Remember the first time you drove a Viper?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you remember the first time you drove a Viper? I think everybody does, I wanted to know what it was like before I popped for the $85K so in 1995 I rented a '94 Viper. It was unbelievable, in '99 I started actively looking and bought a 2000. Sorry about the picture quality I had to scan a photo. In 24 hrs. I put on 300 of the most fantastic miles I could imagine, it definitely got me hooked :headbang:

You must be registered for see images attach

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1995 I was in vegas with a buddy, so we rent a 1995 rt-10 from sun belt car rental [don't think they are in business anymore] we drove it up to rachel which is near the entrance to area 51, with the top off got it up to 176mph in 5th. tried 6th but then it started to slow down. I had a zr-1 at the time and decided to switch over.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also rented a yellow 95 in Las Vegas from Dream Car Rentals maybe 8 yrs ago. It was summer and 114 degrees there. The top was off and the leather seats were HOT. That is when I learned how hot the side sills can get really quickly. Me and girlfrient (now wife) drove it through Red Rock Canyon and had the time of my life despite the heat. I thnk I got very close to the 100 mile limit that day. I am amazed how much it helps the decision process to rent a car before eventually buying it which is actually what I was doing since I have wanted a Viper since the 1989 concept came out.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time was 1999 out of the dealer show room for my 99 GTS when I traded in my 96 Corvette Grand Sport. Now on my 3rd snake.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1999 My friend bought a 2nd hand, one owner 1994 Viper, we had to drive about 40 miles to the showroom to pick up the car and do all the paperwork. We drove to the garage in his Porsche. Then we left the garage with him following me driving HIS new Viper :D He was not used to driving LHD and it was starting to get dark and we were hitting rush hour traffic on the motorways, I still managed to give it a bit of Gas now and again ;) Bloody Great. It was even better when we took the car down to Le mans the following year :)

Mark UK

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
March 2010, I didn't know how to back it out the spot...

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, I told the owner of the car I was buying it felt slow. It wasn't neary explosive as my previous car. But I really didn't drive it all that hard either and still don't.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For many years since I was a kid, I have visualized what it would be like and feel like to drive a Viper. Finally, in 2008 when I was ready to buy one I went and drove one from one of the people who was selling. It felt slightly slower from what I have imagined, but I was nice to the guys car and very careful. The second Viper I test drove, I bought. The car ended up everything what I imagined and more.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, when I got my 98 in 08 my first drive lasted 6 hours in the rain. Never been so puckered up in my life.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first time driving a Viper was when I picked up my ACR in Butler, MO and drove it home in September, 2008. My wife who was following me kept telling me on the radio how many people would turn to look.

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen that pic....
Had no money back then but knew my time would come...... Bought my first in '99 for too much money so lived like the many noobs here with a fat note..... Times change and so do fortunes. (I also remember my first f---)....

haha..

Last edited:

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, it was @ my wife's graduation party 4 years ago. Her uncle brought his 97 GTS and let me take it out...one of the best days of my life! That sealed the deal that I was getting one.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, When I decided to buy I went to look at one in STL. I ask the guy to drive me around because I had never driven one. He did some spirited driving and then pulled over and let me try it. It was a Gen 1 and the first thing I noticed was how narrow the floor room was and how close together the pedals were. Then at a stop sign I missed the gate and started off in 3rd. It had no problem pulling out in 3rd, pretty impressive really. That particular car was not the one for me, but I came away from that drive more hooked than ever.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I drove one was during an SRT Track Experience at Sears Point and it was raining out. This was back when Skip Barber was running the SRT days and attendees could drive the Vipers. It was a lot of fun blasting around that road course even though it was raining. This was back in late 05.

Last edited:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2003 a friend called saying a used carlot had a red Gen 1 and it had "been lowered, a chopped windshield and aftermarket wheels". I went as soon as I got off work and when I get there, it was a bone stock 94' :rolaugh: It had been traded in by a local guy in his early 20's for a SUV. I told them I wanted to drive it 1st before deciding if I wanted it, so me and the salesman took it for a 15 mile test drive. On the drive, the salesman told me it had a salvage title. That killed any interest I had in the car, but it was still one of those days I'll never forget. Here's a cell phone pic of the car I took that day:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

August 11, 1993

97 degrees, no stinkin' A/C. Reliable just showed up with barely an hour's notice and the dealer called me. I still had my work boots on...

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier this year. Had already purchased the car and flew down to San Diego to pick it up. The owner picked me up at my hotel and took me to his garage where the car sat. He said there she is and handed me the keys. I was incredibly nervous but drove it home to Portland, OR with my Dad. We had a blast!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only pic I have of my first viper was taken by my wife, on the day I sold it..... She knew what I didn't ... I'lll assume she thought it was the end but a year later, another gen 1 appeared in my garage....and I'm looking for another lately.

48 Viper

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was able to buy mine from the Military Overseas Sales Department (2% below MSRP) in 1995. The car was shipped from the factory to Hawaii, but was a couple months late. At the time, the Hawaii markup was $25K and I picked mine up for $52K total. Before I pulled the trigger, I checked with the Insurance company and they quoted me $350 every six months, which as half of what my '84 Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo cost in 85. Had terrible service from the dealer, who left my car outside for four days after it arrived and scratched the paint when filling up the gas, so I picked the car up during lunch. My wife had to follow me as I drove in a brand new red '95, top off on a sunny Honolulu day, Led Zepplin on the radio and wearing my summer white uniform (had hair back then so I did not need a hat). A top ten day for sure. Because of what she saw on the street (everyone turned to watch me drive by), she forbidded me from letting anyone ride in the car without her permission. Her rule was, "she owned the passenger sear" and we had shared custody on the drive seat. Fortunately, the '95's were prone to buck at slow speed/idle in first gear, and she stopped wanting to drive it after a few years. Now it is pretty much mine to do as I please, and the passenger sear is filled by a sweet looking 15 year old blond (my daughter, ok!) who now has a permit and thinks it should be hers. I've been told that we were on HotRod TV showing this years Power Tour, but I can't seem to pull the video off the web. The only drawback of owning a viper is that it has prevented me from finding a '71 Hemi Cuda, but I'm still looking. Turned down the 03 because of the more refined styling (although I would have liked getting the motor and a functional top), and my wife has moved on to a Lexus. She does not believe me that if we got another one, it would be hers to drive. Maybe the 2013 will win her back.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
picked the RT up in 96 for a 150 mile drive home, no roof or windows got on the motorway for the cruise back, also first time in a left hand drive, it started to rain and didnt know how to turn the wipers on. Luckliy it didnt last and at a decent speed most of it blew over the top

there's was only a handful of vipers in the UK back then, so you can imagine the looks. I then booked a week off work to enjoy it :)

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold my 06 Corvette, and was beginning a search for my new vehicle...a C6Z06. Being a diehard GM guy, that was the natural progression. However, I'd been put off with no open-air option on the Z06, so I started looking at Vipers. I knew I would never own one since it was a Dodge...

A local member PMed from the Alley and warned me from asking stupid noob questions, so I met up with him to check out his immaculate 00 RT/10. While I didn't care for it, it started some more aggressive searching. Coincidentally, my wife's Boss had a lifelong friend that had just bought a black 03 Vert to quickly flip. I found out about it, and organized a ride. I was immediately drawn to the new lines, interior and overall build quality. Once we got on the road...oh man, it was great. It had a loud aftermarket exhaust, short shifter and was tight as hell inside - all of which I couldn't get enough of. We got to our midway point to turn around and come home, he pulled over, and to my complete surprise, let me drive.

That ride sealed it for me - 10 minutes was all it took. I had never felt so connected to a vehicle before - I loved the seating position and arrangement. I loved the looks and sounds, and most of all, I loved the performance, braking and handling....well, what I could experience in 10 minutes. I completely abandoned my search for the Vette, and ultimately decided on a Paxton'd 03 black Vert. What a beast! Sold it this past winter, and am on Viper #2!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First 20-30 seconds were hysterical. Had my wife with me and didn't realize how punchy these cars were at 5 mph. Didn't even get to the main road when she looked at me with her sun glasses half-on/half-off with her hair down in her face and said" Are you sure you know how to drive this thing?" :omg:

Ahh, memories.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I ever even sat in a Viper is when I flew to Detroit, bought my RT/10 and started my 1,200 mile drive back to Tampa the same day. It had 488 cubic inches, a stick and big fat tires, I didn't need a test drive to find out if I'd like it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first drive was when I picked mine up. What sealed it for me though was the first ride...... raw and fast, reminded me of the late 1960's big blocks I remembered being scary-fast (they weren't by today's standards, but we all remember them that way) but with the great Gen2 styling and modern (for the time) suspension and safety stuff. Had to go out and get one.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first drive was a short 15 minute drive from Elizabeth, NJ back to Linden, NJ and I was taking it nice and easy as the roads were still a little wet from an earlier rain. I couldn't wipe the "Perma-smile" off my face....kinda like another 1st. I parked it in front of the house, walked inside and looked at myself in the mirror, yep, that smile would not go away!!

I then watched tv and looked at her out the window as person after person got whiplash and screaming to whomever was in the car with them "That's a Viper!!". Hilarious entertainment! My girlfriend arrived home from Brazil two days later and the look on her face was priceless!

My Viper was my "divorce trophy", meaning I bought it once I'd completely paid off my divorce......man what a trophy it is! That was 40k miles ago.

Regards,
Aaron

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These stories are awesome! For me, first time I ever sat in a Viper I was about 15 and a neighbor owned a local Caddy dealer in town and brought a new 94 RT10 home. He was cool enough to let me sit in it and started it up, I will NEVER forget the feeling (a lot like another first time doing something :D ) First time to drive it, about a year ago when I bought the identical car I sat in as a kid, all I can remember about that day was seeing her pulled out at the dealership waiting for me, I actually got weak in the knees, we have had a love affair ever since...