Removal of radiator shroud for extra cooling

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright, maybe this is obvious to the more experienced peanut gallery out there, but I took a long hard study of both the NACA Duct area as well as all related posts to the subject of cutting out the rain baffle. Upon closer inspection, I found that there is a a plastic shroud cover over the top of the radiator compartment. It is held in place by four slot/tabs and four trim screws. Upon removing this cover(and replacing the trim screws), I found it opened the duct intake area to the cooler air that enters through the grill.

I am sure this is the area Vipair and Vararam have you install their "plastic fantastic" kits to direct hurricane force winds through your intake. I'm not so sure this is such a good idea as there is a lot of radiator surfaces inside this area that depend on that airflow for proper cooling and would suffer from even a moderate amount of redirection(to get direct air from the closest grill opening would end up blocking close to a third of the main radiator surface).

I am also pretty sure that there is plenty of air coming through the grill to cool the radiators and also feed cooler air to the intake rather than have it pull through the inefficient NACA Duct or the hotter engine compartment air it also has access to. This cover was probably put there to keep rainwater from splashing up into the intake area, but this would be quite a feat of anti-gravity even if splashed up by a puddle. Anyway, in the Vegas heat, I will take any advantage I can get and it sure beats cutting up my stock airbox. I will let you know if I can notice a difference.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cover, as you have surmised, is to keep proper flow to the radiator surfaces. Judging from past discussions, there is more than enough air going through there to cool the radiator surfaces. The assumption is that the radiator is not sufficient enough to cool the water, therefore replacement radiators such as Fluidyne and Ron Davis with more capacity. I think that you should be okay if you scavange air from that area as long as you seal it up properly so that you still have proper flow to the OEM radiator. JMHO.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw little or no difference when I replaced my stock radiator with the Fluidyne. I suggest putting in the Roe Front Facia Kit before spending the extra money on the aftermarket radiator. The problem is not the radiator,per se, but that there isn't enough air getting to the radiator. I noticed immediate lower temperatures when the Kit was installed on my car. Just my $.02 Good luck with whatever solution you choose. :)

Renan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im running a fluidyne and noticed a large difference in cooling performance, mostly at the track. in fact I had to make this modification as my car would run near the red toward the end of the track session

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Renan, you aren't going fast enough at Willow Springs to get the car up to temp! :) Good to see you at the track last weekend in the RT.

-Jonathan

OP
OP

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, you scared me a little with the radiator concern. I compromised by cutting a foot wide hole on the shroud cover and left the edge nearest the radiator attached. I bent it downward to form a mini-air dam that should allow cooler air from the grill to flow into the intake without robbing too much airflow from the radiator. Looks good too, I took my time and sanded the edges to give it a finished look. Did something similar to my '98 Vette.