Recalls on 2013 Viper

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year and this year I got some letters from chrysler about recalls. Here's what I got so far:

- Window position sensor does not correctly roll up window when door is closed.
- Seat position sensor does not relay correct seat position to airbag deployment controller
- Door handle can short if wet and cause door to open while driving

Bonus:
- Software update for instrument cluster. Bug fixes I guess. Did not get a letter about this but the dealer did a search and it came up.

The only one I was able to get done at the dealer were the two software updates and I didn't notice any problems with my window going up too far or too little when the door closed, but I think that was addressed with one of the updates.

The service guy told me that to fix the seat sensor issue they'd have to remove both seats which is something I really don't want to do. Maybe SRT can comment on this one, but rather than replacing the sensor plate - why not recalibrate the computer and "zero" it out so that it provides the correct distance reading in spite of the sensor being installed incorrectly? No details about the door handle issue; no fix available....but let me guess, they'll have to remove the body from the chassis to apply rubber heat shrink tubing to one of the wires. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, none of these problems have affected me. I guess the seat sensor would only be an issue if you're in a situation where the airbag is deployed. The only issue I've noticed is that the stereo doesn't read the SD card reliably. Sometimes I have to re-insert the SD card to get it to load the music on there and I don't think there has been an update for the stereo and navi. Would be nice to have some fresh maps.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
less electronics that can fail in the older gen 2s ;) lol

But i havent been keeping up with the gen v, whats going on with the door handles?

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
less electronics that can fail in the older gen 2s ;) lol

But i havent been keeping up with the gen v, whats going on with the door handles?

There wasn't a lot of detail about the actual door handle problem, but the basic issue is that if enough water gets into the door handles it can short out the electronics that control the latch, causing the door to open (or at least unlock) at speeds "up to 18 MPH". I guess there is some kind of failsafe that keeps the doors locked at speeds >18 MPH so even the water did short it out, the doors won't unlock. I'm not worried about falling out of the car but I will definitely **** if you're going around a turn and a door swings open, slamming against a guard rail or another nearby vehicle.

Possible fix? Bungie cord the doors before driving off.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gotcha, i know my challenger has a feature that auto locks the doors at 15mph but you can also turn it off via the dash. Are they actually opening or just unlocking?

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess just unlocking and it hasn't happened to me so far.

orlanderlv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is in the shop right now for everything on this list. Been in service for almost 5 days now.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is the sealer they used to protect the electronics was failing. They corrected the problem later with a different sealer compound.

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think it is a recall but the hood vents were redesigned and have new part numbers assigned to each of the six hood vents for 2013 SRT Viper...don't know about GTS?

I actually provided all the new part numbers to my dealer and they ordered them and only 1 out of 6 that came is the new part....the other 5 are the previous parts I already had. Round 2....let's try again....

I would recommend checking the part numbers on the underside of the vents on 2013's. When mine blew off, fortunately it flew straight up about 15 feet and over the car (thanks speed...lol) and didn't hit the hood, windshield, top, etc.

New hood vent part numbers are as follows:

68141088AE
68141089AE
68141090AD
68141091AD
68183762AD
68183763AE

Each vent has it's own number...sorry to state the obvious, but thought I would clarify.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave