Rear - Exit Exhaust Conversion

1QKSN8K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For any of you not completely satisfied with the sound from your sidepipe exhaust, I have converted my '04 Viper to a very simple out-the-back design. I loved the idea and look of the sidepipes, but to me the stock system sounded like a UPS truck, so I tried the Corsa Track system. Big improvement, but still not what I was looking for.

My basic idea was that a better overall sound would be produced if the pulses from all 10 cylinders were joined together and emitted at one place rather than two. The design consists of heat-wrapped 3" 304 S.S. with mandrel bends and a crossover connection forward of the differential. The crossover is critical for two reasons. First, it helps to premix the sound pulses before exit, more effectively than the stock crossover, and helps to equalize the pressure between the two sides, like the classic "H" pipe. Secondly, and I can't explain why, the noise level is dramatically reduced. So much in fact that I eliminated the mufflers! Just the stock cats, then 3" pipes all the way out the back. It bolts in easily, uses the stock hanger locations and weighs about 15 lbs. less than the stock system. The sound is more like that of a healthy V8 instead of the uneven V10. There is some resonance, but to my ear, it adds muscle to the sound and overall the improvement is huge. The car now has a sound that matches it's looks and horsepower. Feedback from those riding in the car and from those that have heard it pass by has been very positive. And, now it doesn't spit water at me when I get in or out of it and it's running!

I closed off the sidepipe holes in the sills with wire mesh similar to that used on the grilles of some high end cars. It looks great and allows a subsequent owner to easily convert back to sidepipes if desired.

If anyone is interested in having your local exaust shop duplicate this system, I can provide additional information, photos and even sound files.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure many (myself included) would like to see pictures and hear the sound files....video would be cool

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neat, got any pics?

But i'm curious why everyone thinks the V10 is uneven? Did you happen to not notice they have paired cylinder firing? So basically blending the L&R side is merging equal pulses. They DO NOT have offset firing like a V8 where blending gases will help scavenge the opposing tubes.

And why did you wrap the exhaust?

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has definately been a thought, but I am concerned with what to do with the side sills afterward.

If it doesn't look like OEM afterward I think it really takes away from the car.

Can you also post pics of what it looks like coming out the back?

Thanks

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to the startech website and pull the viper brochure. There are pics of a viper with the same mods as you mentioned. Not for me.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has definately been a thought, but I am concerned with what to do with the side sills afterward.

If it doesn't look like OEM afterward I think it really takes away from the car.

Can you also post pics of what it looks like coming out the back?

Thanks

It might bee cool if some "cut-outs" were used in front of the mufflers and then a second set of pipes were run straight out the sides ... for a wide-open race 'track' sound out the side, but then close them when you want the much quieter sound out the back ...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1QKSN8K Your post is really great. I have been thinking about making a system like your for awhile now but I am to busy, maybe come winter I will. I would love to see pictures of your system. I find it interesting that you also agree with me about heat wrapping the entire system. Did you also wrap the cats? What did you use for tips on your pipes? I have a friend here in town that makes mirror high polished tips for the GTS cars. I alo like the idea of your screens on the exhaust outlet holes as they will help carry the exhaust heat away from the side sills, Did you use s/s mesh ot black painted mesh?
Robbie

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
go to the startech website and pull the viper brochure. There are pics of a viper with the same mods as you mentioned. Not for me.

I think the startech one looked like crap.

However, I think if done properly with new side sills that are seamless and rear bumper and pipes that look like the Jeep SRT8, it would look fantastic.

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thatlooks damn UGLY. Now don't tell me it's in the eye of the beholder, as those eyes need serious laser surgery. Side pipes Rock, not Rap crap. Let Vette handle the rear end, THE END!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But i'm curious why everyone thinks the V10 is uneven? Did you happen to not notice they have paired cylinder firing? So basically blending the L&R side is merging equal pulses. They DO NOT have offset firing like a V8 where blending gases will help scavenge the opposing tubes.

Wrong and wrong again...

Here's the firing order

1, 10, 9, 4, 3, 6, 5, 8, 7, 2

Odd numbers = left side of engine

even numbers = right side of engine

On 2 of my Vipers, 10yrs apart, a true H pipe mounted about a foot downstream of the OE ex manifolds has dropped ETs more than .2 sec each time

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I decided not to do it.

I went to the muffler shop with the Round-oval pipes I ordered, and nothing we did looked good. I even spray painted the pipes matte black, but it still looked like absolute crap.

To kill the drone that was killing me, I have 3" corsa track sitting in my garage, goes on this thursday/friday.

And last but not least, musician earplugs (www.etymotic.com) that lower overall sound and let me listen to music clearly unlike the foam plugs that muffle the highs a lot more in proportion.

These plugs are so good I now use them in concerts and nightclubs.

Cheers.

idahoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ, thanks very much.for the link..I was wondering if anybody had any under carriage shots of a rear exaust? to see how they routed the pipes..
I know alot of guys hate the rear exaust..but i for one prefer the sound vs the side pipes.

Nick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would say if u had to do it do some custom flat black tips thru some cool black mesh in the rear bumper/diffuser and custom mold the side closed to look factory

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang