have here in the NE!! WE are lucky!!!).....~juli~
We are lucky to have these experts on our forums...Joseph Dell and Chuck Tator to name just 2.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960