Rear Muffler Delete

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in deleting my rear mufflers. Any suggestions on a good place to do it in Denver area? Also will I need to supply tips or generally will the muffler shop have them?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any muffler shop can do it. Expect to pay between $100-$150. On mine they cut the tips off and welded them onto the H pipe. It's a terrific low-buck upgrade. I wish I hadn't waited so long to do it.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend Ron Hutchinson, operates a custom shop called Mobil Muffler. Excellent work at VERY reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, I don't have his number with me at the moment, but I'll update this post tonight...

Update: Ron / Mobil Muffler's number is 303 828 0503

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The loud part comes from removing the resonators (under the side sills) not the muffler. Removing the muffler alone will make it sound a little better, but nothing like the sound when each resonator is replaced with a straight pipe.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the bolt-in Snayke Oil set-up.

Went in nice, fits nice, and if you ever want to go back..the old parts are still in the attic. (No cutting.)

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of two GTSs- 1 '00 with 3k mi. and an '01 with 8k at the time I think, both had Snake-Oyl cat back exhaust, K&N drop in filters, and smooth tubes, installed at Woodhouse before delivered. Both dyno'd on the same day, within an hour of each other, same dyno, same tester, SAE corrected, both hit about 485-500 HP and their numbers were no more than 3 ticks away from each other at their best.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperzilla,

What was the rear wheel HP?

Everyone uses different flywheel correction numbers.

Thanks

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dropped mine, sounds great, dyno soon to find the gain, I heard dropping the resonators at the rear of the sills brings the note of the exhaust higher, a la ricer, with a 2 horse gain (this coming from Sean Roe on the phone). I didn't bother!

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I guess that the resonators alone are not too restrictive at all????

I think the resonators are restrictive because I have listened to Vipers with the muffler delete that had the resonators and ones including mine w/o the resonators and the resonators cars are much more subdued.

I had removed my resonators along with the mufflers. The shop made an X-pipe to replace the muffler and the sound is where it should be, nice and throaty. Tip selection will either deepen the sound or lighten it. My car sounds like a jet boat ideling in the water...very nice compared to the choked down stock. The resonators must go as a muffler delete makes very little difference in the loudness.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would respectfully disagree with the above, the muffler delete alone makes a tremendous difference in the level of noise and the quality therof. And according to dyno dasy tests ant Jason Heffvers delers a consistent 7-10 rwhp.

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to see the dyno from a stock car compared to the same car with cats and muffler deleted, just cats deleted and cats resonators and muffler deleted. I think this would be a good way to compare the upgrade to a 3" system without changing headers. The only dyno I have availible is an engine dyno. I would love to start a tuner shop here and have a chassis dyno. I may quit my job tomorrow and do this.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,
I really didn't think the sound of the muffler delete alone made a great deal of difference. I thought it was significantly louder and deeper w/o the resonators. I ponder HP difference with each setup, either way I think my lawnmower would have more HP than the difference in sum gain between the two. Besides the HP benefit I was only commenting on sound volume. :)

I'd like to hear a Viper running headers and straights all the way out.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll third Lee, although I dropped my rear muffler after installing 2000 headers and Roe 3" ovals. With the 2 latter mods the sound was nearly the same as stock. With the rear muffler removed it has perked up everything and it sounds awesome to me.

Tampa Chuck when I was visiting at your place with Slaughter the weekend of Mike's party didn't one of your friends show up on a Harley that said he dropped the resonators on his Viper and didn't like it all??? I forget, but after what I thought was his advice I called Sean Roe on it when ordering the cats and he said leave them in, they are a straight thru design with little baffling.

To each his own however, sound is subjective as it gets, kinda like all trying to agree on the best musical band, ain't gonna happen. I'd like to hear no resonators sometime........

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the look of the stock tips, and I'd like to do something cheap to make my car sound better.

Where do I go (muffler shop?) and what exactly do I ask for? (And what do I expect to pay?)

Am I going to get mufflers pulled off, straight pipes in place of it, then stainless tips put on? What size tips should I get?

Thanks guys,

-Chris

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, do a search on X pipe, you find all sorts of goodies.

My advice is you need a crossover of some type, even the angle of the X is in debate for sound. Mine is more an )( than a true X, and I like it.

I paid I think $200 bucks for the complete job. There is only 1 rear muffler to take out and replace with the crossover. (it is individually chambered however from memory).

Options galore for tips, as well as bring them inboard, leave em the same, or poke them out. I came out a touch to try and avoid soot building up on the rear stripes, doesn't help much. Shooting them out too far and you look like a tool in my book, to each his own.

If you hate the stock tips (I left mine in for OEM looks) then check out that jcwhitney site, not sure the addy, Gerald linked for me and had a good selection, his are nice whatevere he ran with (has pics).

To do a nice job on fittment the job should be done with the car there in the air, stick around and make sure you approve of placement for side to side, up to down, and in and out as you'll be living with it. Watch the welding sparks from paint damage to, I volunteered for the cover the paint in blankets job, go figure, haha.....

Good luck,

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the muffler and the reasonators are straight through full diameter design. Sound deadening is strictly thru turbulence as both use perforated internal pipes. Sound will change removal, but HP advantages are relatively small.

I have pictures of a cut up muffler if anyone cares.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH TIP SELECTION! They must not be too big or they will burn the paint off the rear bumper cover. I had 4" tips, and while they looked great, it wasn't a pretty sight during trade-in time.$$$

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard the Dyno Maxx racing mufflers and they sound awesome! Given, there were also a few other things done to the exhaust setup, but it was still LOUD!