Remark from Ford GT chief program engineer...

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a quote from Neil Hannemann, Ford GT chief program engineer:

"After working on this car for a year, I've come to realize the Viper is in a different class. The Ford GT is a real supercar, that's why we're going after Ferrari ... again"

I think he should be worried more about the SRT-10 than the 360 Modena that they are so anxious to compete with.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly I do not get it. As Russ Oasis mentioned on one of the SRT threads, any number of Viper owners can afford a Ferrari or Lambo, but for any number of reasons, they have chosen a Viper. All of us have looked at them and admired them but who wants to have a garage queen to look at and be afraid to drive or spend your time waiting for the next tow truck. This summer I plan to take my SRT up Highway 1 from Cambria to Seattle and I have no worries on performance or dependablity.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove by the building where they are developing the Ford GT and saw the benchmark red Ferrari 360 Modena sitting outside a few weeks ago. I for one love the thought of Ford developing the GT. Whether they are benchmarking the correct vehicle or not, who knows. I don't think this guys point is valid about the Viper not being in the same class as the Ferrari or that the Viper is not a supercar. On the contrary, the magazine tests all show how great the new Viper SRT-10's performance is. Now whether it has that certain exotic allure that you can't quite put your finger on that only cars with Italian names can have, well he is probably right.

I've noticed that a lot of you get your undies in a bind when some car is on the verge of coming out that may be the new king of the hill. I love my Viper, but.....if the GT can kick the Vipers butt then so be it. Not a flame to anyone in this particular post, but I've noticed a lot of people on this board a little insecure about their car and the thought of what car may beat it. Heck, there are people all over with [***] cars that are faster than our Vipers. Who gives a [***]. Just enjoy your car.

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who [******] cares, Mainly all that ford cars do is breakdown peice by peice and ford whines when its not #1 anymore. The GT-40 is GRRREAT!....WHEN it actually can take its pathetic V-8 Toting ass and Actually beat your magnificent vipers!

Who cares about little [******] ricers, they drive Peices of Shiot, with modded out engines, why not mod your cars then they have nothing to say.

I envy you people, with your American Modern Cobras, Why be scared, all the GT is, is a image builder, if you are going to get panziish about your cars, then give them to me, I'll gladly take them.

anyway enjoy your cars,and forget the competition, we are here to enjoy 1 car, not be scared of others.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of you get your undies in a bind when some car is on the verge of coming out that may be the new king of the hill. I love my Viper, but.....if the GT can kick the Vipers butt then so be it. Not a flame to anyone in this particular post, but I've noticed a lot of people on this board a little insecure about their car and the thought of what car may beat it. Heck, there are people all over with [***] cars that are faster than our Vipers. Who gives a [***]. Just enjoy your car.

I don't think it's insecurity. I think it's just part of the fun; part of embracing one thing; part of being on one team; part of playing the game of being a Viper owner - just like all the other car players: Corvette owners, Mustang owners, et cetera. It's way more fun playing the game than just saying, yeah, I have one of those. Man, play the game, or get off the team! Go by a Honda Accord! Hah-hah.

You must be registered for see images

Brian Kelly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil Hannemann used to race Vipers in the World Challenge back in 97 or 98 along with Bobby Archer I believe and was employed by Chrysler at some point. It sounds like typical company PR. If they told him to say the Mustang was a "real supercar" he would.
Vipers rule for now, and will later too. They can do a GT40 or 41 or whatever it takes and it still won't equal the Viper's uniqueness, appeal and history. And don't ever think John Fernandez won't up the ante if necessary.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta love marketing, even if it is from a Program Engineer.

Definition of a "Real Supercar" - something that is:

1) Silly expensive
2) Impossible to maintain
3) Impossible to get parts for
4) Rarely seen on the road

If that is where the "GT" is headed, oh well, to bad, waste of a perfectly good idea. Remember, Ford couldn't barely sell REAL GT-40's even after winning LeMan's.... why? Because it was a "Real Supercar" :)

I happen to love my Viper because it does not fit the "Real Supercar" definition, I can work on it in my garage, it's engine, though potent is a push rod beauty that is simple to work on, and if I need parts, I can call my local Dodge dealer and have pretty much anything in a day.

The GT is cool, no doubt. The real question is why would Ford want to compete against the Viper? Based on the Engineers comments, he should be concerned with Neal's previous project, the Saleen.... but that would not make very goo press... so they have picked on Ferrari. Maybe sillier, why would Ford THINK Ferrari owners would want a GT? Neal and his team appear to have lost it. At 150K the GT will be unapproachable and unobtainable. Great Marketing Ford. Make something no-one can buy.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I have one more comment. It is my prediction(worth about 2 cents) and I am expressing my opinion after commentatary with PVO engineers at VOI7 at the drag races in Bowling Green that we will see the SRT coupe with all the horsepower to take care the the GT-40 and have paddle shifters to boot! Define supercar.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I sense Motor City Madman leaning toward a Ford?!?

Granted I'm not a very big fan of Ford's outright obsession with cribbing from old designs, and frankly I hate the thought of supercharging a car that's supposed to be a Le Mans killer, if it whups ass, good.

As for the class thing, I don't know. The Viper definitely has otherworldy performance, but I've never thought of it as a supercar. Supercars tend to be more **** than the brash and brawn of the Viper(which is certainly not a bad thing). And they ten to break all kinds of things and be ridiculously expensive. The Viper just kind of seems like the ultimate muscle car, rather than a lithe slippery supercar. But it's mainly perception.

I'm working on arranging us a test drive of the GT Madman. My old man is somewhat of a honcho at the blue oval and I harass his ass constantly to see when they're gonna let me roll in it. I told him to tell John Colletti I want a piece of his girly little GT whenever he wants to give it a go...hehe. So hopefully me, you, the GT and the Viper can make a mess of the Southfield freeway someday soon. :laugh:

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I sense Motor City Madman leaning toward a Ford?!?

Granted I'm not a very big fan of Ford's outright obsession with cribbing from old designs, and frankly I hate the thought of supercharging a car that's supposed to be a Le Mans killer, if it whups ass, good.

As for the class thing, I don't know. The Viper definitely has otherworldy performance, but I've never thought of it as a supercar. Supercars tend to be more **** than the brash and brawn of the Viper(which is certainly not a bad thing). And they ten to break all kinds of things and be ridiculously expensive. The Viper just kind of seems like the ultimate muscle car, rather than a lithe slippery supercar. But it's mainly perception.

I'm working on arranging us a test drive of the GT Madman. My old man is somewhat of a honcho at the blue oval and I harass his ass constantly to see when they're gonna let me roll in it. I told him to tell John Colletti I want a piece of his girly little GT whenever he wants to give it a go...hehe. So hopefully me, you, the GT and the Viper can make a mess of the Southfield freeway someday soon. :laugh:

I guess maybe I never told you I work for Ford too. :D I'm probably not as much of a honcho as your Dad, but maybe when I get his age I will be. I am of course excited that my company is going to build this GT. Now if I only had $150,000 burning a hole in my pocket and had a choice between the GT and let's say a Ferrari-I'd buy the Ferrari. Although the Ferrari's aren't going for anything near sticker at the moment unless you order them 2 or 3 years in advance. But if I had all the money in the World I'd buy the GT-40 too. I take a lot of good natured ribbing about working for Ford and owning a Viper, but Ford didn't build anything close to a supercar when I bought this thing.

Ford purposely made the GT very close in appearance as part of their 100 year anniversary, and the same with the new T-bird. I think it's kinda cool myself. I'm not too happy about it having to come with a supercarger myself as it doesn't leave much room to upgrade with mods.

If you can arrange for us to take the GT out for a spin by all means do. We'll see what it can do against the Viper. I'd be happy just riding in the thing. The Ford racing club drag races at Milan once a month. We were trying to talk the guys into bringing the GT out there one night. They brought the '03 Cobra out there for the racing night a few months before it went on sale. I'm sure they'd turn the timing lights off and run solo though so no one could see what it ran.

As far as people dissing the GT before it even comes out and saying there's no way it will beat a Viper, etc, etc. I'm sure the Vette boys were saying the same thing about the Viper before it came out. Time will tell. Competition in the performance car World is a beautiful thing. We all benefit.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I'd like an "IN" on a ride or viewing if possible. I dont live too far from the Madman. Even if its only a viewing. I have talked to several dealers to and put my name on a list for the car. I would be be so grateful. If it makes them feel better I'll bring the supercharged miata(at least part Ford) thanks so much Mike

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that if the program engineer from Ford read Motor Trend, he'd realize that the SRT-10 is the benchmark, not the 360. Viper beat the 360 in all the categories if my memory serves me correctly (I don't have the mag here). BTW, you can bet the PVO has something up their sleeve for when the GT-40 is ready. Daimler is not going to let anyone claim bragging rights after all this hard work to get where we are.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford have their new 427 up their sleeve - wonder if it'll fit in the GT40?

That'd make it a real GT40!

Not that DC should be worried - the V10 has not yet reached its limits! :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I love all performance cars, but mostly those I can afford, or maybe stretch to afford. (GT40!) And I like American cars predominantly, not because they necessarily are better, but because they are from my country, and I like to feel proud about what I drive. But I also would buy F cars, and P cars, if I had unlimited money. But my imaginary 12 car garage would fill up first with American machinery, then foreign.

The GT is an icon, and even if it ends up being only slightly faster than the SRT because of its lighter weight, its still attractive enoough to warrant a spot in my future stable. (Notice how I am dreaming now?!!!)

I've been thinking about the Enzo, how it does 0-100 in 6.67 seconds, which is light years ahead of the Muci, 360, SRT, and probably the GT too.

I think that is the new benchmark for production street car performance. (That is, if the Enzo can be called a production street car. At 375 units, its hardly a factor, realistically) If Ford would start with a carbon fiber tub and body, and a big block, maybe we could have an American Enzo ******. (Notice how I'm still dreaming at this point)

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Viper because it it a DODGE. No way, no how I would ever buy a Ford or any other type of car. Never have never will. My car is a DODGE oh yea model Viper.

Mopar or no car.

Dean

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar or no car.

I've never heard that said before. You should make it your signature. Yes, it's that good. :)

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Viper because it it a DODGE. No way, no how I would ever buy a Ford or any other type of car. Never have never will. My car is a DODGE oh yea model Viper.

Mopar or no car.

Dean

That is funny. I love my Dodge Viper and all, but I don't really think there is anything more special about a "Dodge" than a "Ford" or even a "Chevy". The Viper is a very special Dodge of course and there were some cool Dodge muscle cars back in the day-but I thought only Al Bundy truelly loved Dodge.

Speaking of the Ford GT, I got some really cool hi res pictures of it in the Ford company sponsored employee online service today. I don't know if they have been released to the media yet, so I don't really want to post them. One has Carroll Shelby standing with Neil Hannemann next to one of the GT prototypes.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to use that "Mopar or no car" remark a lot, but selling lots of Ford F-series trucks basically pays my bills and buys my toys, so I gotta sorta like Ford. I even sell GM vehicles, and that stuff's junk. But I do tell the buyers that, as it is simply the right thing to do.

Ferraris and Lambos have limited options for being modified with the lift kits and 39" Swampers my buyers fancy, so I've sold none of those. And finally, since my buyers, about 99% male, appear to have no issues with "gender confusion," I don't stock Miatas, Z3s, anything that ends with "ette," or other such effete thilly goofy thingies...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from Neil Hannemann, Ford GT chief program engineer:

"After working on this car for a year, I've come to realize the Viper is in a different class. The Ford GT is a real supercar, that's why we're going after Ferrari ... again"

I think he should be worried more about the SRT-10 than the 360 Modena that they are so anxious to compete with.

Well, they are going after Ferrari, but only the 360 Modena!

If Ford really wants to claim to be going after Ferrari, they have to take down the Enzo.

That would entail lots of carbon fiber, and 700+ HP, maybe all-wheel drive would help. Big development bucks, no market for it, sounds like something Ford won't do. The GT is already a costly marketing tool.

The GT is a showy flagship, made to attract attention to a company that is a gazillion dollars in debt.

I'm glad they are doing the GT, and God willing, I'll park one next to my snake! I love all sports cars!

Lastly, I would hope that all our domestic manufacturers weather the economic storm, unleashed by NAFTA and GATT, that ***** jobs out of this country.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the looks for the GT40. Very old style.. I psss on it and Mr.hanzzz

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree that PVO is simply biding their time to evaluate the real effect of the GT as well as the new C6 corvette. THEN we will see our beloved coupe. and if their smart, with a new international killer called the GTS/R to match...back to LeMans my friends, back to LeMans...

pit

meggleto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a couple GT40's and the car looks sweet. If I were getting a new car I'd jump with the GT40. If the 03 Viper were as nice as the GTS's then it'd be a tough choice but none of the new Vipers I've seen have the look that makes me say "I've gotta have that car!". I suspect that some of you haven't seen the GT40 in person and thus can't really get a feel on how good the car looks.

As far as modding a car that's already supercharged goes....the stock supercharged car is the best deal. You get the forged internals with low compression already from the factory. Plus you get the ECU and fuel system that is already set up to react to boost. (ie. no cheesy VEC1/2)You can switch superchargers, or just get a smaller supercharger to raise boost and get a huge power gain.

The engine is still a 5.4liter V8 so you can get plenty of power from it with a head cam and more boost. The chevy guys are starting to make pretty good power with the supercharged Z06's so modding the Gt40 will be much cheaper and the car will be light enough that it won't need 1000rwhp to kick butt and take names. Getting 150-200hp/liter out of the engine like some of the supra owners do shouldn't take too much $ or effort.

I'm glad Ford is building the GT40 and hopefully DCX understands the potential of the car and makes a nicer looking Viper with the power to equal or beat the Ford GT40 because it gives us all better choices before EPA shuts down the stock HP party.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I really like the GT40. Here's the problem. When it was first anounced, predicted price around $80,000. That got everyone REALLY excited. Then $100,000 - Some still excited. Then $120,000 (Please stop...). Now it is up to $150,000+, nearly the price of two Vipers. Not to mention the weight has climbed from 2800 to 3000 to 3200. Nice car, but $150,000+ for a car with 500 HP at 3200 pounds? Hmmm.... Seems like the Viper is there for half that. Given, it doesn't have the looks. BUT JUST WAIT UNTIL THE COUPE COMES OUT!!!

meggleto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point on the price. You could get a GT40 or an 800hp supercharged GTS/SRT plus some spare change. Hopefully it won't be $150K and will be more around the $100-$120K. They'll probably still sell them all at the high price just because of the history of the car name but most of them will never hit the streets. At least when people buy Vipers they drive them to more than car shows and have some fun with the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32