Recommended Tires

kshutts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 GTS. Done some work on it. Supercharger etc. So it really lights up the tires. To the point. I really need more tire or maybe just a softer rubber?
What is the largest rear tire I can put on it without having rubbing problems?
I have been told TOYO has a soft compound tire that might work.
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,

BadBrad72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toyo R888r have been the best tire I’ve had on my 2000 RT/10. Had the BFG, Michelin’s and never been able o drive 130km on wet road without the back feeling loose. These stick and I’m getting good wear on them. Last summer drove 15000 km and may be worn down had ways from new. I also run the rears at 26 psi with nitrogen. Wear is even across the entire tire. Can’t speak highly enough about them. Mine is not stock and holds it’s own again a last gen c7 Z06 with a 7 speed manual. Eels my buddies out by a bit.

Blue Vert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with George, call Jon. He recommended Continental Extreme Contacts for my 2008, which were evidently made especially for Vipers. The nice option is you can increase the rear tire size to 355/30ZR19 for a little more traction. I had been looking for Michelin's but could not find production dates post 2017. So I picked up a full set and with a stock engine, plus bellangers, and a chip flash from Prefix, I have a hard time breaking the tires loose. Very happy with them so far, made a big difference in launch traction.

Best of luck!

Andrew007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you live in places where there is no snow, you can refer to Continental ExtremeContact Sport

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Blu, and Old-Timer George!!

ps,,,, while returning recently from Utah Motorsports Park, [Pace Car duty Trans Am] we encountered patches of 1/4" snow, ice pellets, and Torrential rains. Conti Extreme Ctc tires handled it all, and 3 days of on-track pacing!

In the snow zones above 4000' our speed was HP-and visibility limited as was all traffic. 20-40 mph

KC Chief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just worked through the tire decision myself, it was rough! I had narrowed it down to the Toyo R888r and the Extreme Contacts. I ended up going with the Extreme Contacts, because of the available sizes. I have the 295 35 18 for the front, and the 355 30 19 for the rear. I really disliked the stretched look of the 275 35 up front. The Toyos look tough though, and have awesome grip, and if you can live with the 100 treadware, that's not a bad way to go either.

B-DiamondViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just worked through the tire decision myself, it was rough! I had narrowed it down to the Toyo R888r and the Extreme Contacts. I ended up going with the Extreme Contacts, because of the available sizes. I have the 295 35 18 for the front, and the 355 30 19 for the rear. I really disliked the stretched look of the 275 35 up front. The Toyos look tough though, and have awesome grip, and if you can live with the 100 treadware, that's not a bad way to go either.
KC Chief, I am in the process of getting new tires myself. Did the extra width in the front lead to any rubbing when turning? Did you go with the Contacts or Contact Sports?

Thx

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) I hope the stated front tire size is a TYPO.

2) Toyos NOT tough....to the contrary, soft and vulnerable to pavement defects. They can "chunk"

3) You paid too much. We BOTH lose.

[You needed a Viper Tire Expert as recommended above!?]

KC Chief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B-Diamond, they are the Extreme Contact Sports. I have not mounted them yet, as they just arrived.

Jon, by tough I meant looks-wise. Yes, they are soft as I referenced with the 100 treadware. My front tire size was not a typo, so I'll let you know if I need to eat my words. And, I'm truly sorry I didn't reach out, I was not fully aware of you, as I'm still new to the Viper game. I will not make that mistake again.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) I hope the stated front tire is a TYPO. You need a Viper Tire Expert as recommend above!?

2) You paid too much

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pasted from above, you said " I have the 295 35 18 for the front, and the 355 30 19 for the rear."

That is NOT a proper / preferred size for OE front.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
conti vs michelin ps2?
pros, cons?
No idea about Continentals, I’ve only ever ran Michelins and they are perfect in performance and milage, about 15,000 miles a set. But Michelin Pilot Sport 2, are you referring to Cup 2’s? If so it has only 5/16” of tread depth, new! Not good if you drive the car, they just won’t last, maybe 2500 miles or so.

FasrRice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Michelin pilot s4 2953018 and 3553019 plus some brand new never mounted sidewinders. I’ve used these tires for 10,000 miles in South Florida on my 21’ Supra and they’re absolutely the best all around performance tire I’ve ever had.

KC Chief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on this for those researching this topic in the future. I finally have my 2000 Viper on the ground with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport 295/35ZR-18 front and 355/30ZR-19 rear tires mounted. That 295/35 size is NOT A TYPO. The car is lowered on BC Coilovers, and for the record, there is no rubbing, and the hood clears the tires easily when lifting the hood. This is a nice setup as the front tires are not nearly as stretched as the previous 275s were. I did a lot of math and measuring beforehand. FYI, the front tire total sidewall showing is 206.5mm versus 213mm for the rear (top and bottom). The total wheel and tire heights are 26.13in front, and 27.39in rear. So the rear has slightly taller tire, and taller total height. If you have coilovers, you can dial in the preferred rake (1 inch according to others that autocross) while maintaining a level fender well wheel gap. Here's a pic of the final product:

Attachments

• Viper with Continentals.jpg
    Viper with Continentals.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 30

Nashonater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2002 RT/10 with aftermarket wheels. The previous owner installed Nitto Invos, and I have been impressed. I road tripped from eastern South Dakota to Colorado Springs last week, and got caught in a few rain storms along the way. I always get nervous to hydroplane in this car, but I never had cause for concern on the interstate in the wet. In town, it fought for traction until the water got slung out of the tread. I assume that's more a function of the width vs the tread itself, the Michelins I had on a previous car did the same thing. Got 23 miles per gallon on a few tanks too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper