Rear Taillight Removal and Bulb Change - 2002 GTS - Photos

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to load these up. I am sure a couple of your are saying "are you kidding?"... actually no. I tried a couple of searches and came across a few different threads pointing folks in a few directions. One that I found to be very odd was that you had to remove the whole back panel on the car to gain access to the lights. Seemed odd to me. Perhaps cars prior to 2002... I don't know. What I do know is that I am glad I poked around to see what gives first beforehand. Also... I had not seem any thread with photos. However simple this may be, I simply felt sharing the photos, in and of itself, would be good.

I had a Hazard Light issue and I needed to check the bulb. I won't get into that, but I decided that if I was back there, I'd change all the bulbs. There are a total of 10 bulbs back there in the tail light assemblies. All are 3157 bulbs. I went with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I figured I'd do it once. The bulbs are (including left and right) 6 for the brake lights, 2 for the reverse lights and two for the turn signals.

This is not rocket science so I won't go into huge detail. Just the basic info. The rest, I am sure, is pretty obvious.

First, pull the carpet back, carefully from inside the trunk up against the back. To do this, you will have to remove the vent "mesh" from the pins holding it on top on the flapper (one way) vent on each side. Once that is out, just gently band/fold the carpet out of the way. The speaker grills are held to the carpet so there is no need to take them off. Once there, you will see the five plugs (on either side).

You must be registered for see images attach

Remove the plugs...

Behind each hole is an 11mm plastic nut that holds the light in place. I used a screw driver style socket. It reaches fine.

The tail light (upper/larger unit) simply slides out. Be careful not to hit the paint. It's not hard. Mine just came out. I put a small towel below it just in case.

Once this is out, the lower lights are easy because you can see the nut and get the driver on it.

That's it. At this point, swap the bulbs and reverse the process. Install the lower light first so you can see the nuts going on, then put in the top. Replace the carpet and you are done.

No need to remove any body panel at all.....

Hope I saved somebody some time....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62